Up Owners Club banner
21 - 40 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
I will add the Picanto to my list of Test Drives when it is time to change. I would want it in automatic, in fact any car i buy next time will be automatic.

Yes good sales staff make all the difference. This is true in any industry, hotel, catering retail shops etc. It does male me laugh at the bad customer service you get from some car sales staff when you are ready to spend thousands with them, which only results in a lost sale for them. Arthur Daley has taught them well. I always get better customer service from my local Newsagent when i spend a pound with them.

You have just purchased two cars from this firm, so they should indeed treat you well as a good customer.
I hope you and your wife enjoy the cars and let us now how the ownership experience goes.
Will do and thanks.

·
Registered
169 Posts
We started the same process this weekend. We found the Kia dealer pleasant but seemed to struggle to understand our needs financially. We worked out afterward that they could have made the deal work for us had they increased the term. However upon just sitting in the UP it was like chalk & cheese. In our opinion the Kia seemed nothing like the quality of the UP. It was like sitting in something special. Something you knew was going to be fun. The Kia just never gave us that same feeling. Most importantly though it did not feel like we were settling for something less than our current high spec car.

Test drive booked for tomorrow.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Love my GTI which i had remapped withing weeks of getting it from new and just had its first MOT with 35k on the clock but think the Picanto turbo offers far more for your money especially remapped but what put me off was no 6th gear with all the motorway miles i do as the 6th gear on the Up makes cruising on motorways so much better and economical.

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
The GTI has what? 25 mph per 1000 rpm in top?
What does the Kia do in top?

Why do VW offer a pathetic warranty? I'd still buy VW, which is almost local, but I'm not sure how much longer they can get away with poor warranties....

·
Registered
169 Posts
Love my GTI which i had remapped withing weeks of getting it from new and just had its first MOT with 35k on the clock but think the Picanto turbo offers far more for your money especially remapped but what put me off was no 6th gear with all the motorway miles i do as the 6th gear on the Up makes cruising on motorways so much better and economical.
The 6th gear (as well as better feeling of quality) was what really swung it for us too. But I agree Kia are offering a lot of car for the money. But IMO you need to select the top of the range Picanto GT line S to be on an equal footing to the UP GTI. Oh yes forgot to say we ordered an UP GTI and thought the dealer was pretty good. The salesman underestimated us a wee bit as we had done our due diligence. But then suddenly realised we meant business and stepped up 😁

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
As requested.

Collected the car last Thursday and have just completed 500 miles, which in itself should give an indication of my view of the car. The car is red with a wrapped black vinyl roof and to me looks really nice. A bit of history may add perspective here. I am 68 years old, and had been a keen motorcyclist for 50 years until giving it up last year due to a combination of factors which when taken in the round made continuing just too dangerous in my judgement. I have also been a keen driver during this time as a bit of a serial car changer the last car being a Mini Cooper “S”. I must qualify this in as much as the Mini was bought at my wife’s behest as I have a dislike of all things BMW (Big Motoring Worries). Anyway, to cut to the chase I was mightily impressed with my wife’s new Kia Picanto GT Line so bought myself a new Picanto GT Line “S”. I am delighted with it. We live in a little village at the foot of the North Pennines and therefore the roads around are tight nadgery “B” roads and the Picanto is an absolute hoot. It’s nippy, not fast but it feels quicker than it really is whilst emitting a lovely but not intrusive soundtrack as you surf the not insignificant torque developed by the delightful 3 pot motor. I would also venture that the build quality is right up there and possibly even exceeding that of many others including some German offerings. I appreciate that this is very subjective but I have owned many such cars and I really believe this to be so. Possibly one of the more amazing things achieved by the car is that it does not feel like the tiny car that it is and just how planted it feels at speed. The car is very comfortable for me and has more than enough toys to keep me happy. We had a run to the coast yesterday, a round trip of 100 miles on various roads and the fuel consumption was 50.1 mpg which on a still new relatively tight motor is pretty impressive. I intended to remap the car (yes I would have informed the insurance company) but when also taking into account the compromising of the warranty and just how pleased I am with the car's performance out of the box I think we will park that plan for the moment. So we have two cracking cars on the drive for about the same price as the Mini. A service plan covering both cars for £22 per month (an oil and filter with pollen filter change on the Mini was £295, I kid you not) what's not to like. Well one thing, the armrest that's not an armrest, too bad, how sad, never mind.

·
Registered
393 Posts
I am pleased you like your new car. I would be interested to know how reliable the cars will be as time goes by. I am sure they will be reliable as all cars seem to be these days. As they say built by robots and driven by morons, present company excluded.

I dont understand why Minis get such bad reviews on here when they have sold so many. Yes i can understand they are costly to run and service, but they are the small car of BMW in the same way that the Smart was the small car of Mercedes.

I see hundreds and hundreds of Minis on the road every time i go out. I hardly ever see a Picanto or an UP GTI. Surely they would not sell as many if they were such rubbish. Perhaps when they first came out they were not so good but the latest ones are i believe excellent.

Two of my neighbours have the previous model Mini, the one before the latest model and have owned them for 8 years without the slightest problem. Its true they are retired and do a very low mileage, but if i bought a Mini i would also do a low mileage as i do with my UP GTI.

However nothing is decided and it is all for the future when i will have many Test Drives of different cars and could decide to keep my UP GTI for the next 20 years instead.

Enjoy your new car.

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
The majority of the driving public want a "consumer durable" and have little interest in the nuances of how it drives, so long as it as cheap and reliable as kitchen "white goods". A chunk of the rest only care about an image that they have been sold....

·
Registered
393 Posts
The GTI has what? 25 mph per 1000 rpm in top?
What does the Kia do in top?

Why do VW offer a pathetic warranty? I'd still buy VW, which is almost local, but I'm not sure how much longer they can get away with poor warranties....

Yes it is 25 MPH per 1000 RPM in top. Not sure what the Kia is in top. It could also be different in automatic from the manual.

I agree about warranties. Hyundai has 5 years, Kia 7 years, why they are different when they are the same car under the skin and the same company i don't know. Toyota is now the best with a 10 year warranty up to the cars Tenth birthday.

However on the whole cars are more reliable these days so a warranty claim for anything major is less likely. it is still nice to know you have this safety net if you need it, as long as it is not an Arthur Daley warranty where everything is covered except the part that goes wrong.

·
Registered
393 Posts
The majority of the driving public want a "consumer durable" and have little interest in the nuances of how it drives, so long as it as cheap and reliable as kitchen "white goods". A chunk of the rest only care about an image that they have been sold....

This is so true which is why the TV ads never tell you anything about the car just show you a fantasy image of how good your life will be if you purchase this car. Cloud cuckoo land and they fall for it.

There are still plenty of car nut petrol heads on here with UP GTIs who have bought them for more than the reason of getting from A to B. Anyway how come no one ever wants to get to C. It could be nicer.

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
So true.
I waited years for the posh, tall girl with the earring that squeaked to come for a ride in my reliable Golf.

She did in the end, and now we are a happy 34 years down the road... I am a man with oil.

Also, everyone goes to "B" from "A", so "C" will be a lot quieter.... But "A" might also be OK now, with everyone leaving, but "B" is right out...

·
Registered
331 Posts
Tough one this. I think the Picanto is more of a mainstream choice with less compromises and better equipment whilst the UP GTI is more of a keen driver's choice.

The Kia in 100 bhp GT line S trim has toys such as heated seats, Apple car play/AA and wireless phone charging. It also benefits from having only 16" inch wheels and a 7 year warranty.

That said, to maintain the warranty, you must service and replace all relevant consumables using OEM parts at a Kia main dealer or VAT registered garage which, will be costly. Peace of mind at a price. Downsides are the Picanto only has a 5 speed box and the looks might not be to everyones taste.

The Up GTi has less frills and looks to be more of a driver focused car but its ride appears to be somewhat compromised by the 17 inch wheels and lack of a decent infotainment system.

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
Does the GTi lack heated seats? (even my lesser Citigo has those, and an umbrella under the seat!).

Perhaps TEST_DRIVER has somehow ended up with GTI seats, and we were all wrong about his asbestos legs?

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
No, all Gti's (& High Up's) have heated seats..... I also believe that the 60bhp "R" line has them.

·
Registered
719 Posts
Infotainment is the last thing that interests me in a car because I like to drive them rather than sitting on the drive marvelling at all those pretty graphics...

I love the phone holder for using Google maps rather than a built in system that will be dated in a couple of years! yes the GTi has heated seats

·
Registered
393 Posts
Does the GTi lack heated seats? (even my lesser Citigo has those, and an umbrella under the seat!).

Perhaps TEST_DRIVER has somehow ended up with GTI seats, and we were all wrong about his asbestos legs?

Yes i have GTI seats in my UP GTI. Amazing but true.

As for heated seats ha ha. I think VW must have known in advance about the rising cost of gas and electric for heating and kept my seats on a very low setting so i can save money on my bills.

It is true in the winter ( when i need the heated seats ) i have on a thick jumper and Jacket, so i know i will not feel much heat through the backrest, however i only have on thin pants ( Non Asbestos ) and summer weight jeans, so i should be able to feel plenty of heat on my bum instead of the tiny amount of heat i can feel.

One day i will get a Mastertech to look at them and agree with me that the seats are faulty. Then i will be vindicated as being correct all along. I have driven Volvo and Mercedes cars and buses with heated seats and they really are heated seats. My UP GTI heated seats are not worth having on. Thankfully the cars heater is excellent. Lovely and warm.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Correct. I have to turn mine off after two or three minutes, as they get too hot. My wife's Tsi ones are the same.

Reactions: TEST DRIVER
21 - 40 of 48 Posts