Up Owners Club banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
All depends on how old your car is and whether it's in the chassis number range for this issue. If it's not then warranty won't be able to make a claim.

·
Registered
Up GTI
9 Posts
Yeah it occurs when it is about 2000 -3000 rpm in those gears and you accelerate
for example 4th gear 2000 rpm is about 80km/h or about 50 miles if i am correct

Rattling disappears after 3000something ~ 3300 rpm

The Up is 1 year old, in warranty

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Update - still waiting for VW to release a fix for this TPI. (2059521/2). Was hoping to get this sorted at the same time as my service next month, but been told by local dealer that TPIs can take years to fix (?!)

·
Registered
Up GTI
9 Posts
I dont think thats accurate but anyway keep us updated.
I got my turbo replaced in warranty.

Rattling on idle/ cold start gone (at least for now..)
Rattling when accelerating still continues.

Possibly gearbox issue like rav mentioned before but it appears there is no chassis recall or anything regarding this issue for my up gti.
Everything is smooth (clutch, lever, changing gears-feel ) except for that rattling..

·
Registered
Up GTI
9 Posts
At first glance, the answer i got from the local dealer is that the sound i'm hearing , is a harmless harmonic vibration of the meshing gears.

I have left the car so they can look into the issue further (gearbox oil level, gearbox mount etc)

·
Registered
592 Posts
What exactly is "a harmless harmonic vibration of the meshing gears "?
Gear pairs that are "meshed" are under strong forces when you are driving - in what way can they harmonically vibrate, and how come millions of other Up/Mii/Citigo owners aren't getting that all the time too? :)

·
Registered
919 Posts
Correct, Dealer gobbledygook. My GTi has never done it, nor the Mrs' Tsi.
Needs sorting

Reactions: freemansteve

·
Registered
592 Posts
That'd be a dealer I would not go to again!

.....Unless there really is some "mystical Jedi-gear-thing" I've not come across in the last 45 years, which includes a few gearbox strip-downs (but they haven't changed much).

The "truth is out there". Whooo............ :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Turned out to be superseeded by TPI 2056984/3 - 5th/6th gear selector forks replacement. Done under warranty, otherwise job cost was £700. All sorted now, no rattle on cold idle.

·
Registered
Up GTI
9 Posts
Hello , happy holidays and happy new year to all !
Update:
Sadly nothing from dealer. Well its kinda expected.
Gear mesh vibration is a good alternative to "Well we dont know whats going on , just say some bullsh*t and get rid of him "

Search will continue after holidays.
I am starting to think that the culprit is the soundaktor. Especially when on 6th gear and trying to accelerate hard at about ~2k rpm the whole dash rattles. Its really bad.
After googling how this god **** thing works maybe is the cause of my problem. (I hope )
Its only on full throttle ,even at about 3/4 throttle everything is fine.

Mine is a MY19 , guess i can turn it off completely with OBDeleven when it arrives or just plug it off to test before goes to (another) dealer again.

·
Registered
380 Posts
We've had a noise that I swear is a glitch with the sound generator and also have a OBDeleven on the way. It's very random and 99% off the time it doesn't do it...

·
Registered
65 Posts
We've had a noise that I swear is a glitch with the sound generator and also have a OBDeleven on the way. It's very random and 99% off the time it doesn't do it...
Can you change soundaktor volume with OBDeleven?

·
Registered
380 Posts
I guess I will find out when it arrives but supposedly mine is a 2019 year model even though it was delivered in 2018 and it's meant to be in the menus....

21 - 35 of 35 Posts