Up Owners Club banner

21 - 40 of 50 Posts

Registered
I certainly didnt realise I was being contradictory. But I can assure all who read and took the time to post it was not my intention to be so.

Thankyou Jacara for taking the time to post even if it read like your intention was to be direct and condescending. But reading some of your other replies it appears to be your MO.

As I dont wish to get into a tit for tat with Jacara or anybody else for that matter admin please feel free to close the thread.
Why throw in the towel ? Just because someone asks for clarification doesent mean they are having a pop at you and even if they are why throw in the towel.
Internet forums are not always what you or I might like or want to hear. Take the good bits of info and ignore the rest.
With respect I too was struggling to understand what contract or PCP your in and the term of it.
In short though once your period in either ends you can go to VW or any manufacturer... They will willingly take your coin. 馃憤馃憤

Registered
I would also just add that as far as Ford Wilmslow goes, I wouldn't wait for them to do anything. Some people there are probably OK, but at least person there is a nightmare. But regardless, you don't want another Ford by the sounds of things so you just get to the end and hand back. Alternatively, do you know if you're in the window of when you can activate the voluntary termination clause of your PCP when you have paid 50% of the stated invoice value of the car, including the deposit?

A lot of people worry about this and think it affects your credit rating - it does not. It is your right. Providing you're absolutely certain it is a PCP as you say it is a lease in your opening paragraph.

I always structure mine so the VTA window opens when it is 35 months old and I can hand it back pre-warranty disappearing. No point in banking on some equity that may or may not be there depending on how they feel, and if you're buying another car from the same dealer they'll give you something whether there's equity in it or not. You may already be in a window where you can hand it back.

So my current car had an price of 拢28,000(ish). By the time you add up your initial payment and all your monthlies and it comes to 拢14,000, boom - hand back time. You can obviously work out when this is going to happen. Ford Credit or whoever it is should be able to tell you where you are with this. Don't involve the dealer - they only want to sell you a Ford. Don't guess or take a punt on it though - ring someone up and confirm where you are with it all.

Having said that, have you not considered an Fiesta ST?

What I would say is that so far, I've not found the Up GTI to be very good value for money on a PCP or a lease. You seem to be paying 65-70% of the list price of one over three years on 10,000mpa and with a few options. That's not to say it isn't cheaper than most other things - just not proportionately so. If you could get a Fiesta ST for less or the same as a returning customer, I'd push the button on that. Don't get me wrong, the Up isn't trying to be an ST and it costs much less than one, but the latter is a far more impressive piece of kit and the finance prices might tell a different story.

I personally am still very much in the Up GTI camp but only because a Fiesta won't fit in my garage as it's a tad too wide unless I become slimmer of the year.

If you are trying to get a price on an Up GTI for finance (PCP), try drivethedeal - factor in I think they only allow 2 quotes in any 12 month period now (don't shoot me down on that if it's BS - it's just what I've heard) so make sure you are definitely going to be in a position to get one.

I used DtD in the past and I couldn't get anywhere near their prices by hammering the phones myself. They are good, I've just never ultimately gone with their car as I've eventually squeezed a deal out of MINI.

Or alternatively, try VWFS for a lease. They have 15 or 20 new ones kicking about that have just come off the ferry and don't have a home yet at any point in time and can be delivered in a week. Plus they can do a factory order in a month or so. I've never leased anything thus far as it always seems that they find something iffy anecdotally and are a bunch of sharks, but VWFS are straight as they come and a lot of people swear by them, and you hear of very few problems on forums where people vent their issues with everything.

But remember the Up GTI is a relatively cheap car to buy at 拢17,000 or so, and the finance deals are just a bit rubbish compared to that figure. Since you already have a Ford and they'd like to retain your business, it might be worth getting a quote on a Fiesta ST and arrange driving them back to back if your best prices are comparable. I'm not saying the Up GTI doesn't have a lot going for it as an ownership proposition, but they are two very different motors. The proof is in the driving.

Because of my garage I'm limited to a Mini Cooper S (on my fourth in 12 years), an Abarth 595 Competizione, a Mazda MX-5 or an Up GTI in terms of cars that will fit comfortably and hit 60 in less than 9 seconds. An Alpine A110 will fit, but it's... not really saving money! An Up GTI even in rip-off mode is saving me 拢130 a month against the current Cooper S quote I'm on, it's just that's more a reflection of MINI being a bit firm than the Up being a good deal. If you can give Ford a good squeeze, you could end up with something with a lot more firepower, handling prowess, kit and nice buckety seats at a fair old price. You may not, but it's always worth putting it out there. Don't ask, you don't get do ya...!

Registered
Discussion Starter #23 (Edited)
Why throw in the towel ? Just because someone asks for clarification doesent mean they are having a pop at you and even if they are why throw in the towel.
Internet forums are not always what you or I might like or want to hear. Take the good bits of info and ignore the rest.
With respect I too was struggling to understand what contract or PCP your in and the term of it.
In short though once your period in either ends you can go to VW or any manufacturer... They will willingly take your coin. 馃憤馃憤
Thanks for the reply and you make a fair point. I apologise to all if my post was confusing and I mean that. However I just didnt appreciate the way in which I was asked for clarification. As I wrote previously it was in my opinion condescending. And having read his other posts seems to be how this person operates. No offence to anyone who took the time to post replies which I found helpful. But honestly I just have no interest in getting into a battle with a forum member who seems to enjoy that sort of thing. Life is way too short and im too old :)

Registered
Discussion Starter #24 (Edited)
I would also just add that as far as Ford Wilmslow goes, I wouldn't wait for them to do anything. Some people there are probably OK, but at least person there is a nightmare. But regardless, you don't want another Ford by the sounds of things so you just get to the end and hand back. Alternatively, do you know if you're in the window of when you can activate the voluntary termination clause of your PCP when you have paid 50% of the stated invoice value of the car, including the deposit?

A lot of people worry about this and think it affects your credit rating - it does not. It is your right. Providing you're absolutely certain it is a PCP as you say it is a lease in your opening paragraph.

I always structure mine so the VTA window opens when it is 35 months old and I can hand it back pre-warranty disappearing. No point in banking on some equity that may or may not be there depending on how they feel, and if you're buying another car from the same dealer they'll give you something whether there's equity in it or not. You may already be in a window where you can hand it back.

So my current car had an price of 拢28,000(ish). By the time you add up your initial payment and all your monthlies and it comes to 拢14,000, boom - hand back time. You can obviously work out when this is going to happen. Ford Credit or whoever it is should be able to tell you where you are with this. Don't involve the dealer - they only want to sell you a Ford. Don't guess or take a punt on it though - ring someone up and confirm where you are with it all.

Having said that, have you not considered an Fiesta ST?

What I would say is that so far, I've not found the Up GTI to be very good value for money on a PCP or a lease. You seem to be paying 65-70% of the list price of one over three years on 10,000mpa and with a few options. That's not to say it isn't cheaper than most other things - just not proportionately so. If you could get a Fiesta ST for less or the same as a returning customer, I'd push the button on that. Don't get me wrong, the Up isn't trying to be an ST and it costs much less than one, but the latter is a far more impressive piece of kit and the finance prices might tell a different story.

I personally am still very much in the Up GTI camp but only because a Fiesta won't fit in my garage as it's a tad too wide unless I become slimmer of the year.

If you are trying to get a price on an Up GTI for finance (PCP), try drivethedeal - factor in I think they only allow 2 quotes in any 12 month period now (don't shoot me down on that if it's BS - it's just what I've heard) so make sure you are definitely going to be in a position to get one.

I used DtD in the past and I couldn't get anywhere near their prices by hammering the phones myself. They are good, I've just never ultimately gone with their car as I've eventually squeezed a deal out of MINI.

Or alternatively, try VWFS for a lease. They have 15 or 20 new ones kicking about that have just come off the ferry and don't have a home yet at any point in time and can be delivered in a week. Plus they can do a factory order in a month or so. I've never leased anything thus far as it always seems that they find something iffy anecdotally and are a bunch of sharks, but VWFS are straight as they come and a lot of people swear by them, and you hear of very few problems on forums where people vent their issues with everything.

But remember the Up GTI is a relatively cheap car to buy at 拢17,000 or so, and the finance deals are just a bit rubbish compared to that figure. Since you already have a Ford and they'd like to retain your business, it might be worth getting a quote on a Fiesta ST and arrange driving them back to back if your best prices are comparable. I'm not saying the Up GTI doesn't have a lot going for it as an ownership proposition, but they are two very different motors. The proof is in the driving.

Because of my garage I'm limited to a Mini Cooper S (on my fourth in 12 years), an Abarth 595 Competizione, a Mazda MX-5 or an Up GTI in terms of cars that will fit comfortably and hit 60 in less than 9 seconds. An Alpine A110 will fit, but it's... not really saving money! An Up GTI even in rip-off mode is saving me 拢130 a month against the current Cooper S quote I'm on, it's just that's more a reflection of MINI being a bit firm than the Up being a good deal. If you can give Ford a good squeeze, you could end up with something with a lot more firepower, handling prowess, kit and nice buckety seats at a fair old price. You may not, but it's always worth putting it out there. Don't ask, you don't get do ya...!
Thankyou a brilliant and thoughtful reply. I really appreciate the time taken to write this and I will take on some of your advice. Regarding the ST your thought had crossed my mind as the Fiesta is genuinely an excellent steer and very confidence inspiring whether on wet or dry roads. Helped by the excellent Michelin Pilot Sports. I will make some calls crunch some figures and generally do some research :) (y)

Registered
They'll call you if they have a chance to sell you something else, clear their order books or stiff you out of the residual value of your car.
One of the first indications I had that I should look into keeping my GTI (apart from the enjoyment it gave me obviously) was the out of the blue "courtesy" call, offering me a laughable sum to "upgrade" me into new car with over a year still to run on the contract.

Registered
Have you considered a Fiesta ST or if you want something a little bigger a Puma ST?

Both brilliant cars. Ok they are more expensive but you are getting a lot more car for the money.

Even used Fiesta ST's are dropping to sensible money for what is considered by many as the current best mainstream hot hatch.

Registered
Have you considered a Fiesta ST or if you want something a little bigger a Puma ST?

Both brilliant cars. Ok they are more expensive but you are getting a lot more car for the money.

Even used Fiesta ST's are dropping to sensible money for what is considered by many as the current best mainstream hot hatch.
If I was buying again today with similar money I used to buy my Gti I would struggle to not buy a ST given the depreciation they have now taken.

But to be fair owning either car is hardly a chore.

Registered
Discussion Starter #28

Thanks yes like the ST but dont need anything bigger to be honest. We have been really pleased with Ford but again being honest, and this may seem petty. But apart from seats the dash is identical in all models except the Focus. We just fancy something different with a bit of fun thrown in and as I have always been a VAG person it was the obvious choice. It seems though from comments here that although the UP GTI is a relatively cheap car the PCP figures maybe higher than what you might expect. Will see what the dealer does and or maybe look around at what else is about.

Registered
Thanks yes like the ST but dont need anything bigger to be honest. We have been really pleased with Ford but again being honest, and this may seem petty. But apart from seats the dash is identical in all models except the Focus. We just fancy something different with a bit of fun thrown in and as I have always been a VAG person it was the obvious choice. It seems though from comments here that although the UP GTI is a relatively cheap car the PCP figures maybe higher than what you might expect. Will see what the dealer does and or maybe look around at what else is about.
I don't want to beat up on the Up GTI, for as previously mentioned I'm probably getting one myself, but I would really urge you to consider a Fiesta ST if the numbers are comparable. I don't know what engine/output combo your Vignale is, but whatever it is the ST isn't comparable in the slightest. The ST is by no means perfect and the interior is a bit sombre, but you have proper seats, a proper infotainment system and for me personally although I think I can live with the interior of the Up GTI it does concern me in those two areas given I'm coming from a well specced up 2018 Cooper S.

Likewise, I think the Up GTI is probably a great little car in terms of it's width which means that you can almost apex within lanes and the engine is very good at being more than the sum of its parts. But you could be missing out on one of those truly special cars - drive one back to back with an Up GTI - don't base it on your Vignale - it's a serious bit of kit (as long as you ensure you get one with the performance pack with the Quaife LSD).

If the Fiesta ST fitted in my garage comfortably and the numbers checked out, it would be no contest. I'm heading to the Up GTI because my mileage looks set to decrease considerably in the medium term and although there's a lot which I don't like about it in prospect, it's the cheapest car I'm prepared to go to, but very much through the prism of a car I probably won't be using that often. But if it does end up being used a lot, I still think it's a decent enough car to stick with for three years.

Objectively the ST it's a far better car, better built (marginally), with a higher entry point for the base model, more kit, more power, excellent chassis dyanmics but better isn't better for everyone and I appreciate you may just prefer the Up GTI to a Fiesta ST, but I think you owe yourself at least a proper test to evaluate the pair of them and make sure you're right. It punches well above its weight and is regarded by most as an amazing little box of fireworks - if fun is your aim, there's a lot there. The things I personally don't like about the Fiesta ST relative to my current car are broadly speaking the same things I don't like about the Up GTI, but manifest themselves in different ways.

It's a moot point if it doesn't come in anywhere close on price as there's no point. All I would say is hit Ford for a price and then get yourself in one and try it out. No skin off my nose but I really wish people wouldn't deny themselves great motoring opportunities without even trying them out.

I don't have it in for the Up GTI - I'm quite looking forward to getting one and have exorcised most of my demons on the subject. It's good for me because it's the most capable car I can get that cheaply, but you may be in a position where the ST is cheap because of the position you're in and them wanting to possibly retain your business. I know that however pleased I am with it, when I see a Fiesta ST I'd get a bit moist.

(In the eyes).

Registered
I don't want to beat up on the Up GTI, for as previously mentioned I'm probably getting one myself, but I would really urge you to consider a Fiesta ST if the numbers are comparable. I don't know what engine/output combo your Vignale is, but whatever it is the ST isn't comparable in the slightest. The ST is by no means perfect and the interior is a bit sombre, but you have proper seats, a proper infotainment system and for me personally although I think I can live with the interior of the Up GTI it does concern me in those two areas given I'm coming from a well specced up 2018 Cooper S.

Likewise, I think the Up GTI is probably a great little car in terms of it's width which means that you can almost apex within lanes and the engine is very good at being more than the sum of its parts. But you could be missing out on one of those truly special cars - drive one back to back with an Up GTI - don't base it on your Vignale - it's a serious bit of kit (as long as you ensure you get one with the performance pack with the Quaife LSD).

If the Fiesta ST fitted in my garage comfortably and the numbers checked out, it would be no contest. I'm heading to the Up GTI because my mileage looks set to decrease considerably in the medium term and although there's a lot which I don't like about it in prospect, it's the cheapest car I'm prepared to go to, but very much through the prism of a car I probably won't be using that often. But if it does end up being used a lot, I still think it's a decent enough car to stick with for three years.

Objectively the ST it's a far better car, better built (marginally), with a higher entry point for the base model, more kit, more power, excellent chassis dyanmics but better isn't better for everyone and I appreciate you may just prefer the Up GTI to a Fiesta ST, but I think you owe yourself at least a proper test to evaluate the pair of them and make sure you're right. It punches well above its weight and is regarded by most as an amazing little box of fireworks - if fun is your aim, there's a lot there. The things I personally don't like about the Fiesta ST relative to my current car are broadly speaking the same things I don't like about the Up GTI, but manifest themselves in different ways.

It's a moot point if it doesn't come in anywhere close on price as there's no point. All I would say is hit Ford for a price and then get yourself in one and try it out. No skin off my nose but I really wish people wouldn't deny themselves great motoring opportunities without even trying them out.

I don't have it in for the Up GTI - I'm quite looking forward to getting one and have exorcised most of my demons on the subject. It's good for me because it's the most capable car I can get that cheaply, but you may be in a position where the ST is cheap because of the position you're in and them wanting to possibly retain your business. I know that however pleased I am with it, when I see a Fiesta ST I'd get a bit moist.

(In the eyes).

My reasoning for the UP was exactly the same as yours. Could not stretch to the ST for reasons of economy due to the miles I do. I also bought used and not PCP so the finance figures didn't matter for me. 2 years ago I simply couldn't afford the ST either to buy or run. Now I could have done (because used they have dropped) and I could probably man maths myself into convincing myself the fuel bills would be ok.

TBH if it was 12-15 k and I wanted a reliable fun daily car and the mileage wasn't silly it would probably be between the ST and a GT86.

Registered
I was considering the ST back when I got my GTI a couple of years ago but it didn't take me long to decide. The fiesta ST is just boring, regardless of figures.
Also, I don't really think its comparable to the Up! GTI at all. Its bigger, more powerful and considerably more expensive (especially when I bought my GTI a couple of years ago), surely it would be more comparable to a Polo GTI?

To be honest, there isn't much that I would put in the same bracket as an Up GTI. Maybe the Twingo GT? Suzuki Swift Sport? If ford did a KA ST that would be comparable, but they don't, so maybe the Fiesta 1.0 ecoboost ST-Line?

Registered
I just looked and there are 66 nationwide most of which are also on EBay.....That鈥檚 not exactly hundreds. There are 1400+ Ups for sale nationwide.

There were over 200 Up
GTi for sale when l looked a few weeks ago, but l just looked again and there are about 90 over Ebay and Auto Trader.
Some may be duplicate listings (listed on both platforms)

Registered
There were over 200 Up
GTi for sale when l looked a few weeks ago, but l just looked again and there are about 90 over Ebay and Auto Trader.
Some may be duplicate listings (listed on both platforms)
When I bought my car in December there were 45 nationally on AT......Most of which were also on EBay.
Today there 1476 Ups for sale just 61 of them are GTIs....

100s for sale literally is literally rubbish.

61 car spread across the whole of the UK makes for a fairly uncommon if not rare car. Literally 馃槣馃槣馃槣

Registered
The fiesta ST is just boring, regardless of figures.
Each to their own but I have never heard anyone else call the Fiesta ST boring!

Like the Golf GTI it's one of those brilliant all round cars that you can use everyday, that does everything very well with very few compromises and puts a smile on most faces.

It might be a bit boring I suppose compared to a caterham or even a Mazda MX-5 but those are not everyday cars and have compromises.

Life is too short to not buy the car that excites you every time you look at it and drive it! (something only a few people actually do in reality).

Registered
I was considering the ST back when I got my GTI a couple of years ago but it didn't take me long to decide. The fiesta ST is just boring, regardless of figures.
Also, I don't really think its comparable to the Up! GTI at all. Its bigger, more powerful and considerably more expensive (especially when I bought my GTI a couple of years ago), surely it would be more comparable to a Polo GTI?

To be honest, there isn't much that I would put in the same bracket as an Up GTI. Maybe the Twingo GT? Suzuki Swift Sport? If ford did a KA ST that would be comparable, but they don't, so maybe the Fiesta 1.0 ecoboost ST-Line?
Did you drive a Mk8 ST and consider it boring compared to an Up GTI?

I don't consider it comparable to an Up GTI, it's just the OP already has a Fiesta and were Ford eager to retain his business they may offer him a deal on it as the Up GTI is renowned as a very poor finance proposition when you weigh finance costs, be they lease or PCP against the car's value.

Twingo isn't sold any more, I believe and was pretty useless despite promise shown by it's slightly nutty mechanical arrangement. Suzuki Swift was much faster than the Up but that it had it's power advantage stolen by WLTP compliance, but is also pretty tacky inside - as well as being quite a bit bigger. I agree the Up doesn't have any natural predators in its own class.

A Fiesta ST is now competitor for a Polo GTI and a Polo GTI is a fundamentally awful car relative to its brief. Hot hatches that feel dull, although admittedly rapid, are a failure. I'm no great fan of Ford, and the UK dealer chain is one of their biggest issues, but the Fiesta ST is a monumentally good car regardless of cost for people who appreciate a keen steer. It's not for everyone, but it sure as the brown stuff is not boring. I don't think it is achievable to get one at a similar price, so it's an almost pointless argument - but it's nutty to say it's boring, especially if we're talking about an Up GTI as a comparison.

Registered
When I bought my car in December there were 45 nationally on AT......Most of which were also on EBay.
Today there 1476 Ups for sale just 61 of them are GTIs....

100s for sale literally is literally rubbish.

61 car spread across the whole of the UK makes for a fairly uncommon if not rare car. Literally 馃槣馃槣馃槣
But we can't judge a car's rarity or otherwise by how many are up for sale can we? There are 3,000 of them out there in existence, most of which are not up for sale, which marks it as a relatively rare car on the roads, but it probably hasn't been on sale that long, if you include the break. But to look at another VW, the Scirocco R, which was admittedly a dearer car (and also a bit of a stinker which won't have helped its cause), sold fewer units than that over 7/8 years on sale in the UK.

But it's not a metric I'm that concerned about. I'll have anything if it's any good. If everyone else happens to have it, then big deal.

Registered
Discussion Starter #38

(In the eyes).
Thanks for the reply. Our Vignale is the 125hp engine and never found it lacking. It has a lovely noise but very refined at speed and cruising. Our car has heated leather seats and steering wheel. It also has the superb B&O audio system and electric pan roof. The Ford infotainment is also pretty good. Very impressed with the NAV. But its definitely a heck of a drive.

I think if Ford offered us a ridiculous deal to step into an ST I would be very tempted. But I guess it would also depend on whether its the ST2 or 3 as quite a difference in price between ST2 & ST3. I have to agree though. I have never seen or read any review that calls the ST boring.

I love the idea though of a red GTI sat next to my reliable old High UP. And I know the UP is called a city car but my High UP is really rather good on the motorway. My daughter took mine to Cornwall and said how good it was.

Registered
Discussion Starter #39
So purely out of interest and to add to the discussion I dragged out my agreement. By my reckoning 'break even' point on my car is about year 3 and im only just over a year in. Clearly it would be financially bonkers to try and make a deal now.

I might consider going used with a personal loan or looking into raising some cash for a larger deposit on new. Although that would mean doing something ASAP assuming VW could stop making the GTI any time soon. Anyway wifey really likes the Fiesta so we may also keep it and decide later what to do.

Anyway who knows.

Registered
So purely out of interest and to add to the discussion I dragged out my agreement. By my reckoning 'break even' point on my car is about year 3 and im only just over a year in. Clearly it would be financially bonkers to try and make a deal now.

I might consider going used with a personal loan or looking into raising some cash for a larger deposit on new. Although that would mean doing something ASAP assuming VW could stop making the GTI any time soon. Anyway wifey really likes the Fiesta so we may also keep it and decide later what to do.

Anyway who knows.
First PCP is it, by any chance?

As a rule, you ain't coming out of it any time before your VT period without pain. Your payments are effectively the depreciation + a slice of profit, so it takes a long time for your payments, which have been averaged out, to actually start meeting what the car has has lost. You're entering into a contract, so it's always good to make sure you've picked the right car.

But you don't have a bad motor there. Stick with it. An Up GTI is only a marginal advancement on what you have in some ways, and a step backwards in others. But a word to the wise - make sure you really want one if you're going to do something daft!

21 - 40 of 50 Posts