Up Owners Club banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
After a few days on the Croatian coast, a short visit of Modena and Maranello, headed back up to "Chairmany" to let the GTI stretch its legs and I decided to chase it up the Stelvio pass. Thought that some of you might enjoy it. Please don't expect high production levels - I just tapped record on the phone.

From 39 degrees Celcius in Modena to 13 at about 9055 feet within a few hundred miles.

It's Stage 1 ... to explain the crisp acceleration uphill.

Sky Tire Wheel Cloud Vehicle

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
In the midst of my flow and thrill of speed I didn't even notice that I crossed the border into another country. Only the style, design of road signs and the differing quality of road surfaces kinda alerted me to that fact.

But joking aside, I hope it works out well for you guys in the long run.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for sharing.
Hope you enjoyed the road trip, I understand why you wanted a low mileage car😀
:) ... sure. I was kinda' happy that it was close by and not in another country.

I first thought that the H&R coil-overs would be quite uncomfortable for a 1400 mile long trip and that it would be better to take the TSI. But they were just fine (except for a few spots in Italy). Had so much fun through the alps using lift-off-oversteer and late-apexing turns on switchbacks. The 6-speed and Stage 1 are a nice combo - very engaging and easy to get into a rhythm - the right gear seems to be always readily available while chucking it into turns. Amazed at the differences between the TSI and GTI at higher speeds. Sound insulation is so much better at high speeds..., doesn't matter if you're doing 80 or 130, the sound and wind noise don't seem to change much.

Apropos high speeds: just found out another highlight of the trip was me overtaking a S*inger P*rsche 911 DLS just south of Munich on Wednesday. I was doing :
Speedometer Odometer Trip computer Car Vehicle

when I saw it cruising at about a 110 mph (Sry for the bad quality of the pic - at these speeds I tend to keep safe distance - especially to an automobile that is worth 2 million pounds).

Cloud Sky Land vehicle Car Vehicle
Tire Wheel Car Vehicle registration plate Vehicle

I heard its engine note (sounded like a na V10) in one of the tunnels before you get onto the "bahn" and thought that it was a Lambo or F*rrari. After watching TG's First Drive I knew it was that naturally aspirated engine revving up to 9300 rpm. Never thought that I would see one on this side of the pond.

So ..., I guess it wasn't only the highest up! in the world but maybe the only one that overtook a S*nger 911? :unsure:

:)

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Just remembered..., as I passed them I noticed they're just kinda cruising at 110 with open windows enjoying the concert the engine was producing, ... so much air and fuel going through it ...

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I think stage 1 (or plus) with coilovers is the way to go. Mine feels underpowered now I've fitted coilovers.....roll on next year.
Me too - turns the car into how it should have been in the first place IMHO. In regards to it feeling underpowered w/ coillovers ... , yes, I have noticed that effect too. :)

I like the comments about lift off oversteer.
So much fun. Especially very handy in turns with decreasing radii.

However the speed it now carries in the bends is insane, I believe it to be more than my old modified golf r, - It's so light and there's so much grip. I'm not surprised people can see off M2's etc on a twisty road.
I know ...., isn't that crazy? The now possible cornering speeds are out of this world. A friend of mine thought that anti-gravity generators were installed neutralizing the centrifugal force acting on the vehicle. There's a saying among race car drivers that a happy tire is a slightly chirping tire (indicating max efficient speed through turns, best amount of acceleration or braking).
Well, that's great. Only ... I can't get them to chirp. ;)

On the right roads it's serious fun, but maybe some of the cheeky round town smiles have been diluted - however I need to wait until the finished article (stage 1 (+) tires etc) before I draw conclusions....can't wait.
I am sure it is worth the wait. You definitely have something to look forward to. Let us know how it goes.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
That's peak-roadtrip, what, a month into ownership?! Good times, all about what you do in a car, the memories:)
So true. TBH, not sure how I would top that at his point. Any ideas?
Glad that some of you appreciate the same things as I do.
Cheers

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I'm in the eastern part of Austria. Thx for the Harry's Garage suggestion. I'll check it out.
Well, LeMans already happened this year. Spa? Maybe even Silverstone on the 11th. On the way to England I could drop by the N/ring for a hot lap.
... kinda' sounds good. With a little luck i might even get to see the Sub-7-up! I could also check out the big manufacturers in England while I'm there...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts