Up Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I’ve been browsing the forum for a while, with the expectation that an Up GTI would be my next car. Well, spurred-on by it disappearing from the configurator, I’ve ordered one today from VW Sheffield. 5 door, silver, black roof, beats, light and sight and cruise and park. I was not only delighted I could still order one, but also that VW Sheffield could still offer the 0% finance, which I had assumed had ended. Delivery expected mid-December

I am p/x’ing a MkV R32 and intend to keep the Up a long time.

I had a test drive in a red 3 door and loved the feel of it. It has that special feel the R32 has.

One question - I forgot the front seat height adjustment in my order. Does the car have driver seat height adjustment as standard, with the option just adding it for the front passenger?

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Hi there congratulations on your new GTi
To answer your question yes it does have driver seat height adjustment as standard.
Some five doors seem to come through with the passengers seat height adjustment as well, even though it wasn't specified.
Our five door had the passenger seat height adjustment. We used the drivers side one but never touched the passenger side one.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Well done !

Just one point ... Is it a pre-built or pre-configured car from stock ?

Only asking because if not, I wouldn’t recommend parting with money for the Beats option. Other than some small ‘b’ logos on the front dash speakers, and the presence a large cumbersome ABS box in the spare wheel well housing a small speaker which they’re calling a subwoofer and does almost nothing (Speaker too small, crossover frequency too low, under-driven, ABS enclosure with no acoustic insulation), you‘d be very hard pushed to tell the difference between beats and no beats.

The rectangular box Under the Seat is allegedly an amp, but i
perhaps it’s a dummy !

The front door speakers provide about 80% of the sound and those alone are remarkably good.

Not to put a dampener on it, just my opinion of course, and obviously if the car’s already specified with them then as long as the price is right, no worries !

·
Registered
139 Posts
Congrats on the new car. It will be a nice Christmas present for you.
I have the standard radio and the sound is excellent. The car has 6 speakers.
I prefer to have a space saver spare wheel in the wheel well which you cant with the Beats.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi Jacara, Test Driver, it is a factory order (I was suprised they'd even take one, I thought the GTI was finished). Very interesting feedback on Beats, thanks. I went a bit mad on the options and will give this some more thought. I don't normally order / go for upgraded sound in cars, it is not a major priority for me. Both the Golf and our previous 6R polo have the stock systems and they are perfectly fine. I'm also not keen on the car 'booming' from the outside if I do wish to play music louder.

I am equivocal about cruise and park as well. I never use cruise, but have become accustomed to parking sensors (but if you can't park an Up without them...well...)

·
Registered
195 Posts
Congrats on the new car. It will be a nice Christmas present for you.
I have the standard radio and the sound is excellent. The car has 6 speakers.
I prefer to have a space saver spare wheel in the wheel well which you cant with the Beats.
You could still just remove the (ahem) subwoofer (it just unplugs, unscrews and lifts out) and drop a space saver in there anyway. The acoustics of the rubber tyre sitting snugly against the walls of the well, when resonating the great sound from the front speakers will probably provide more solid and audible bass than the ABS box anyway !

·
Registered
989 Posts
Congrats on the new order. I also ordered mine from VW Sheffield, although I ended up picking it up from VW Wakefield (they’re both JCT600). I fail to see how anyone could need parking sensors on the up!, you’re so close to the back window. In contrast to Jacara, I think the Beats system is decent. Perhaps I’ve just happened across the right settings for the sort of music I listen to.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Congrats on the new order. I also ordered mine from VW Sheffield, although I ended up picking it up from VW Wakefield (they’re both JCT600). I fail to see how anyone could need parking sensors on the up!, you’re so close to the back window. In contrast to Jacara, I think the Beats system is decent. Perhaps I’ve just happened across the right settings for the sort of music I listen to.
I would agree, by saying that the standard audio system is decent, which is in effect what you’re hearing as the beats system provides no discernible difference.

·
Registered
989 Posts
I would agree, by saying that the standard audio system is decent, which is in effect what you’re hearing as the beats system provides no discernible difference.
I know. You’ve said it a billion times on this forum, yet you’re still unwilling to accept a difference of opinion. No wonder this place is dying a death.

