Up Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all
Older long term VW fan running a Golf GTI.
Bought a used Up GTI to replace my wife's Swift Sport which was picking up punctures almost monthly.
Hate the useless glue kits so like many looking to replace kit with actual spare.
I see that the recommendation is to purchase a 14'' wheel but was wondering if members mean an actual Up 14'' wheel or the 14'' spacesaver wheel.
I see a site Wheel Store is offering both.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I'm just about to get an old 4x100 Space Saver out the garage which is 14" for my GTI. Although reading up you'll only be able to use it for the rear due to the front caliper catching. So if you do get a tyre problem at the front you have to put the space saver on the rear then swap the rear Alloy wheel for the front flat Alloy wheel

·
Super Moderator
1,032 Posts
The Up steel spare wheel is the same as a normal steel wheel on a non-gti up, so technically not a space saver at all! On a gti it will only fit on the rear axle as the front brakes on gti's are too big to fit the steel over. As aword of caution, I tried to find a BBS 16'' alloy on the front of mine when I got a puncture as it scraped on the caliper, so be careful of that too!

·
Registered
307 Posts
Quick tip, as you've already found out from comments, space saver and standard steels won't fit. Jack the car up, take of a front wheel and see if you can actually fit it in the wheel well, before all the grief, it will be tight. Its all a waste of time if you can't carry it in the car. If it fits, buy an OEM alloy and tyre and enjoy the piece of mind. I have a Tsi, running a full size alloy/ tyre (bit easier due to wheel size)

·
Registered
324 Posts
Quick tip, as you've already found out from comments, space saver and standard steels won't fit. Jack the car up, take of a front wheel and see if you can actually fit it in the wheel well, before all the grief, it will be tight. Its all a waste of time if you can't carry it in the car. If it fits, buy an OEM alloy and tyre and enjoy the piece of mind. I have a Tsi, running a full size alloy/ tyre (bit easier due to wheel size)
I have a never used 16" spacesaver out of an Astra from gumtree for £10 that fits the back wheels and that's all it needs to fit.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Perfect get you home.................
All I'm saying is your "quick tip" is wrong because as long as a spacesaver fits your GTIs back wheels then that's all that matters as if you have a front puncture you just swap a good back wheel for the front puncture and put the spacesaver on the back.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I bought a set of winter wheels which are 16" 6.5 - they fit the over the front callipers perfectly too, i'm keeping one of them in the wheel well as a spare, despite it having winter tyres this would be more than enough to get home in what I feel is far better than the repair kit and not having to worry about swopping the front and back wheels around with a skinny spare. I bought the wheels from here:

Platin Wheels

Plus I also checked out that you can fit the 17" Oswalds in the wheel well too - so for anyone considering getting hold of one of these then this is an option too.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all your replies.
Car bought online and arrived Thursday delivered to my door.
Silver March 2019 with 1200 (Twelve hundred) on the clock. Immaculate condition'
Ordered the 14'' space saver on Friday and it arrived today, great service from the Wheel store. Fit is great.
In addition to that I have fitted Osram Nightbreaker Lasers and have removed the wheels and copper greased the hubs.
Loving the car already.
Thanks again.

·
Registered
637 Posts
I don't think you're strictly allowed to fit different sized wheels on the same axle, HOWEVER, if you have a 17" Oswald with a 40 profile, it's within a gnats of a 16" with a 50 profile tyre, or virtually the same dia of a 16" with a 55 profile, , and IMO is a perfectly acceptable "get you home" solution.
As long as the overall diameter of the wheel & tyre is very similar, then there should be no issues from the boys in blue, provided you're only using it as a spare..
Think about it, all manufacturers were putting poxy spacesavers in the boot of cars with much bigger diameter / wider alloys for years, but the spacesaver was always an 80 profile tyre .
If you want a new Oswald then they're mega money from VW.
There are always a few sets of wheels or wheels & tyres on Ebay in Germany, but always between £800 & £1200, as they're rare and sought after.They do come up in sets & singles occasionally on here, and on Ebay, there have been a couple recently, although singles are usually scuffed ones that the owner has had replaced through his/her wheel & tyre insurance.
I have had one of my Oswald's in the boot well, and don't remember it sitting proud, in fact, one was in there all last winter whilst I had the winter wheels on, which were the 15" standard alloys from the Mrs' Tsi, with 50 profile tyres .
I use a spare because most of the tyre issues on GTi's centre around blowouts / bulges because of the 40 profile / potholes / ridiculously high pressures specced by VW, I run mine at much lower pressures.
There ain't any kind of glue in an aerosol that's going to fill a blowout 1" hole............

Reactions: plancast

·
Registered
637 Posts
I'll be honest, the Oswald only just fits, but I think it's more of a case of the cost of providing one than anything else. There's also the issue of housing the jack, tools etc, but not insurmountable.
Just remember that not all 15" will clear the bigger GTi calipers on the front, (I have a 15" standard alloy from my Mrs' Tsi in my wheel well, and they only barely clear the caliper, so close in fact that I had a fabricator friend of mine make up a 2mm thick spacer to use if I ever have to use it. )
If you bought a wheel which didn't clear the front caliper, and you got a front puncture, you'd have to take a rear wheel off, transfer it to the front and fit the spare to the rear.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Yes, no problem, it will fit on the VW steel wheel.

·
Registered
637 Posts
They do supply a jack, tools, wheelnut key, bottle of tyre goo, and a tyre inflator. All supplied in a black polystyrene moulding that fits in the spare wheel well. (which you have to remove if you utilise a spare wheel), and put the accessories mentioned, in a bag in the boot, or in the "under boot".

·
Registered
307 Posts
I got the full sack of goodies with the Tsi, but no spare. I bought a steel 15'' wheel from the dealer, so, for insurance purposes, I was running a type approved VW supplied wheel..................

·
Registered
8 Posts
The Up steel spare wheel is the same as a normal steel wheel on a non-gti up, so technically not a space saver at all! On a gti it will only fit on the rear axle as the front brakes on gti's are too big to fit the steel over. As aword of caution, I tried to find a BBS 16'' alloy on the front of mine when I got a puncture as it scraped on the caliper, so be careful of that too!
@lupogtiboy it wasn't a BBS RX2 by any chance? Was looking at a set of these (16") for mine, but aware the ET is high (45) and don't really want to go down the spacer route if I can help it...

·
Super Moderator
1,032 Posts
@lupogtiboy it wasn't a BBS RX2 by any chance? Was looking at a set of these (16") for mine, but aware the ET is high (45) and don't really want to go down the spacer route if I can help it...
Yes it was! They fit fine on my lupo with 280mm calipers, but the extra 8mm on the Up Gti brakes makes the difference!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Yes it was! They fit fine on my lupo with 280mm calipers, but the extra 8mm on the Up Gti brakes makes the difference!
Ah, that's a shame - I'm really struggling to find some OEM (or even OEM-looking) 16" wheels for the Up that aren't narrow and/or with a high offset. Looks like I might just have to bite the bullet and get something off the shelf instead.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Tempted to get one of these sets for Winter wheels but Oz ones say fit but the BBS Reps say don't when you put its for a Up GTI 🤔

1 - 20 of 22 Posts