Up Owners Club banner
21 - 40 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
309 Posts
Sorry about the double post Steve. I do not know how my post in reply to yours was added to your post instead of being underneath it. I must have clicked something in error.
Just see my post below.

·
Registered
309 Posts
The Small Hyundai and Kia have 5 year and 7 year warranties and have recently changed the automatic offering to automated manual.

However the best car for a long warranty is now Toyota. New Aygo automatics are advertised between £12000 and £14000 and all Toyotas now have a 10 year warranty as long as you have the car serviced each year at a Toyota dealer. Its a good selling point.

I am still interested in the Mini Cooper automatic. There are currently 4 Cooper Exclusive autos in red at the main dealer all under a year old and all done 2000 miles. They have every extra including a sun roof and would have cost new around £26000. They are on sale for £20500. Not bad but they should be more like £19000.

I was very tempted thinking i could get every penny back that i paid for my car the way prices are at the moment and then pay the extra for the Mini, however i then drove my UP GTI to my local VW dealer to book a service for August and to get them to look at the useless heated seats and i fell in love with my car again. It drives so good and gets so many looks i would be crazy to change it. Therefore i am keeping it at least until 2023 or 2024.

The problem is i hardly drive my UP GTI and when i do it is like a rare treat that makes me understand how good the car is. Thats why i enjoyed the 20 mile round trip to the dealer.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 · (Edited)
The Small Hyundai and Kia have 5 year and 7 year warranties and have recently changed the automatic offering to automated manual.

However the best car for a long warranty is now Toyota. New Aygo automatics are advertised between £12000 and £14000 and all Toyotas now have a 10 year warranty as long as you have the car serviced each year at a Toyota dealer. Its a good selling point.

I am still interested in the Mini Cooper automatic. There are currently 4 Cooper Exclusive autos in red at the main dealer all under a year old and all done 2000 miles. They have every extra including a sun roof and would have cost new around £26000. They are on sale for £20500. Not bad but they should be more like £19000.

I was very tempted thinking i could get every penny back that i paid for my car the way prices are at the moment and then pay the extra for the Mini, however i then drove my UP GTI to my local VW dealer to book a service for August and to get them to look at the useless heated seats and i fell in love with my car again. It drives so good and gets so many looks i would be crazy to change it. Therefore i am keeping it at least until 2023 or 2024.

The problem is i hardly drive my UP GTI and when i do it is like a rare treat that makes me understand how good the car is. Thats why i enjoyed the 20 mile round trip to the dealer.
I’ve driven a present model mini, kind of fancied one but after driving it didn’t want one any longer. Firstly it’s not a small car, it’s a small medium sized car like a Fiesta. Secondly although the ride was stiff but acceptable the seats were hard so made the ride uncomfortable. A better drive than an Abarth but flawed in other ways so wouldn’t buy one. Dealers are BMW dealers by another name so everything is geared up to getting you back to the dealership to spend more money.

Plus, since it’s been proven that they are up to stuff to forcibly make you attend the dealership I won’t ever buy from them. Someone worked out that they built a software start counter into their cars which basically counts how many times the ignition is turned on, there is a maximum to the counter and when that is reached the car won’t start any more until they reset it. Cheeky.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Aye I missed that requirements in you post above. Makes no odds to me having either of those options. Honestly I really don’t give a monkeys if I sell the car anyway.
Good luck with your search 👍👍👍
No probs, thanks for pointing it out.

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
minis are nice but not very "mini" in size - the 2018 5 door is about 8" shorter than my dad's Austin Maxi he had when I was a kid, and even the 3-door is roughly 8" longer than the Up!....

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
Sorry about the double post Steve. I do not know how my post in reply to yours was added to your post instead of being underneath it. I must have clicked something in error.
Just see my post below.
Nobody worries about that.
Except maybe the Ash. He has a very particular set of skills. Skills he has acquired over a very long career. Skills that make him a nightmare for people like us.... etc etc.

Anyway - Minis - I'd have thought the Ash might like the suburban hausfrau look, but perhaps not.... At least he'd be able to read the big speedo, and drive sensibly for a change.... :)

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 · (Edited)
Nobody worries about that.
Except maybe the Ash. He has a very particular set of skills. Skills he has acquired over a very long career. Skills that make him a nightmare for people like us.... etc etc.

Anyway - Minis - I'd have thought the Ash might like the suburban hausfrau look, but perhaps not.... At least he'd be able to read the big speedo, and drive sensibly for a change.... :)
Quite the opposite, many ‘features’ of the BMW Mini are design for designs sake, similarly the Fiat 500 has a lot of pointless design quirks.

The UP!/Mii/Citigo isn’t a pastiche at all, isn’t trying to emulate anything, it might have the VW corporate ID but it is just itself.

·
Registered
309 Posts
I do like Minis Ash but i do not like Mini sales staff at the dealers. I found them all up themselves acting as if they were selling Rolls Royce and Bentleys. The Female staff in their tight skirts and 6 inch heels who have not got a clue about the cars, but think if they smile and pretend they fancy you the sale will be instant. The Male staff think we were born yesterday saying they cant give a discount as they only make £200 on the car when infact they have a £1500 mark up as a minimum. However as you walk away they run after you saying if you buy the car today they can give £500 discount.

I thought the Mini drove very well and more comfortable with 15" wheels. The auto box was lovely and smooth. The downside is there is no Spare wheel and nowhere to store one so i would have to keep one in the foot well behind the front seats. Also the car has keyless start which can be cloned. Mind you i have a Faraday/Defender pouch for that.

I am tempted for the Mini i described above with all the extras, but then i could get a basic brand new Mini without the extras for £19000 from the Internet brokers, so which would be best?

As i have said i am going to keep my UP GTI at least until 2023/2024 unless i suddenly change my mind. Then again i would consider the Aygo at only £12000. A spare wheel standard, chain drive and the 10 year warranty.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Yes Steve the New Minis are big but i still think they look good and drive well. I like the DRLs round the headlights that change to indicators when used. Also the auto change lever straight out of a BMW. The cars i drove were quick and smooth.

There has to be a reason why you see so many MInis on the road. They are hardly a bargain. Tescos car park sometimes looks like a MIni showroom.

I still think i will get one for my next car, but i will purchase online so i do not have to deal with any sales staff face to face, but that is all for the future.

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
I dread sucky/smarmy car dealers too, and have thought about tying a plastic bag over their heads, to do the world a favour. Having said that, with the Skoda dealer I bought from, they were fine, more like dealing with a down-to-earth neighbour or work colleague.

I'm sure minis are good cars, just a bit bulbous and fussy for my taste!

I'm not sure Aygos have 'chain drive' though :)

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
I do like Minis Ash but i do not like Mini sales staff at the dealers. I found them all up themselves acting as if they were selling Rolls Royce and Bentleys. The Female staff in their tight skirts and 6 inch heels who have not got a clue about the cars, but think if they smile and pretend they fancy you the sale will be instant. The Male staff think we were born yesterday saying they cant give a discount as they only make £200 on the car when infact they have a £1500 mark up as a minimum. However as you walk away they run after you saying if you buy the car today they can give £500 discount.

I thought the Mini drove very well and more comfortable with 15" wheels. The auto box was lovely and smooth. The downside is there is no Spare wheel and nowhere to store one so i would have to keep one in the foot well behind the front seats. Also the car has keyless start which can be cloned. Mind you i have a Faraday/Defender pouch for that.

I am tempted for the Mini i described above with all the extras, but then i could get a basic brand new Mini without the extras for £19000 from the Internet brokers, so which would be best?

As i have said i am going to keep my UP GTI at least until 2023/2024 unless i suddenly change my mind. Then again i would consider the Aygo at only £12000. A spare wheel standard, chain drive and the 10 year warranty.
Often cars are a personal thing, as said previously I liked the look of the Mini but only with the JCW factory body kit on which is an option or standard on certain editions, really liked the look of it with that kit in certain colours… I’d driven other Mini’s of the same version but never the specific car in the specific colour, waited and waited, eventually one appeared in red, managed to get an overnight with the car, drove it perhaps 150 miles, lovely condition but ride compromised by leather seats being granite hard. Previous owner had obviously felt this also as he’d taken the run flats off in favour of normal decent Michelin Pilots… no spare but tyres 50% cheaper than rft’s… Christ knows what the ride is like with concrete tyres fitted as well.
I did like the way the car is finished not a single creak or rattle… just like the UP!, Fiats and Abarths seem like cars from the 70’s in comparison… most people at this point would say but you can’t compare the two… but when they charge the same or more for the thing why not? It’s like people just expect the Abarth to be crap and buy one then ignore the fact that really it’s just an evolution of a Fiat 127 Sport.

I enjoyed owning 2 BMW 318iS’s 15 or 20 years ago, they showed me how good cars could be… old school BMW’s really with little complication.
They probably led to me owning my 123d M Sport which had some of the qualities of the 318’s but was very much a modern car with lots of reasons to keep taking it to the dealer for service and while there they wanted to sell me extra stuff all the time, cashing in on the modern convenient disposable lifestyle everyone has. The run flats put me off owning any car fitted with them again, yes they are safe, ultra safe, you’ll never need to change a tyre or jack the car up on a rainy motorway in the rush hour ever again, however 10 years ago it meant my 123d was sitting on just over £1k of rubber which wore out (no matter how you drove it) every 20k, they made the ride awfully harsh, were utterly useless in the snow and if you made them last the fronts cracked radially due to the tread surface flexing and heat build up due to their construction.

Modern BMW’s (Mini’s included) are awfully complicated and seem to be plagued by electronic and electrical issues, some are minor niggles others are major headaches, stuff I seek to detach myself from nowadays, if they can’t make a reliable car I ain’t gonna buy it.
It’s not just that brand of course, every car has an Achilles heel nowadays, the manufacturers must hate the internet as everyone can share their cars problems, it certainly helped me when my 123d’s dual mass flywheel started to fail at 20,000 miles, the car was under warranty and as the clutch plate wasn’t too worn they changed the whole thing, they seemed to hate the fact I’d researched the issue on the web and found others had the same judder, had the flywheel replaced and there was a secret recall on the system.

·
Registered
367 Posts
We’ve had two minis. Both top spec. Both were nothing but trouble. OK this was several years back but they haven’t got any better.
Everyone has them. Which makes them common as muck. Least the Up GTI is relatively rare. Mini is mad mad money but they depreciate very quickly.

But it’s not my money being spent so good luck if that’s the car you choose 👍👍

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
I dread sucky/smarmy car dealers too, and have thought about tying a plastic bag over their heads, to do the world a favour. Having said that, with the Skoda dealer I bought from, they were fine, more like dealing with a down-to-earth neighbour or work colleague.

I'm sure minis are good cars, just a bit bulbous and fussy for my taste!

I'm not sure Aygos have 'chain drive' though :)
When I’d decided it was time to change the Golf in 2017 one of the first cars I looked at was an S4 Abarth 595 Turismo in met grey at Research Abarth in Nuneaton, scorching hot day, test drive was good, sales guy was good not pushy and had a passion for the brand, knew the car well, after the test drive while looking the car over I noticed one of the rear headrests was missing and pointed it out to him. We went inside and talked numbers but I felt they felt they had all the cards, car was rare and the right colour, I tried to strike a deal but every time we got somewhere near he’d have to go ask his boss and rather unprofessionally I could hear everything said by both of them, eventually we got close to an attractive deal and I pointed out the headrest and he goes to ask his boss, again I can hear his boss, derogatory comments about me etc etc etc and the upshot… he wanted me to pay for it.
A deal wasn’t struck and I vowed never to go back there again.
The sales guy 8/10, his boss 0/10 hope he’s out of work right now wondering where he went wrong, what a complete sale/customer losing c**k!
Had I not been such a polite person I’d have told him or more importantly his bosses boss at the time.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Yes Steve i have heard Skoda sales staff are quite good as was the Smart car Salesman who retired years ago. However good sales staff are in the minority.

The Aygo 1 litre engine is chain drive. It says this in the brochure and in road tests.

Ash and Charliefarlie. I believe older Minis had problems but the latest ones with the BMW engine are more reliable or so they say. As you say MInis are everywhere so surely people would complain if all Minis were no good and unreliable.

I do change my mind a lot as i also fancy the Mazda MX5. I would also ask myself if its worth spending £20000 on a Mini when i could get a New Aygo for £12000 that's £8000 less and the car would be just as quick in the crazy traffic.

However at the moment i am more than happy with my UP GTI. I was quite pleased when i booked it in for the service and the guy on reception said the Mastertech the top man would investigate the heated seats problem as he, the Mastertech always works on the High end GTI cars like mine. WOW High End. Thank You.

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
Ah, I just realized that you meant it was the cam that is chain-driven (as opposed to cam-belts) and not that the car used sprockets and chains instead of a gearbox, like maybe something from 1903!

Chains are not necessarily a great thing, as quite a few cars are known to have quite short cam-chain lives. Dunno if that applies to the Aygo's cam drive system though...

·
Registered
309 Posts
Yes the cam chain drive. My Smart was cam chain drive and was perfect for the 10 years i had it. Never needed changing unlike the cam belts that have a great debate on here, should i change or not bother etc.

I am not sure about the chain on the Aygo but Toyota does have a good reputation for reliability and always scores highly in the "Driver Power surveys"

By the way. Do any of you sometimes get a message to verify you are not a robot when trying to log on to this site and asking you to click 3 pictures of cycles as an example? I just had this and was unsure if i should click the pictures as i was not sure if it was genuine, but it looks like it was ok. at least i hope it was.

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
Fortunately, "they" know I am a robot, so they have given up asking me.... :)

You are probably connecting to the site on a phone or tablet - it's very unusual to see the verification request on a PC.
I think they have a means to detect how fast or busy your device is, and an algorithm probably works out whether the connection looks like it is to an automated web-crawler or not. Phones are often slow in terms of getting through all the browser checks from the target web server and may look like bots (as bots are usually processing hundreds of sites at the same time, slowing them down). Or it's something about browsers or security settings on phones being different to PCs and getting 'flagged'... Just a theory!

With the Lada, The Ash can enter a prize draw if he buys one - 1st prize is a ride through the backwoods with a bare-chested Putin, to catch fish, and spread polonium!

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 · (Edited)
Some manufacturers have forgotten how to do the cam chain thing, MG for instance… their 1.5 engine in the MG3 had many issues, the last version Mini Cooper S had issues until they fixed it mid-production, Vauxhall/Opel their 3 cyl engine as used in the Corsa and Astra had some problems fortunately it’s been binned.

It has been suggested that although MG offer a 7 year warranty you need a legal representative to actually achieve a successful claim. Vauxhall are similar but less robust in defending claims. Best approach is to steer clear of either.

21 - 40 of 56 Posts