·
Registered
195 Posts
I know. You’ve said it a billion times on this forum, yet you’re still unwilling to accept a difference of opinion. No wonder this place is dying a death.
I may have mentioned it once other than in this thread.

I’m quite receptive to the opinions of others, after all, they’re exactly that, opinions, but having played and compared the sound from different genres of music from the same source, side-by-side, with two other, non-beats equipped UP!s, at various volume levels and sound settings, and also performed the same test both with and without the subwoofer connected, my point (and opinion of course ! :)) is that there’s no discernible difference from the driving seat.

Again, I agree with your stated opinion ... As you describe, the sound is “decent”. This, both with and without the beats option.

I’m not sure which difference of opinion are you referring to on your quoted post that‘s resulting in this place dying a death ?

For some reason, it seems to have touched a nerve, so I’ll leave it there.

·
Registered
989 Posts
I think you like to think you’re open to other people’s opinions, but you’re not really, you can’t help but assert your counter opinion, as evidenced here.

Anyway, enjoy the car Burble, with whatever options you choose.

Reactions: GrooveUp

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks andrewparker, looking forward to it. I’ll post pics when it finally arrives.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Hi Burble enjoy! 5 door silver is defo the way to go! 😄 I have run an Up! with the stereo upgrade and one without and have to say 100% the upgrade is no real improvement on the already very decent standard setup. Cheers

·
Registered
119 Posts
I’m quite receptive to the opinions of others, after all, they’re exactly that, opinions, but having played and compared the sound from different genres of music from the same source, side-by-side, with two other, non-beats equipped UP!s, at various volume levels and sound settings, and also performed the same test both with and without the subwoofer connected, my point (and opinion of course ! :)) is that there’s no discernible difference from the driving seat.
I agree with your opinion concerning Beats. The standard bass does not seem to be at all augmented by the subwoofer in the boot (certainly not in comparison to the Dynaudio system in my previous Golf 7R), the mids are muddy beyond belief, and the treble is borderline tinny. Like you, I have endlessly experimented with different music genres and head unit settings (which are a joke - where's the separate subwoofer volume control?) but to no avail. I've even replaced the front door and rear quarter panel mounted speakers with second-hand Dynaudio items with little or no improvement;. I've ordered a pair of second-hand Dynaudio tweeters to replace the cheapo-looking OEM items in the A-pillar, but I'm not confident that these will make much difference. I suspect that the fundamental problem is a poor quality standard head unit and auxiliary amp (the speaker-level input to the latter is a big clue concerning corners being cut here) but I'm not willing to spend ££££s replacing those.

Positives? At least Beats was a relatively cheap OEM option. And the little Beats badges on the A-pillars are cute. That's about it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks grooveup. Colour was the hardest choice! It was between red and silver for me. Ultimately went silver because I’ve previously found it the easiest colour to keep looking decent. But I will admit the red 3 door I tested looked brilliant, both colour and shape.

·
Registered
139 Posts
I have a red 3 door with black roof. The shine on the red paint is fantastic. I would love to know the make of polish the dealer used before delivery. I have always used Autoglym.
As for the radio,most times i have it turned off,as i prefer to listen to the sound of the engine.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
With regards to the audio system, our five door had the standard system and we found it to be absolutely fine.
Obviously the bass wasn't going to loosen your fillings, but it was a well
balanced and clear sounding system.

Ours was a 2018. From the posts above l wonder if VW downgraded the speakers on later cars.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Our white/black Gti 3 dr is due to be built next week (21 Sep). We ordered dual zone climate as it was so cheap and beats the simple a/c in our current High up! hands down for convenience.

Re passenger seat height adjuster - we ordered it, costs very little and we have found this handy in our other cars for getting really comfy.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Our white/black Gti 3 dr is due to be built next week (21 Sep). We ordered dual zone climate as it was so cheap and beats the simple a/c in our current High up! hands down for convenience.

Re passenger seat height adjuster - we ordered it, costs very little and we have found this handy in our other cars for getting really comfy.
I didn't know you could get dual-zone climate. Nice. :cool:

1 - 20 of 33 Posts