Up Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought i would check/top up my tyres today. I checked with my pressure gauge and they were all at 30 psi or less. Strange as they were at 34 f and 32 r last week. Of course the tyres could have been hot when i checked last week as it was a hot day or the gauge may not be accurate.
I connected the air pump to a tyre,started the engine and plugged the pump into the 12 volt socket. Switched the pump on and after only one second the pump stopped.I tried my spare pump and nothing, so the fuse has blown again.
There is obviously something that is causing the fuse to blow,so it looks like another trip to the dealer when i can be bothered. I am sure it must be a warranty job. At least i can have another go at them about the drive away door locking.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys.When i went to the VW dealer a couple of weeks ago they said they knew which fuse it was yellow in colour and they changed it. I tested the pump when i got home and it worked fine as did my spare pump. I have not used it since.
Then today the pump did work,but only for a second and then stopped.
Yes the pump probably is rubbish,but my spare pump was very cheap ( rubbish ) when i bought it years ago but it always worked fine in my Smart,so i still think something is making the fuse blow in my UP GTI.
I am fed up with it. I think i will just buy a foot pump or a mains operated pump. They are expensive though. A Michelin mains pump in Halfords costs £85-00. That ok if it lasts a lifetime.

·
Registered
747 Posts
Those Michelin pumps don't last a lifetime, trust me. I thought I was doing the right thing when I bought one, lasted 5 years or so.

·
Registered
207 Posts
The pump motor is an inductive load, so at startup there is a big inrush current. A quality pump should probably have a limiter to damp the inrush a bit. One answer is to find and use a "slow blow fuse" that tolerates a short, high current spike. Much cheaper than a good quality pump. Another way around the problem is to start the pump before clamping it to the valve - a bit fiddlier, but it may help if the pump motor is not seeing an instant high load at startup.

Chinese pumps vary - I suspect a Michelin one is a chinese one badged to be a Michelin, with a few £££ for it having a badge.

I have had to try several pumps over the last few years - my fifth wheel needed 62 PSI - but i bought a chinese one via Amazon recently for about £35, and it has been very good.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks 911ts3. I guess nothing lasts forever. Yes freemansteve, but other GTI owners do not seem to have the problem with the pump or the fuse blowing. I used my cheap pump on my Smart for years and the cars fuse never blew.
Is your pump the P.I.Auto Store pump? It is on ebay for all sorts of prices £50 to £80.
I could just pump my tyres up in Sainsburys who have a free air pump,but its 6 miles away,so the tyres will be hot by then. I guess i should still get the fuse problem sorted,even if it is just so i can use the socket for my Tom Tom which i use around once or twice a year.
As i have said it is a fault so it must be a warranty issue surely.
Come back Smart,all is forgiven. It is strange how a small problem can put you off a car. I was loving my UP GTI but now im looking at prices of Mini Coopers and Toyota Aygos for a swap. No i must not be silly. Im sure i can get this sorted.

·
Registered
189 Posts
could you not just let the tyre down ( use the bleed valve on the original compressor ) as you start the pump,that will stop the surge

·
Registered
207 Posts
Does anyone know if the fuse is shared with any other electrical items? If so, it may be that when the ignition is on - as it needs to be to switch the cigar socket live - something else is pulling current through that fuse so that the sum of current when the pump is on is too much. It'd have to be lot as, if I recall, the big yellow fuses are 20A...

I have had pumps that were ok but let down by very cheap and flimsy plugs. The worst are the ones with inline fuses. I had to replace one plug with a better quality one, and that particular pump was fine. What sometimes happens is that the internals of the plug can overheat, often the spring, and the plastic can deform and parts inside can short out, or just a slightly loose connection can occur, which can cause repeated start up current peaks that can blow a fuse. It is worth disassembling the plug and checking the integrity of it....

I did have a fuse (also 20A by chance) that was borderline in terms of rating for the load it had to carry (actually a caravan slide-out motor). It would blow occasionally, but checking the rating of the wiring, I was reluctant to use a 30A fuse. I bought a direct replacement, re-settable fuse, also rated at 20A, but weirdly that one never ever flipped off! Must've been slightly more of a slow-blow fuse, but it solved my problem.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks Steve. I went to Sainsburys today to pump my tyres up. On the way there the tyre warning light came on. All the tyres were low according to the pump. One was only 26 psi. I put extra air in all of them to be on the safe side. 36 f and 34 r. I will check them again next week to see if there is any air loss.
The strange thing is i think the ride is better now. I guess its all down to individuals tastes. Just the same as we all like different food,we must all like different levels of comfort in the car.
I will have to wait until Saturday to get the fuse fixed at the dealers. Does a Tom Tom use less amps than an air pump? If so i will just use the Tom Tom once i have the fuse fixed.
I see Aldi has a pump on sale. Its cordless and looks like a drill. You just charge it and it works on its own. I am not sure if it can be charged at home in the wall socket. If it has to be charged in the 12 volt socket its no use. It costs £30-00.

