Up Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A winter tyre fan club in our house for Aberdeenshire motoring November to early April. In anticipation of my missus up being here in the next couple of weeks we’re organised and have a set of wheels/tyres standing by to swap over.

Looked at loads of options for aftermarket as well as genuine wheels and ended up going with genuine 15” Merano wheels which are listed in the German domestic market brochure as a GTI accessory.

Will see how we get on - the wheels are amusingly small and skinny so should be brilliant if we get some snow!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
A secondary benefit.

Apparently the ride quality of the Up GTi is much improved with these wheels fitted.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I've bought the same type myself. Waiting for the first snow or at least for the temperature to dip below 5 degrees

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
A secondary benefit.

Apparently the ride quality of the Up GTi is much improved with these wheels fitted.
Good point and highly likely - they’ll be going on pretty much as soon as we take delivery so it’ll be late March/early April when the factory 17s go back on - proof will be if my missus says ‘Put the little ones back on!’

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've bought the same type myself. Waiting for the first snow or at least for the temperature to dip below 5 degrees
Good plan - I generally aim for early November to change wheels over as temperatures of consistently below 7c won’t be far away and gritted roads will have their way with the polished / lacquered surfaces on the factory wheels.

·
Registered
284 Posts
As my original Goodyears are now 3mm and I live in Cumbria, I am thinking of putting some cheapo Nankang or Kumho winters on the fronts only.

£150 the whole job.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Had Nankang’s on an A4 years ago so maybe they’ve improved but they weren’t great - cheap tyre and, while better than a summer tyre, weren’t up to much in the wet. Kumho do better in the reviews so maybe worth a look. Winters on front and summers on rear not recommended due to big difference in how they grip but no law against it - insurance may take issue if you have a bump which they put down to mixed tyres. Costco worth a look - just put a full set of Good Year Ultragrip on my sons Polo for ~£210 fitted and balanced. 15” steels which I picked up off eBay for £60 and painted for the cost of a few rattle cans.

Attachments

·
Registered
284 Posts
All good points.

I think on reflection I'll go to matching Goodyear F1 Asymmetric 5 front and rear and some snow socks in the boot.
My wife's X3 has Crossclimate Pirellis with sipes. Bad snow=steal her car.

·
Registered
529 Posts
As my original Goodyears are now 3mm and I live in Cumbria, I am thinking of putting some cheapo Nankang or Kumho winters on the fronts only.

£150 the whole job.

Thoughts?

I fitted some Nankang sv3’s to the wife’s Beetle and they were pretty darn good imho.
Went looking for snow while in the Lake District and found the Kirk stone pass.
Drove past every thing that was stuck, did a hill start without even a flash of the TC.
When the road cleared at lower levels turned around and went over the top and did it again.
She had them on all year with out any issue.
All seasons could be worth a look for all year use.
Vredestien do a qautrac pro in 205/40/17.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hi

Can I please ask where you bought the alloys and a rough idea of the cost, thanks
Hi, I bought my Merano alloys with Pirelli winter tyres for 289EUR off a gumtree-like website over here. The rims are unmarked and came off a 15000km up! and the tyres still have 8mm of tread on them.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
lt's expensive but don't forget it will prolong the life of your existing tyres, as they won't be in use for 1/3 of the year.
Also your expensive-to-refurbish OE alloys will stay perfect for longer as well.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
lt's expensive but don't forget it will prolong the life of your existing tyres, as they won't be in use for 1/3 of the year.
Also your expensive-to-refurbish OE alloys will stay perfect for longer as well.
Agreed, got fed up having the ‘diamond cut’ wheels refurbished on a previous Audi and ended up just getting them powder coated. Dedicated set of winter wheels also saves the cost of swapping the tyres over twice a year so, depending on how long you keep the car, there’s a fair chance they’ll go a long way toward paying for themselves. And when you change the car there’s value remaining in the wheels and maybe the tyres if enough left on them above the 4mm wear indicator.

·
Registered
379 Posts
I believe that in Italy, the law insists that all tyres are of the same brand and model on all 4 wheels.
In practice, I suppose so long as you have at least 3 random rubber doughnuts fitted, nobody cares too much...

·
Registered
11 Posts
Any 4x100 wheels will fit as long as the centre bore is 57.1 or bigger: if bigger you can reduce down with spigot rings.. or if you have the facility, Vauxhall corsa or Astra 4 stud are 56.6 so could machine 1/2mm out of the centre bore..
I’ve gone with the Vauxhall option, purchase price of the wheels was 80 quid for all 4 and they are et39 offset nearly exactly the same as original. And with the Vauxhall option you have loads of 16” option available if you want. I’ve gone with 15’s because they tyres are also a lot cheaper

1 - 20 of 40 Posts