Up Owners Club banner
41 - 56 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
309 Posts
I use a Laptop not a phone, but its probably not the most powerful laptop made, but its good enough for me and what i use it for. As long as i know it was genuine and you have all had the same thing its ok. I dont get it very often anyway only about once every 3 or 4 months.

So you fancy the Lada now? How about the Dacia Sandero if you want to go all posh. I should not joke as the latest Sandero has had excellent reviews.

I do prefer a Cam Chain. The latest Mazda MX5, Aygo, Mini Cooper, and BMW 3 series all have them.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
So you fancy the Lada now?
Not massively, but it’s a name and a face from the past. When I first started driving and had many Fiats a friend of mine also into Fiat was into Landys too. A few people put Fiat 2lt twin cams into the Niva, made for a real beast of an off roader, was an entertaining source of conversation at one time. ISTR finding an unrusty Niva was the key thing though.

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
Having been in the diesel pick-up world when I was travelling abroad for 5+ years (saving up for a house until <2 years ago!), I was surprised how common timing chain problems were. Anything from non-duplex chains that were weak and stretched, soft metal sprockets that stripped, lubrication problems etc. Chains are not a magic bullet! You'd think proper designs and quality material would obviate the problems - but not so, in the car industry. I'm OK with belts on an engine with proper design that factors in torque pulses (the tri-lobal thing everyone mentions, but is standard) and properly damped tensioners.... All of which affect chains or belts.

In the end, I'd prefer really good quality cam chains, but in the meantime, we're all on borrowed time until we go electric....

Luckily, we no longer have "chain drive" as such, except on motorbikes and bicycles! In which case, oil them often!

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
Having been in the diesel pick-up world when I was travelling abroad for 5+ years (saving up for a house until <2 years ago!), I was surprised how common timing chain problems were. Anything from non-duplex chains that were weak and stretched, soft metal sprockets that stripped, lubrication problems etc. Chains are not a magic bullet! You'd think proper designs and quality material would obviate the problems - but not so, in the car industry. I'm OK with belts on an engine with proper design that factors in torque pulses (the tri-lobal thing everyone mentions, but is standard) and properly damped tensioners.... All of which affect chains or belts.

In the end, I'd prefer really good quality cam chains, but in the meantime, we're all on borrowed time until we go electric....

Luckily, we no longer have "chain drive" as such, except on motorbikes and bicycles! In which case, oil them often!
Yes, everything made down to a price not up to a decent quality.

…well it lasted 100,000 miles on the testbed.

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
What is your ambition for chains, as a future Niva owner? And I don't mean in the Lubyanka, after you fail Vladimir's criminal money-gathering and murdering plan? [which does have a certain appeal, given useless and corrupt UK politics]

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
What is your ambition for chains, as a future Niva owner? And I don't mean in the Lubyanka, after you fail Vladimir's criminal money-gathering and murdering plan? [which does have a certain appeal, given useless and corrupt UK politics]
There’s a YouTube tenuous link to everything

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
Hah! Funny! Tied down with battleship chains. Not sure about this as being any kind of good punk though....

But - here's an idea - why don't we have a YouTube music favourites thread on this site?
I've been involved in (pre-covid) a blokey drinking thing we call a "John Peel afternoon" where everyone brings beer or wine, and a USB stick with tracks of music (one at a time) to play. No judgement, discussion, just drink and move on. Not a "bookclub" needing effing essays about what the writer meant. Just one track and maybe you get to hear something cool and new....

PS Only today I was driving, gently, window down, in the sun in Penzance on a wine-buying trip (25% off for 6 at Tesco, plus clubcard saving!), playing (not loudly), an old track by Tull called "Nothing to say", on a huge varied playlist on my SDcard and would you believe it, when I stopped for a roundabout, some "young people" gave me the thumbs up and smiled. How weird - it's prehistoric, but still known! Or maybe they were cheered by the idea that an old beardy guy in shades knew how to use the buttons on a piece of car equipment?

·
Registered
309 Posts
I was playing Reggae music on my car radio the other day very loud and got loads of smiles like from like the like yoof like initt. It was from a Manchester radio station as SD cards are too technical for me.

Its a good idea for a music thread, but we could also have flower arranging and knitting threads.

On YT i have been blown away by two Irish girl buskers who are excellent singers and always draw massive crowds. They are Allie Sherlock and Saibh Skelly. Have a look on YT and tell me what you think. Allies dad does the filming and sound recording.

·
Registered
309 Posts
I dont know how to post links sorry, but if you go on YT and type into the box Allie Sherlock or Allie Sherlock and Saibh Skelly loads of vids of them come up.

They are best singing slow songs. My faves are ( Allie on her own ) "I started a joke" and "Unchained Melody"

( Allie and Saibh together ) "Lay me Down" and "Always Remember Us This Way"

I like slow songs but its all down to a persons taste. They do draw massive crowds in the main shopping street of Dublin.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
I might actually go and physically look at a couple of GTi’s soon. The online numbers seem to be growing gently and the more sensible dealers have softened their prices slightly, the greedy ones still have theirs sky high and don’t deserve a visit. Rather than the rapid stock turnover of a month ago cars are hanging around longer. I’m guessing the initial post lockdown buying frenzy has eased or people are doing other stuff like travel or watching the football or something.

My alternate plan has been thwarted as the Caterhams I was interested in sold quite quickly as they were indeed priced to sell. Still as with any car there are always more cars just around the corner.

Either GTi orCaterham I might try looking at some cheap no spec bargain basement models, certainly not paying top dollar whatever happens.

·
Registered
Up gti
77 Posts
My missus has a mini, now I can drive the up and be somewhat worried that people think I’m the local hairdresser, the mini they know I’m the local hairdresser especially with the purple lighting on :0

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #54 ·
My missus has a mini, now I can drive the up and be somewhat worried that people think I’m the local hairdresser, the mini they know I’m the local hairdresser especially with the purple lighting on :0
I’m not sure people look at the Up! GTi and think it’s a hairdressers car, most of them are (once they get close enough) thinking “oh!, what’s that?, that’s different, I didn’t know they made a GTi version” and in all honesty Volkswagen made it different enough from a standard Up! to separate the models.

Smart cars used to have a similar kind of stigma attached to them and indeed I often see a sign written local business car of a hairdresser very close to where I live, it’s just a standard Passion or Pure. However if it were the Brabus I’d think differently of it, probably thinking wow! that’s rare. But in all truth they are small very functional and practical city cars, very innovative and a breath of fresh air design wise when they first came out.

·
Registered
309 Posts
I loved my Smarts. I had two. The first was one of the original models with the Mercedes petrol engine. I kept it for four years. The second had the Mercedes diesel engine. I kept that car for 10 years the longest i have ever kept a car.

The only problem was the idiot drivers who constantly drove 6 inches from my rear or who had to overtake no matter how dangerous. Also idiots pulling out from side roads causing me to brake. You had to drive the car as if you were riding a motorbike.

Yes automatic, 60 MPG round town, 80 MPG on a longer run, free road tax and a service and MOT each year at a Smart indie for £150. In a way i wish i would have kept the car but the UP GTI is certainly a better car in every way.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Either buy with your heart and buy the one that you like the most or buy with your head and look at running costs and resale prices…

41 - 56 of 56 Posts