·
Registered
207 Posts
A pump uses much more current than a GPS unit. In any case don't have anything turned on that goes through the same fuse (if anything). I make no comment on tyre pressures, but I am happy with the recommended 'comfort settings' on my car (on 16/185/60 tyres)

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks thats good to know. Once i have got the fuse replaced and i make sure they fit the correct Yellow 20 amp fuse, i will just use the 12 volt socket for my Tom Tom. I will buy a cordless pump for the tyres.
I have looked at the Aldi one and it does come with a 3 pin plug for charging at home. It has some very good reviews from customers. Its available in store from Sunday for £30-00. Its worth giving it a try for that price.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Yep, my money is on the pump having developed a problem....
Even a sticky piston in the compressor can cause excess current draw (they wear, and are cheap and nasty inside - I've taken one completely apart out of curiosity and trying to find out why it stopped working and also melted the 12V plug! )

·
Registered
747 Posts
Thanks thats good to know. Once i have got the fuse replaced and i make sure they fit the correct Yellow 20 amp fuse, i will just use the 12 volt socket for my Tom Tom. I will buy a cordless pump for the tyres.
I have looked at the Aldi one and it does come with a 3 pin plug for charging at home. It has some very good reviews from customers. Its available in store from Sunday for £30-00. Its worth giving it a try for that price.
I have had a Garmin Satnav plugged into my faglighter socket for over a year, since the car was new, with no issues whatsoever.
I'd also say that your pump is faulty.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks again guys. As i said my old cheap pump worked great in my Smarts 12 volt socket,so it looks like the VW pump is the culprit. I am sure it had never been used though so must have been faulty from new.
I only need sat nav once or twice a year so i will just use the socket for that.
What do you think of the cordless pumps like the one Aldi has for sale? It has its own rechargeable battery so does not need to be plugged into the socket.
On another topic i tried the cars lights recently. I rarely drive when its dark,but just thought i would try them. The red mood light was great under the dash going all the way from door to door. However when i turned the side lights on with the ignition on the DRLs stayed on and i could not see any side lights.Is this normal? When i turned the head lights on the DRLs went out which is correct,but are there no side lights on the UP GTI?

·
Registered
509 Posts
On your a second point that’s perfectly normal .
You’ll also notice when your side lights are on the instrument cluster doesn’t illuminate which is a good feature as it will hopefully stop you joining the driving in the dark on side light club which seems a popular past time in my area.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks Sean66. So the DRLs are instead of side lights. I am just thinking at MOT time when the tester checks,they shout "side lights head lights" so i hope they know the GTI does not have side lights,only DRLs.
Yes i did notice the instrument cluster only lit up on head lights. Also during the day it has a mind of its own. It lights up when daylight has reduced say under trees,but other times it does not when its just as dark. Then when its not too dark it lights up. Very strange.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Just another point. I think i am correct in saying that instead of connecting my Tom Tom to the 12 volt socket, i could connect it to the USB socket on top of the dash instead of connecting a phone. Will it work ok like that?
I have had a message from the dealer saying they are booked up for Saturday so can i book another day. There is no point in me doing that as they are still not sure if they can activate the drive away door locks and my tyres look ok, so i am just going to go to the dealer for them to fix the fuse. If they say they cant do that as they are so busy, i will just ask them to give me a couple of fuses ( fuse 46 Yellow 20 amp ) and i will fix it myself at home as long as i can get to the fuse box with my bad back. Why did they put the fuse box in such an awkward spot.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Just an update. I have been to the VW Main dealer today and by luck the Mastertech was there. I mentioned the drive away locking to him and he said he would check to see if it can be done.
The 12 volt socket fuse has been fixed and he has activated the drive away locking. It locks when you have reached 10 MPH and unlocks when you remove the key.
They are an excellent dealer and all done for free, my favourite price. That is everything done now. I will keep an eye on the tyres but the car drives like a dream and looks amazing. I love it again. I am certainly keeping it.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts