Up Owners Club banner

101 - 120 of 124 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Yeah. It was weight saving that was my main motivation for the change and after creating a list comparing weights of lots of different options these were the absolute lightest wheels that I could find.

This is where someone now pops up and tells me about other options that are lighter :p

·
Registered
95 Posts
My OZ’s above are Alleggerita hlt 16x7 et37
14,1kg with 205/45-16 tire

OEM wheel and tire 17,9kg
I thought they looked familiar - I had the same (larger size though obviously) in light gold on my old 996 Turbo.

I imagine they make a nice difference to the steering feel?

·
Registered
118 Posts
Some answer to some questions and a bit more..

Re Macc, my wife is a Cheshire girl and we lived in Sale for a few years, hence my office is still down south. My Mil actually lives on the edge of Macc Forest a mile or so above Langley and I stay with her when I need to go to the office - the Cat and Fiddle and A54 are one of my stomping grounds. I started the day yesterday on the A54.

My Sparcos were only 475 from Demon Tweeks and came delivered fitted with tyres for around £725 - Which is a bit of bargain although I would agree that they dont look as nice as the Oz.

finally to follow up my earlier post I found my pressure gage and adjusted the pressures down and got the front end of the car back! I had 33psi on the front left. Also amusingly I triggered the warning light again on the M6 half an hour later lol.

finished my trip away with an epic afternoon of driving yesterday.. posted this on the facebook group whilst on the road having dinner.. did Sedburgh - Brough - Teesdale - Alston - Bellignham - Kielder - Bonchester Bridge - Jedborough - then routed over to Duns and a final down the epic Grantshouse road and then a short run op the A1to Haddington and a late flat out jump over the hill to home.

The Up was brilliant through Teesdale and Weardale - going absolutely pinned through some of the fast open cambered corners. and the stretch from Bellingham to Keilder Village, especially alongside the river - god I have always loved that stretch - its so flowing - proper state of flow driving, even from this car.

Then last ten mins from home, properly wet, rainsports acting like its dry, full beam on and hammering for home. magic.

There is a blue MGB somewhere around Alston still must be wondering what it was that went by it 🤣

·
Registered
6 Posts
Well, what a testimonial for 16" wheels. As a matter of interest are the tyres 45 profile as expected or are they 50?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hi Everyone,

I have just bought an Up Gti and was looking to do the switch down to 16’s also. I think I will go for the Sparco wheels as they look like a neat fit with regards to offset etc. Just wondering what tire size the owner of the red up used with his wheels?
And also I will be selling my mint Oswald wheels with the factory tires (9000miles) and wonder what kind of money they would fetch.

Regards,

Simon.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I just put 195/45's on my R16 wheels but I know others have used 205's.

I have a set of MY2020 Oswald wheels with just 950 miles on the tyres that I'm thinking of putting on Ebay but I am also unsure about the value. There's only one set on there at the moment (from Germany, with the old badges) for £1100 and a single wheel for £370. Seems pricey but I haven't kept an eye on prices so don't really know.

I'm in two minds about selling them, tempted to just keep them to swap back when I come to sell the car which also means I can pop one in the boot as a spare in case I get a puncture.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Do you have a picture of the wheels and tyres you have fitted? I am thinking of MSW 16 x 6.5 in gun metal (there are images of these online fitted to an up Gti) and Advan AD08rs in 205/45 16. Will this give me a nice square fit on the wheel?

·
Registered
118 Posts
Mine are 195/45s and they look fine on the wheel but that sort of thing is not really my interest so don't know if they are square or not. I can say that the car is going really well on the rainsprots - excellent tyre.

I did another big miles trip last week as I had a customer in Melton Mowbray to visit.. its just a nicer car to daily drive on the smaller wheels.

Made some short work of a motorway stomp up the M6 friday night - its not shy of sustained outside lane work..

·
Registered
118 Posts
I need to get my standard wheels sold, the credit card is not going to pay itself lol.

A couple of them are kerbed so I need to get them fixed and made mint first.

·
Registered
8 Posts
16x7 et40 Speedline Turini (with 205 45 premium contact 6) fit very nicely. Loads of clearance to brakes and suspension.Steering slightly heavier and the ride is transformed. Wheels even came with the right bolts and 57.1mm spigot ring.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Great wheels and they sound like they've hit the spot!

Just a personal opinion but as soon as the original wheels come off they really don't look like a GTi anymore to me.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Am very interested in downsizing to 15's or 16's on my GTI when it arrives, and just storing the factory wheels.

We have a Move Up with 15" Fortalezas on Conti Eco 5's already, will try those first to see just how much difference the squishiest and least grippy possible substitution makes ! Kind of a reference point to work back from.

It's frustrating to see that genuine VW 16's mentioned (Upsilon, Triangle) seem to have problems with caliper clearance. I would love to just get some Upsilons and stick some grippy 185/50 16s on them and be similar to the factory GTI look.

The Alleggeritas are amazingly light. I think I would like the look of them if you could fit VW centre caps but I guess that isn't possible ?

Anyone know of a light-ish silver or titanium aftermarket alloy in 16" that you can stick VW centre caps onto ?

·
Registered
108 Posts
Yeah. It was weight saving that was my main motivation for the change and after creating a list comparing weights of lots of different options these were the absolute lightest wheels that I could find.

This is where someone now pops up and tells me about other options that are lighter :p
Uppy - I wonder if it's worth creating a thread on here to list possible wheel swaps for the GTI, with prices and weights ? There's lots of info buried deep in discussion threads but I haven't spotted anything that's like a reference ?

·
Registered
68 Posts
Uppy - I wonder if it's worth creating a thread on here to list possible wheel swaps for the GTI, with prices and weights ? There's lots of info buried deep in discussion threads but I haven't spotted anything that's like a reference ?
Yeah, would probably be worth the effort. I added some weights to another wheel thread (if you haven't seen it already) : GTI alloys specs?

I'm pretty sure you could get VW centre caps for the OZ wheels. There are plenty of different designs on Ebay. I know as I've already looked - I lost one of my OZ centre caps after my first fast drive. Mustn't have been fitted properly by the tyre fitters :confused: I've got a new OZ replacement cap on order from Italy, they are big bucks!

·
Registered
108 Posts
This set of 4 new Triangle 16's is £427 new on ebay:

Does that seem like a good deal if I was trying to keep a factory look ?

Can anyone recommend some approx 4mm spacers ? That will take care of both the caliper clearance issue and the difference in offset from the Oswalds.

If I put 195/45's on these, overall diameter is about 1% less. Not sure I want to go out to 205/45's, a bit wide for a 6J rim ? Tyre prices and choice are great for both sizes, much better than for 185/50's.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
That's a very fair price for OEM alloys. I'd personally go for the standard fit tyre on that 6 x 16" rim, ie 185 x 50 x 16". We have 16" Upsilon's on our Tsi, and the ride is way better on the 50 series tyres, & far better than my Gti, and I think a 195 is too wide for a 6" rim, you may lose some sharpness of the handling with too much rubber.

101 - 120 of 124 Posts