Up Owners Club banner
21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
2019 up Gti 3 door white
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
I love my up, but that traipse upto Glasgow was ****! Roads were great, never hit any traffic whatsoever. But the little up isn’t a quiet car at 70-80 mph. My ears are still ringing now!

·
Registered
703 Posts
I love my up, but that traipse upto Glasgow was ****! Roads were great, never hit any traffic whatsoever. But the little up isn’t a quiet car at 70-80 mph. My ears are still ringing now!
Good news on the road front, but sounds a bit **** about your expeience in the UP! Not sure how you managed to avoid the hold ups on M74 though, adds at least 25 to 30 minutes to people I know who travel in and out of glasgow daily.

·
Registered
2019 up Gti 3 door white
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
There were roadworks near Motherwell, but to be honest we flew through them. Like I said previously, I love the Up, but it’s not a car for a long journey.

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
Have you disabled or reduced the volume of the soundaktor thing?
And are you on original wheels/tyres or smaller/quieter ones?

Interestingly, I found the new Fabia I drove last week to be a bit "droney" between 70-80 - it has, I believe, the 95ps engine - while my 75ps car was quieter on the exact same stretches of the A30 at the same speed. I'm thinking mine has more compliant tyres and a smaller bore exhaust than the Fabia, so on the GTI, what was it that made your ears ring?

·
Registered
2019 up Gti 3 door white
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
The car is totally standard, it’s only done 8,000 miles, so still has the original Goodyear efficiency tyres fitted. The road noise was awful, that said, I only bought it to do my 15 mile round trip back and too to work.

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
Not your only car, fortunately. The road noise would likely improve with different tyres, and possibly 16" wheels if it really bugged you, but probably not worth it if you have it mostly for a 15m daily trip!

·
Registered
707 Posts
Strange I find ours very refined at 80mph we are on different tyres sound actuator set to 80% like any car certain roads which have constantly been in the headlines regarding rough surface and horrendous tyre noise the up is no different to any car on those roads.... But that's the road not the car happily driven 5 hours plus in the up in one day when going to Snowdonia

·
Registered
670 Posts
I guess it all depends on what your use to .
If your spoilt with Rolls Royce ride quality from a Golf the UP won’t deliver.

I do a 140 mile round trip every Sunday ,
157mile runs to the Lake District every so often and 257 mile runs down south twice a year and have absolutely no issues what so ever with long distance comfort.

·
Registered
Up gti
105 Posts
Strange I find ours very refined at 80mph we are on different tyres sound actuator set to 80% like any car certain roads which have constantly been in the headlines regarding rough surface and horrendous tyre noise the up is no different to any car on those roads.... But that's the road not the car happily driven 5 hours plus in the up in one day when going to Snowdonia
Absolutely no issues sound wise either, found it very quiet and relaxed.

·
Registered
707 Posts
I do find it a little confusing that some people find it so bad on motorways... I wouldn't be disappointed with this refinement level in a golf

·
Registered
19 Posts
Agree with a lot of these statements. I have had a mixture of ‘luxury’ performance cars and am now using this as a ‘cheap’ daily.

Can’t fault the refinement of the Up for the money (especially when compared to the above) and don’t really feel it lacking when taking it on longer runs. I’ve done circa 4K in my 6 months of ownership.

·
Registered
Up gti
105 Posts
I would prefer the up to my partners Mini five door, absolutely no difference to my BIG ears.

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
We may not be comparing apples-with-apples though.... Tyres make a difference, and especially so if you have concreted roads - some tyres seem very harsh on those surfaces.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I regularly drive from South Yorkshire to north Northumberland. 200 mile trip. I’ve done in a Tiguan with acc and my up gti with cc. The acc makes the drive slightly easier but but the up is still perfectly fine. It is a bit noisier, but nothing to complain about. Mpg pushes between 55 and 60 mpg, depending on traffic.

21 - 36 of 36 Posts