Up Owners Club banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sharing an experience here, looking for advice on how to proceed, and a headsup on a possible recall.

Timeline

July 2019 - Purchase UP GTI from VW, approved used, 2.5k miles, 6 months old
Nov 2019 - Start to notice strange rattling/grinding noise on idle. Only happens when the car is on over-run RPM when first cold starting the car. Sounds horrible, like something loose in engine. Noise is proportional to RPM of engine at idle (blip throttle = noise worse). As soon as the car is warm (normally about 60 seconds in winter), the noise goes away and you can pull off.
Dec 2019 - Has first service, mentioned to dealer, no fault found
Jan 2019 - Returns to dealer, no fault found
Feb 2019 - Dealer has car for 4 weeks. Confirms fault. Goes back and forth with "Germany" and suspects it might be turbo or gearbox.
March 2019 - lockdown starts, car is returned to me without a fix
May 2019 - they get the car back, have it for a week, remind themselves of the problem. After 7 days I get a call saying they can still see the problem, but cannot fix my car at this time. As of 28th May, VW have apparently identified a TPI (Technical Product Information, aka re-call I think) specific to this chassis. They are working on the required fix, and until this is available, the dealer cannot do anything.

Feel like I've been stuffed to be honest :) Sorry sir, yes your car is broke, yes its in warranty, but you will have to wait for us to decide what to do.

I was hoping it was just the loose fuel lines reported by other users and it would be a quick fix, but this has dragged on for ages now!

·
Registered
366 Posts
Thanks for the info; not what you expect with a car that young. Presumably it's still under the original 3 year manufacturer's warranty, not the 1-year Approved used/Das Welt one (it being June...)?
All I can say is that a TPI (also called TSB - technical service bulletin) isn't a recall notice - see this quote from the VW problems site:
Technical Service Bulletins (TSBs) are recommended steps and procedures for repairing vehicles. A TSB is issued by an automaker when there is a growing trend with an unanticipated problem, but does not warrant a recall.
and further info on where to get more details on TSBs for your VIN here (though you would have to pay for access - assuming they've actually posted it to the system already).
Recalls are only for safety-critical items. Though it may not feel like it, a TSB is a promising step forwards; it's an official acknowledgement that the problem is real (often a battle in its own right), it will tell technicians what to do if/when they see the problem in another car, and, at least in principle, it should flag up on all affected models when they next go in for servicing (where it will be dealt with under whatever payment/warranty terms apply to the car at that time - only recalls must be fixed for free). Lockdown will not have helped (compounded by the 2 countries locking down and reopening at different times), but assuming they aren't trying to wiggle out of fixing it under the warranty, your timeline suggests this problem is not an easy one to solve, as frustrating as that is. That also means it's out of your dealer's hands, so applying pressure to them won't get you anywhere. If your warranty is about to expire, though, I suggest you start being rather firm with them, and ensure any fix remains covered...
Out of interest (since I was discussing the Up!'s gearbox evolution with another owner earlier today), if you have your service book, could you tell us the gearbox code? There's a sticker with all the car's option codes on the inside front cover. The primary gearbox code is three letters (mine is QCF), most likely at the start of the 4th line (the one before all the smaller 3-character codes). That would help other owners determine whether they have the same gearbox and therefore might be similarly affected (assuming it is the gearbox and not the turbo).

·
Registered
160 Posts
I wouldn’t let it consume you, mine does a similar thing.

It’s like a metallic tappety noise that begins within a few seconds of starting the engine from cold, once the system has established and stabilised at a fast idle speed and remains until the Idle speed drops to normal after warming up.

At first I thought it could be due to the 0W20 oil that the car is supplied with, but now it’s had its first service, and the dealer has filled it with slightly more viscous oil, that seems not to be the case as I can still hear it.

It is a noise that is periodic, whose frequency is directly related to engine RPM, and so I would suggest it isn’t turbo related. Although I wouldn’t rule out the drivetrain, it sounds like it could just be a chain noise (I did once read the EA211 tech. overview in detail but honestly can’t remember if a chain forms part of any of the elaborate setup), or even a bush or bearing relating to an auxiliary device such as the alternator.

Being a 3 pot, there’s a natural imbalance anyway and I’m not concerned enough to consume time and energy drillIng down into it any further. It may just be a characteristic of the engine. If it is something more of a concern, then no doubt it will get worse in time, and others will start complaining until it becomes a more established issue with a known cause and remedy.

Enjoy your Car ! :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the guidance in the comments above :)

It's certainly more than a quirk, it sounds horrible, like a spanner is stuck in the engine !

Good comment re: it probably not being the turbo due to RPM relationship.

I'll let you all know how it plays out. I'll just wait for the call from VW and in the mean time try to ignore the noise :) Aside from that I love the little car.... although the old man in me prefers the softer suspension on the Polo they have given me as a courtesy car :D

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Bit more info for anyone else that might be affected. TPI# 2059521/2. Related to charge pressure control system that is part of the turbocharger. Specifically during Cat converter warm up period (cold start idle / over-run). Awaiting VW fix.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Sorry to hear about your rough experience, I had a rough time arguing with my dealership over my fuel line rattle (which was eventually fixed with much arguing.). A brand new car and i was treated like a mug. Wont see a penny more from me.

Hasn't stopped me falling in love with the car.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Ours has just been in for service & warranty work again 🙄. Mentioned the same issue that you mentioned & have been informed by them the same explanation/ excuse ( something to do with 🐈). Off to pick it up now, will post their reply.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I expect the ‘rod for charge pressure’ is the mechanical linkage between the electric wastegate actuator and wastegate itself. You can just about see the actuator at the back of the engine next to the bulkhead and with a mirror see the linkage.

The linkage often can have a small amount of play in it particularly at the wastegate end which gets very hot (and bearing design is limited). This play is only there when the wastegate is open, since when it is closed the electric actuator is continually pulling the wastegate closed.

I’ve just checked on my own Up GTI and during the catalyst heating phase after start (the part we observe as having elevated idle) the wastegate is open (for a small benefit in heating the catalyst faster). Once catalyst heating is complete the wastegate closes.

This should explain why your noise is there only during catalyst heating idle and not at idle afterwards. The only other time I would expect the wastegate to open is to regulate full load torque. The connection to catalyst heating idle when the wastegate is open may explain the dealers link to cats.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Having picked up our car from dealer for service & warranty work (on start up when cold, rattles), they informed us of TPI & there is currently no fix, so just have to wait until a fix is sorted. Off to clean up the mess they made with the service, drain some oil ( overfilled) & wait for the call from the dealer as to when the trim panel they broke whilst replacing shock absorber 🙄 ( they hoped i wouldn`t have noticed,moron`s).

·
Registered
651 Posts
That's weird. I had a couple of rear shockers replaced under warranty, on my old 15 plate High Up about 3 years ago. The dealer broke the same trim panel. They told me about it when I picked the car up, ordered it, and when it came, gave me a courtesy car while they fixed it !
Just shows the difference in dealerships.

Reactions: plancast

·
Registered
163 Posts
I have just drained a litre of oil they overfilled it with:mad: & also noticed my spoiler is loose again ( the tape has come away, hopefully 3rd time lucky when they replace it).

·
Registered
366 Posts
I'm glad there are some good dealers around @911ts3. The two I've dealt with up here both required a firm tone (and repeated visits) to get anything done, but thankfully no damage. Meanwhile another member of my family has stayed with the same dealer for over a decade because they do such a good job. Good customer service makes such a difference - and requires more than a free cup of tea (lovely as that is).

·
Registered
163 Posts
Sorry to deviate from the thread topic, but if anyone knows a dealer in the South West that gives a monkeys about their customers, let me know (y)

·
Registered
651 Posts
I'm glad there are some good dealers around @911ts3. The two I've dealt with up here both required a firm tone (and repeated visits) to get anything done, but thankfully no damage. Meanwhile another member of my family has stayed with the same dealer for over a decade because they do such a good job. Good customer service makes such a difference - and requires more than a free cup of tea (lovely as that is).
We've been very lucky. We have bought four out of five of our Up's from Lincoln, and one from Sheffield. Our local dealer in Doncaster is very obliging (all services and shock absorber warranty work done there, apart from the clutch required at 4000 miles on my first High Up, which was done back at the selling dealer in Sheffield), and they've all been excellent .
I'd rate Lincoln 5/5 for their sales , Doncaster 5/5 for their servicing, and Sheffield 4/5 for their sales and 5/5 for their warranty work.
Having said that, the only warranty work over 51/2 years, & 70000 miles across all five cars, has been a pair of shockers and a clutch.

Reactions: plancast
1 - 17 of 17 Posts