Up Owners Club banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone on here transitioned (no not that) from a Kia Picanto Gt 1.0 turbo to the Up Gti. my reason for asking is that we collected my wife new Kia yesterday and what a cracking car it is. I ordered my Up Gti without test driving one as it was impossible to obtain a drive but the vast amount of research that I did rated the Up as superior. Can't wait to get my mitts on it.

·
Registered
216 Posts
They look ok just 20% down on power

·
Registered
397 Posts
The latest Kia Picanto and Hyundai i10 both look good, but they are not in the same league as the UP GTI.

However as has been said this is the UP GTI forum. I am sure if you go on the Picanto forum they will say their car is best in the same way as going on the Fiat, Mini, Toyota Ford forums etc they will all say their cars are the best.

I am sure you will enjoy both cars.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for all the replies so it's only fair that I tell you what has happened . When I weighed up all the pros and cons and did eventually buy a car it was the Kia Gt S Line GD-i that got the vote. The comfort, the equipment, the build, £2k cheaper and that fantastic 7-year warranty plus an excellent local dealer (whilst shopping around the local VW dealer was an absolute disgrace) made the choice pretty straightforward. Excellent car that the Up Gti is given my location and requirements the Kia just shaded it. Collect on Thursday.

·
Registered
722 Posts
Based on my dealer purchase and service from the next local one I would never have bought or buy another car from Volkswagen....

But based on the actual car which is still a ridiculous bargain in today's car world for the fun and all round package it is I wouldn't hesitate!

My car won't be going near a VW dealer again in fact I've got the bits and it's being done by my stepson but booked in officially for the labour so I have some supporting paperwork to attach to the oil and genuine VW parts receipt.

I genuinely don't care if someone says it's not worth as much because it doesn't have an official VW service history from year 3 onwards as I have no intention of selling and at least that way the car comes back in one piece and I' 100% know it's been serviced properly.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Even within the VW group it's notable how poor VW dealers are. My local Seat and Skoda dealers are so much more helpful and the first point of contact is always someone who (i) knows the product (ii) has some autonomy to talk discounts.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Based on my dealer purchase and service from the next local one I would never have bought or buy another car from Volkswagen....
I'm guessing that's Exeter, right ? If so, that's the first dealership where I've actually been annoyed enough about their sales practices to give the sales manager a proper piece of my mind. (I've been a tax/regulatory lawyer for 20 years and he was trying to tell me that the FCA essentially required them to push finance)

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
:) So, slow learners and liars!

My 4 last cars - 3 skodas, I nissan - all 4 dealers were good for services/repairs, 3 for sales process (1st skoda was not bought from a dealer). 5 cars ago - a Golf Gti - poor service and sales, but good car, so I kind of bought into having the same oily bits.....

Prior to that, before we moved the US, we had 3 x Golf Gtis, and 1 x Golf VR6 between us (and others) - poor service, but at least 3 of the cars were company cars, so less annoying for us!

·
Registered
397 Posts
Enjoy the KIA Macamx. Has the GT S Line got cruise control and heated seats?

I Purchased my UP GTI online so i did not have to listen to any rubbish from sales staff. I got a fantastic deal with a massive discount. The car is excellent.

Guys I have said before i can only speak from my own experience, but my Local VW main dealer has been excellent. The service i recently had could not have been carried out any better. Please do not get me wrong. I am not a fan of sales staff or main dealers. I still remember staff from the 60s and 70s who needed a personality injection and a lesson in how to talk to a customer. They would grunt at you as a greeting if you were lucky. I treated them the same way as i walked out after they had lost my business. So today i give credit where credit is due.

Again from personal experience i have found the worst attitude has been from Mini sales staff. I visited 4 different Mini dealers for Test Drives when i was deciding which car to buy ( Mini, Aygo or UP GTI ). Yes i had solo Test drives which i have always had over the years anyway by all dealers, long before Covid, but the way Mini dealers acted as if they were selling a Rolls Royce and they were doing you a favour by selling you the car. As for discount......we only make £200 on the car so cant give any discount. Oh really. In fact the trade works on a £1500 mark up as a minimum, so its bye bye from me Mr Mini and hello Mr VW which is what i did.

If i do purchase a Mini next time i will have to buy it online. Then again the Toyota Aygo makes more sense at thousands less and now with the 10 year warranty. Mind you i will be keeping my UP GTI for quite some time yet. I had a 20 mile drive today in the car just for fun in the nice weather. The car is amazing. I love it.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Our last 4 Up's (including my daughter's GTi), have been bought from a VW Main dealer 30 miles away. Fantastic sales service from a sales lady. No pushing, listened to what we wanted to do (cash deal, no HP or PCP), and didn't try to push us with add-ons. Couldn't have been better. (No-one has ever been more sceptical of main dealers than me). All bought for cash brand new Before committing, I emailed 6 of the most competitive dealers in the country, and this one always came out on top, by a sizeable marginn. They also threw in lots of extra bits at my suggestion, just to get the sale.
As a contrast, the sales people at our local VW main dealer are awful, BUT the service guys are first class, and will price match, so I've always been happy with the servicing on all four cars, at very competitive prices. Best of both worlds I guess.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Enjoy the KIA Macamx. Has the GT S Line got cruise control and heated seats?

