Up Owners Club banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Casually looking for either of these and although leaning towards the GTi the Skoda has attractive cost oriented merits.

Primary Target.
UP! GTi anything considered but sub 30k miles with Cruise/Park preferred 3 or 5 door and anything color wise except black. Not fussed about the other options like Climate, Light & Sight or Beats. Unmodified/completely standard for the convenience of straightforward off the peg £200 car insurance but 205/40 17’s welcomed.

Secondary Target.
Alternatively, a late 16 - early 17 Citigo SE L or Monte Carlo, must have colour screen DAB radio not earlier FM/AM and must be either 75PS £0 or 60PS £20 road tax. Must be low’ish miles 40’s max. Again almost any sensible colour but black. Preferred with ultra rare ‘convenience’ pack which added cruise & park but not essential if price/condition balance is right.

No cars with sunroofs.
No damaged/repaired cars.

I’m in no hurry to buy at all, have no car at present and no direct need for one apart from entertainment or the onset of Winter.

So… if We Buy Any Car or dealers are jerking you around with crap px offers drop me a line.

Will update this post if I find something in the mean time myself.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Can't stay away! :)
Obviously, go for post-facelift.... (the car, not you).
I think the DAB radio denotes a facelift car but there are later cars which are visually facelifted (spotlights are different from memory) I believe a key addition for longevity is the rear arch liners.
One of the attractions of the Citigo is the ability to minimise costs via small or no RFL. SE L is £0 and more powerful, Monte Carlo is more sporty looking but more tax and less hp (very similar torque figure). Obviously tax on GTi and anything after March 17 is £155 and rises every year.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Yes Road Tax £155 for the GTI this year. Even worse when i have had Free road tax for the past Ten years with my Smart. Look at it as i do by the weekly cost which is only £3-00, so not so bad.

Have you noticed on AT they now list far more UP GTIs under the TSI heading instead of the UP GTI heading. There are loads for sale so i am sure you will find one that you like.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Have you noticed on AT they now list far more UP GTIs under the TSI heading instead of the UP GTI heading. There are loads for sale so i am sure you will find one that you like.
Thanks for that, I thought the number of GTi’s for sale had rather dwindled of late, will take a look.

Seems that makes three different places to find GTi’s on there.

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
FWIW, I have a Citigo SE-L 75ps 3-door, and it's a nice little car with a good chunk of money-saving...

It looks more 'adult' than the slightly 'fun' look of the basic Up!s, and of course it avoids the weird-looking rising rear windows.

Mine was in the showroom with pearlescent black - which wouldn't be my first choice! - but it came with plenty of nice bits already fitted, like 16" wheels and (factory) lowered suspension, privacy glass, DAB... but the main thing was the price was right for me on the day, and in the end you should just get the right car for you at the right price....

·
Registered
367 Posts
Casually looking for either of these and although leaning towards the GTi the Skoda has attractive cost oriented merits.

Primary Target.
UP! GTi anything considered but sub 30k miles with Cruise/Park preferred 3 or 5 door and anything color wise except black. Not fussed about the other options like Climate, Light & Sight or Beats. Unmodified/completely standard for the convenience of straightforward off the peg £200 car insurance but 205/40 17’s welcomed.

Secondary Target.
Alternatively, a late 16 - early 17 Citigo SE L or Monte Carlo, must have colour screen DAB radio not earlier FM/AM and must be either 75PS £0 or 60PS £20 road tax. Must be low’ish miles 40’s max. Again almost any sensible colour but black. Preferred with ultra rare ‘convenience’ pack which added cruise & park but not essential if price/condition balance is right.

No cars with sunroofs.
No damaged/repaired cars.

I’m in no hurry to buy at all, have no car at present and no direct need for one apart from entertainment or the onset of Winter.

So… if We Buy Any Car or dealers are jerking you around with crap px offers drop me a line.

Will update this post if I find something in the mean time myself.
My car is for sale. Has been for a wee while now. It’s in the ads section on here.

I have it up for 12250. (I think I can’t remember) WBAC offered 11500 two weeks ago. I’m not bothered if I sell it or not which is why I never took WBAC up on their offer.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
FWIW, I have a Citigo SE-L 75ps 3-door, and it's a nice little car with a good chunk of money-saving...

It looks more 'adult' than the slightly 'fun' look of the basic Up!s, and of course it avoids the weird-looking rising rear windows.

Mine was in the showroom with pearlescent black - which wouldn't be my first choice! - but it came with plenty of nice bits already fitted, like 16" wheels and (factory) lowered suspension, privacy glass, DAB... but the main thing was the price was right for me on the day, and in the end you should just get the right car for you at the right price....
I know of an SE L for sale at £3800 but it’s a 15 plate pre-facelift model :-( Cheap, cheap though.

Also a 17 plate Monte Carlo at a used car sales place, has the DAB radio, is described as immaculate but even in the photos has a dented sill and light dent in the front wing, needless to say I haven’t been to look.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
My car is for sale. Has been for a wee while now. It’s in the ads section on here.

I have it up for 12250. (I think I can’t remember) WBAC offered 11500 two weeks ago. I’m not bothered if I sell it or not which is why I never took WBAC up on their offer.
Do you have a link to the ad on here as I can’t find it. Bit short of time at the mo but will be back later.

edited to add : found it here August 2019 GTI in Red.
No Cruise & Park pack :-(

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have a 2017 Up TSI for sale which is sorta halfway between the 2 cars you are looking for.

It has the convenience pack (Cruise Control and sensors) and it has the colour screen as it is a facelift. It has the TSI 90hp engine that is similar to the GTI engine. It can be yours for £8000 if you are interested. The advert is listed in the "For Sale" section as well as on Autotrader.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have a 2017 Up TSI for sale which is sorta halfway between the 2 cars you are looking for.

It has the convenience pack (Cruise Control and sensors) and it has the colour screen as it is a facelift. It has the TSI 90hp engine that is similar to the GTI engine. It can be yours for £8000 if you are interested. The advert is listed in the "For Sale" section as well as on Autotrader.
Thanks for the offer, unfortunately having had a GTi I’m rather sold on the whole package, so if I’m going to have a turbo engined UP! it’s going to be that model and with a kind of all or nothing alternative approach if it’s not a GTi it’s going to be the cheap as chips angle with the Citigo which offers a cheap purchase price with very minimal ongoing costs (maybe as low as £200 per year ins+mot) allowing me to in time get another Caterham (the GTi allows for this also but the larger initial outlay puts it off for quite a bit longer, is perhaps beyond £400pa to own but more importantly breaks my own rule of not owning 2 sporty cars :) ).

Also if I ended up buying a non-GTi turbo UP! the temptation would be to start modding it into something quicker which I’m trying to avoid as the GTi does all that straight out of the box, equally the Citigo SE L and Monte remove temptation from the frame as performance modding them is largely fruitless and without point, it’s a great car as it is.

Have I over analysed things? Lol!… probably.

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
Of course you've over-analysed...

Get a newish GTi. You don't need the risk of an older cooking model that you don't know the provenance of, as a daily-driver. Start looking for Caterhams that may need a bit of work doing to save money.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Of course you've over-analysed...

Get a newish GTi. You don't need the risk of an older cooking model that you don't know the provenance of, as a daily-driver. Start looking for Caterhams that may need a bit of work doing to save money.
Yes, was already coming at it from that angle.

I think there’s a bit of a post lockdowns price bubble thing going on in the used car market at present, everything is ‘up’ and staying up apart from a few exceptions. Don’t want to buy high and buy a load of depreciation… foolish.

Caterhams requiring work are rare, many unserviceable ones are just sat in the back of a garage waiting for the day that never comes when the owner will finally get around to putting them back on the road. They are as easy and cheap to maintain as an old square rigged Landy but offer a rather more exciting drive.

·
Registered
312 Posts
I've always ended up searching for Ups with the 0-60 filter set to 8-12s. That brings up TSI's and GTI's but obviously the GTIs tend to be higher priced.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I've always ended up searching for Ups with the 0-60 filter set to 8-12s. That brings up TSI's and GTI's but obviously the GTIs tend to be higher priced.
They’ve added a horsepower filter recently as well which brings up some interesting anomalies too 👍

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
I suspect second-hand prices of small, economy cars will stay high for a while, as many are going out of production, and production has slowed in factories.

I'm not sure if new cars produced abroad face additional duty now or not, but if you go new, you may consider a little Hyundai/Kia which is still being made and has great warranty (or a used one, in warranty) - you can always still get driving fun if your other car is a Caterham!

·
Registered
312 Posts
With GTI's, considering the s/h prices at the moment, it is pretty tempting just to buy new. A brand new 3 door GTI with cruise and park, delivered to your door and taxed, is £15.1k from drivethedeal. That's only about £3-3.5k more than dealers are asking for 3 year old cars.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
With GTI's, considering the s/h prices at the moment, it is pretty tempting just to buy new. A brand new 3 door GTI with cruise and park, delivered to your door and taxed, is £15.1k from drivethedeal. That's only about £3-3.5k more than dealers are asking for 3 year old cars.
Very true. A little like the Caterham market under supply is keeping prices very firm indeed.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Do you have a link to the ad on here as I can’t find it. Bit short of time at the mo but will be back later.

edited to add : found it here August 2019 GTI in Red.
No Cruise & Park pack :-(
Aye I missed that requirements in you post above. Makes no odds to me having either of those options. Honestly I really don’t give a monkeys if I sell the car anyway.
Good luck with your search 👍👍👍

·
Registered
309 Posts
I suspect second-hand prices of small, economy cars will stay high for a while, as many are going out of production, and production has slowed in factories.

I'm not sure if new cars produced abroad face additional duty now or not, but if you go new, you may consider a little Hyundai/Kia which is still being made and has great warranty (or a used one, in warranty) - you can always still get driving fun if your other car is a Caterham

The Small Hyundai and Kia have 5 year and 7 year warranties and have recently changed the automatic offering to automated manual.

However the best car for a long warranty is now Toyota. New Aygo automatics are advertised between £12000 and £14000 and all Toyotas now have a 10 year warranty as long as you have the car serviced each year at a Toyota dealer. Its a good selling point.

I am still interested in the Mini Cooper automatic. There are currently 4 Cooper Exclusive autos in red at the main dealer all under a year old and all done 2000 miles. They have every extra including a sun roof and would have cost new around £26000. They are on sale for £20500. Not bad but they should be more like £19000.

I was very tempted thinking i could get every penny back that i paid for my car the way prices are at the moment and then pay the extra for the Mini, however i then drove my UP GTI to my local VW dealer to book a service for August and to get them to look at the useless heated seats and i fell in love with my car again. It drives so good and gets so many looks i would be crazy to change it. Therefore i am keeping it at least until 2023 or 2024.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts