Up Owners Club banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
2019 up Gti 3 door white
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I’m after a little advice here! Next week I have a hotel booked in Glasgow, I’m travelling from Cheshire, approximately 3 and a half hours away. I have the choice of my wife’s 69 plate Golf R estate, or my beloved 68 plate up GTi for the journey. Has anyone done a decent motorway trip in their beloved little GTi? What’s it like with road noise and MPG?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Hi, we have a Tsi and a GTi, and have done long journeys in both. (Yorkshire to Dorset, Hampshire etc.)
They're both great. The Tsi is just a bit more relaxed because it doesn't have a sound aktor, and more compliant suspension, so we tend to use that for the longer journeys, and the GTi for more local stuff.
The Gti is only more noisy on the MWay when trailing up a long hill in cruise control mode, as the engine increases power to compensate, the soundaktor obviously becomes louder. I've also done three or four trips to South London in it.

Reactions: WIdnes GTi

·
Registered
54 Posts
A couple of times a year I do Highlands - Worcestershire.
Not too noisy for me :) Wind noise is loudest.
Making motorway progress ;) (when out of managed or variable limits where speed cameras breed) and traffic and conditions permit ~45MPG, 50MPG overall.
There are of course quieter cars at speed but are they as fun?

·
Registered
703 Posts
Good luck getting a free run up and down the M6 and M74. Both roads are a total nightmare. Been stuck three times on the M74 near Lesmahagow in the past few weeks, on the last occasion I missed a football match in Motherwell, spent almost four hours going nowhere.
There are a number of roadworks on the M74 between Lesmahagow and Motherwell. Total lane closures, so plan ahead and check the M74 road camers around Motherwell, Hamilton and Raith. You will need to allow at least an extra 45 minutes at Motherwell, depending on time of day you are arriving there. If you know the area well it might be worth trying to avoid this part of the M74.
Anyway, enjoy your trip to Bonnie 'Road ****' Scotland!!!

·
Registered
703 Posts

This is Raith south camera just now, pointing towards the end of the northbound contraflow. That traffic tails back beyond Larkhall exit. The two clearer lanes on the left are cars exiting southbound to Motherwell and Hamilton, the two outer lanes are entering another contraflow system south bound, and it can tail back for miles also.
Just giving you a wee heads up to help you prepare for your trip.. Just try to avoid the busier times.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Golf every time for me, on this journey. The Up GTI on factory wheels and without any additional sound damping IS a loud car by modern standards.

On the other hand, if you stick a couple of duvets over the boot, back seat and rear wheel arch area it will make a big difference.

I imagine mpg in the Up will be about 50 if you're sensible, vs about 35 in the Golf R ?

·
Registered
360 Posts
The longest motorway trip i have done in my UP GTI is Manchester to Blackpool return, 50 miles each way and 1 hour journey time each way. I drove at a steady 55 MPH with the cruise control switched on, on a very quiet motorway early on a Saturday morning.

I found the car very comfortable and relaxed. The engine noise was perfectly ok, but of course it would have been louder at a higher speed. The average fuel readout on the computer was an amazing 75 MPG.

For any journey longer than that i would not want to drive any car. I would get the Train every time. As an example i always get the train to London from Manchester. Two hours and you are there. Food and drink served to you at your seat. No traffic jams and no parking problems.

If you book well in advance for the train the cost with my Senior Railcard (1/3rd off) is reasonable compared to the car if you take into account the cost of fuel and car parking. However i am talking about the cost for one person, myself. I understand it is different when a couple or a family are travelling together.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I've driven from Poole to Edinburgh a few times in my Up GTi. Found it no problem and if the traffic is favourable I have managed 55mpg with an average speed of 60mph. I try and keep it below 3000rpm to preserve the mpg.

·
Registered
707 Posts
No problems driving on the motorway in our Up GTi it's very refined. We have the beats audio and I do wonder if the sub cancels out some of the noise others say about? I tend to be between 70 and 80 most of the time and with the sound generator turned down to 80% it's excellent in fact I often think if I turned it off all together it would be silent... Are people driving with no stereo on and no air con listening for noise on purpose and I'm not jesting because I find it total luxury compared to my Clio 182

·
Registered
2019 up Gti 3 door white
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks all for the comments, especially the one about roadworks. It’s a 3.5hr drive from home to Glasgow so I’m still unsure. I will definitely keep you posted and let you all know. Once again for everyone’s input it’s really appreciated.

·
Registered
212 Posts
I drove from Carlisle to Inverness No Problem when I collected my one

Reactions: WIdnes GTi

·
Registered
707 Posts
I've just done 110 mile round trip today was low on fuel on the way up so was driving like a grandad 65mph god it was painful.... Filled up before coming back and was doing 80mph nearly all the way back and strangely enough the mpg was practically the same in both directions low 50's I won't be doing 65mph anywhere again in a hurry 😴 feels like being in a golf on the motorway rather than a city car to me I had my tunes on as always 😁

·
Registered
670 Posts
Talking of doing 80mph on the Motorway I can confirm for anyone interested an indicated 82mph is a true 79mph on std wheels and tyres.

·
Registered
707 Posts
Yes I think 80 on 205/40/17's was showing as 77mph on the satnav and that's about the average rate sensible people seem to travel at these days.. it's by no means quick in a modern car but you do seem to chalk off the miles at a reasonable rate 👍

·
Registered
Up gti
105 Posts
Just did 350 miles today, cork to Coleraine. Thing sat at 80 no bother and over the course of whole trip (900 miles) I averaged 51 mpg. Found same as others, sat at 80 gave me same mpg at 60, if you get it up to speed then come off accelerator a bit your good mpg wise.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts