Up Owners Club banner
41 - 49 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
398 Posts
Yes i agree they must be faulty and have been like that since i owned the car.

I think they are never on the high setting even though the switch says they are. I think they are on the low setting or off. In other words when the switch shows two lights they are infact on low and when i click the switch to low with one light showing, they are infact off.

You all say the seats are too hot after only two minutes. I do not feel any heat until ten minutes has past and then only the slightest amount of heat.

The cars heater is excellent, nice and warm and i will take the car to the main dealer again when i can be bothered. I drive less and less these days so its not of major importance but i will get them to try again before the warranty ends in September next year.

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
Easy last ditch thing to try before visiting the dealer (or making a bumper order of long-johns, or foil survival blankets from Amazon):

See if you can pull out and re-insert the underseat connector. If they are temp controlled, it could be a corroded connector that is fooling the control system.

If the passenger seat is the same however, (engine running), then it's unlikely to be 2 connectors with issues, and the problem is elsewhere.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Easy last ditch thing to try before visiting the dealer (or making a bumper order of long-johns, or foil survival blankets from Amazon):

See if you can pull out and re-insert the underseat connector. If they are temp controlled, it could be a corroded connector that is fooling the control system.

If the passenger seat is the same however, (engine running), then it's unlikely to be 2 connectors with issues, and the problem is elsewhere.

I will try that Steve if i can find the underseat connector. I have never looked under the seat.

As you know i am not techie in the slightest but would they be corroded after only two years? Also does the engine have to be on for the heated seats to work? I thought they worked with just the ignition on.

I have just seen on AT that the VW dealer who serviced my car and said the seats are working ok has a used 2018 UP GTI for sale at a crazy high price with 20 000 miles. I could pop down to them and ask if i can sit in it and try the heated seats. Only problem is they could say no to protect themselves as if those seats are much warmer it will prove they were wrong with there findings on my seats. Another dealer would be better but the cars are so rare.

I will have to price those items on e bay or i could just leave things alone and save up my pocket money instead and buy a Mini Cooper auto with heated seats.( Lets hope those seats work ) I could make a nice profit on my UP GTI when i see the kind of prices at the moment as at this dealer. £16 000 for a 2018 with 20 000. My 2019 with only 6000 miles must be worth £18 000 going on those figures. Sorry sir your car is not worth that as your heated seats are not working. The best price Arthur Daley can offer you is £9000 and thats only because i like you so much.

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
No, there should be no corrosion at all inside the car. As I imply without spelling it out, it's a long shot.

It is conceivable that if you have had wet clothes or objects sat in the the footwells that it may have had an effect, or just as likely, is that someone has pushed something under the seat and maybe disturbed a connector....

The seats work with just the ignition on, but may not get the full effect unless the engine is at least idling and turning the alternator. It's about having plenty of volts....

I'd try any other Up!/Citigo/Mii that you can fire the engine up on, to get a comparison - doesn't need to be a GTI, so long as the car has heated seats, as the seats are all the same, bar the look of the fabric . It may be that you truly have thighs from the antarctic :)

If you choose to sell, which would a shame, so long as your seat appears to work, it will not be an issue - nobody buys a car using an under-thigh thermometer!

·
Registered
398 Posts
Thanks a lot Steve for your detailed explanation I have not had anything wet etc under the seat but perhaps the VW Manager who owned the car from new did.

What a great idea to test any UP with heated seats. I did not think of that, i am such a silly Billy. I will do that when i find a local car to save me a trip to the VW dealer before i have the correct information.

I was only joking about selling my car. I have driven many cars with heated seats over the years but this is the first car i have owned with them. Even if my seats are working ok in so much as that is how they are i can manage. I have managed without heated seats on all my previous cars so i can manage with this one. The cars heater is excellent and the car is excellent in every other respect. It has none of the problems other owner talk about. No noise from the rear. Nice smooth ride. Quiet engine etc.

Yes it would be nice to have heated seats that work, so when i am in the mood i will go on a fact finding mission to test them in other cars. It is not the end of the world if thats how they are and the warranty on the car lasts until Sept 2022 so i hav e plenty of time to sort things out. I am certainly keeping the car for a few more years and then i could swap for an electric car like the Mini E. Then again with the price of electric these days, who knows. Anyway this is all for the future.

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
There are these, while you save up for an EV...

Winter is coming :) :)

·
Registered
VW Club Up!, VW Golf 7.5 R Line TDI 150 DSG
37 Posts
I will try that Steve if i can find the underseat connector. I have never looked under the seat.

As you know i am not techie in the slightest but would they be corroded after only two years? Also does the engine have to be on for the heated seats to work? I thought they worked with just the ignition on.

I have just seen on AT that the VW dealer who serviced my car and said the seats are working ok has a used 2018 UP GTI for sale at a crazy high price with 20 000 miles. I could pop down to them and ask if i can sit in it and try the heated seats. Only problem is they could say no to protect themselves as if those seats are much warmer it will prove they were wrong with there findings on my seats. Another dealer would be better but the cars are so rare.

I will have to price those items on e bay or i could just leave things alone and save up my pocket money instead and buy a Mini Cooper auto with heated seats.( Lets hope those seats work ) I could make a nice profit on my UP GTI when i see the kind of prices at the moment as at this dealer. £16 000 for a 2018 with 20 000. My 2019 with only 6000 miles must be worth £18 000 going on those figures. Sorry sir your car is not worth that as your heated seats are not working. The best price Arthur Daley can offer you is £9000 and thats only because i like you so much.
Get a mate to pop into the dealer and try the seats ;-)

·
Registered
398 Posts
That would be a good idea if i had any mates lol. My best friend has just sold his car as he used to drive even less than me.

Its best if try myself as everyone feels the cold differently. Now i know i can try any UP with heated seats it will be easier to find a car. I have located 4 local cars so far, so its just a matter of finding the energy to visit these dealers.

·
Registered
398 Posts
I have been for a 25 mile drive today up the motorway and back to give the car a run and keep the battery charged. I could have visited the dealer but i could not be bothered. I will leave that for another day.

As usual every time i drive my UP GTI i am amazed at how good the car is. I drove at 55 MPH with the cruise control on with the engine only turning over at just over 2000 RPM. Then on a clear stretch i put my foot down and almost instantly i was doing 70 MPH at 2750 RPM in 6th gear. Hardly any engine noise and a nice smooth ride.

I then eased back to 55 MPH ( i dont want to go too wild at my time of life lol ) and watched the hot Audis and BMWs fly past. Also a few of the latest Golf GTIs. Are those cars really worth so much more than mine other than they are all automatic? I think not.

I tried something different with the heated seats. I usually press the switch once to put them on high. Then after 12 to 14 mins i put them on low and feel hardly any heat which could just be the remaining heat from having them on high.

This time i put them on low at the start and after 20 mins i could not feel any heat at all which proved my theory that low is the same as off. I then put the cars heater on and after 4 mins the car was like a sauna with the fan on 3. I had to turn the fan down to 1.

So forget the heated seats. I will get them sorted when i can. The cars heater is excellent and the car is fantastic. Probably one of the best cars i have owned and i have owned some tasty cars over the years. As has been said on here many times for the price nothing comes close. The looks inside and out. The power, the economy, the quiet engine, the smooth ride the toys and being part of the GTI set. I sound like an advert for VW. Hope the cheque is in the post from VW for my fees.

41 - 49 of 49 Posts