I Purchased my UP GTI online so i did not have to listen to any rubbish from sales staff. I got a fantastic deal with a massive discount. The car is excellent.

Guys I have said before i can only speak from my own experience, but my Local VW main dealer has been excellent. The service i recently had could not have been carried out any better. Please do not get me wrong. I am not a fan of sales staff or main dealers. I still remember staff from the 60s and 70s who needed a personality injection and a lesson in how to talk to a customer. They would grunt at you as a greeting if you were lucky. I treated them the same way as i walked out after they had lost my business. So today i give credit where credit is due.

Again from personal experience i have found the worst attitude has been from Mini sales staff. I visited 4 different Mini dealers for Test Drives when i was deciding which car to buy ( Mini, Aygo or UP GTI ). Yes i had solo Test drives which i have always had over the years anyway by all dealers, long before Covid, but the way Mini dealers acted as if they were selling a Rolls Royce and they were doing you a favour by selling you the car. As for discount......we only make £200 on the car so cant give any discount. Oh really. In fact the trade works on a £1500 mark up as a minimum, so its bye bye from me Mr Mini and hello Mr VW which is what i did.

If i do purchase a Mini next time i will have to buy it online. Then again the Toyota Aygo makes more sense at thousands less and now with the 10 year warranty. Mind you i will be keeping my UP GTI for quite some time yet. I had a 20 mile drive today in the car just for fun in the nice weather. The car is amazing. I love it.
Yes, it has heated seats and steering wheel, cruise control and speed limiter, Apple car play and the list goes on.

I was sent a customer survey from VW and I was scathing in my response. I found the sales staff both salesman and sales manager disrespectful bordering on rude and their practices unethical and I will never be crossing VW premises threshold again. Let's put it this way if they behave like this when trying to sell you a multi thousand-pound product just imagine how helpful they would be if you had a problem. Had a couple of Skoda's and dealers were pretty good. Had a couple of Toyotas and the dealers were excellent. My wife wanted a Mini last year, oh dear, dealer exhibited BMW Esque behaviours as you have eluded to and the real insult was the favour that they were doing me was for an overpriced overstated product and don't get me started on follow-up costs. Luckily due to the currently skewed nature of the market, I got out of it painlessly. Now we come to Kia. The sales person was very pleasant and efficient with full autonomy, He put his best deal straight onto the table (I had really done my homework prior to going to the dealer) and all in all was a breath of fresh air to deal with the result being my wife collected her new Picanto GT Line on the 1st of this month and I collect my new Picanto GT "S" Line tomorrow and we could not be happier.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Yes, it has heated seats and steering wheel, cruise control and speed limiter, Apple car play and the list goes on.

I was sent a customer survey from VW and I was scathing in my response. I found the sales staff both salesman and sales manager disrespectful bordering on rude and their practices unethical and I will never be crossing VW premises threshold again. Let's put it this way if they behave like this when trying to sell you a multi thousand-pound product just imagine how helpful they would be if you had a problem. Had a couple of Skoda's and dealers were pretty good. Had a couple of Toyotas and the dealers were excellent. My wife wanted a Mini last year, oh dear, dealer exhibited BMW Esque behaviours as you have eluded to and the real insult was the favour that they were doing me was for an overpriced overstated product and don't get me started on follow-up costs. Luckily due to the currently skewed nature of the market, I got out of it painlessly. Now we come to Kia. The sales person was very pleasant and efficient with full autonomy, He put his best deal straight onto the table (I had really done my homework prior to going to the dealer) and all in all was a breath of fresh air to deal with the result being my wife collected her new Picanto GT Line on the 1st of this month and I collect my new Picanto GT "S" Line tomorrow and we could not be happier.

I will add the Picanto to my list of Test Drives when it is time to change. I would want it in automatic, in fact any car i buy next time will be automatic.

Yes good sales staff make all the difference. This is true in any industry, hotel, catering retail shops etc. It does male me laugh at the bad customer service you get from some car sales staff when you are ready to spend thousands with them, which only results in a lost sale for them. Arthur Daley has taught them well. I always get better customer service from my local Newsagent when i spend a pound with them.

You have just purchased two cars from this firm, so they should indeed treat you well as a good customer.
I hope you and your wife enjoy the cars and let us now how the ownership experience goes.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts