Up Owners Club banner

21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
I have these,
as usual Hawcos wouldnt order as they were on Back order so thanks to John H He organised a set at St.Andrews and a nice trip in the up to collect them,
I havent removed mine as they are so comfy

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi all,

Does anybody have any info or experience as to why these are not suitable for the Up GTI?

Wheel size: 6.0J x 16
Hole circle [mm] / number of holes: 100/4
Rim offset [mm]: 43
Required Tyre size: 185/50 R16 81H
Note: Use existing standard-fit wheel bolts
Not suitable for model variants: e-up!, Cross up!, GTi

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
I looked at these too as a winter set and got nowhere on the same question - called the VW parts desk who couldn’t advise any reason other than ‘Volkswagen computer says no’. Only option is to locate a wheel and offer it up as it may well fit without issue. As an example of same scenario, I have a set of genuine BMW 17” alloys for winter on my M140i (huge brakes and factory fit is 18” wheels) but it took a knowledgeable main dealer to confirm they fitted as the BMW website said they were incompatible but with no reason given. Sorry, not really an answer but worth persevering with as they could go straight on or simply need a small spacer if clearance from calliper is the issue.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I suspect that if anything, the offset may have something to do with it. The Up hasn’t yet arrived so I’m unable to even test fit at this stage.

I also have a M140i with 225 square setup 17” winters. The difference in traction with the winters fitted (in the winter) is silly.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Love my Beemer and took a while to learn to drive again after years of S3 Quattro - M140i is a brute and my missus drove it once (in a huge empty car park!) and was suitably terrified that she now refuses to do it again. You’ll love the Up! - it’s the complete opposite, great fun and sounds like a sewing machine from the outside but something much more hairy chested on the inside. Sound actuators are naff on hot hatches (IMHO) but hilarious on the little VeeDub. Good luck with wheels mate - wish I could offer some proper help.

·
Registered
825 Posts
I suspect that if anything, the offset may have something to do with it. The Up hasn’t yet arrived so I’m unable to even test fit at this stage.
Nothing to do with the offset whatsoever.
My wife has the 16" Upsilon's on her Tsi, which are exactly the same diameter and offset as the 16" Triangle ones. Her original Tsi 15" alloys are on my Gti as winter wheels.
When I first tried her 15" on the GTi, there was only about 5 thou clearance to the caliper. Just to make sure, I made up a pair of 1.6mm spacers at 100mm pcd and glued them to the inside of the front wheels. Obviously there is now loads of clearance.
99.9% sure the Triangles will fit with no issues.
If I get chance over the next few days, I'll jack both up and test fit one of her Upsilons onto the Gti to make sure.

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
Many thanks for your reply 911

My thought regarding offset wasn’t particularly due to the wheel fouling on/in the arch etc, but the spokes being ‘deeper’ on the triangles, resulting in fouling the calliper (as very nearly happened on your 15’s).

it would be extremely interesting to hear if the 16” Upsilons clear your callipers. It is a big ask, but if you did get chance it would be very much appreciated and a big help to a few of us 🙂

·
Registered
4 Posts
Here we go;

Because of the 0.5” reduced width and slightly weaker offset, the winters would sit in by 10.4mm in comparison to the OE GTI wheels, hence why we are seeing the issue of spokes being extremely close to callipers. 5-10mm spacers would resolve this, but it’s not a route I ideally wanted to take..

Any other thoughts gents?

·
Registered
17 Posts
I think they would fit but haven't been officially homologated for use on the up! GTI. On the CoC only the 15" and 17" have been homologated. See image attached.

·
Registered
195 Posts
fit to both axles if you do or the car will do odd things in corners or under breaking
Brother in law was killed by an oncoming car when this exact thing happened,back end stepped out due to no grip in the wet

·
Registered
825 Posts
Many thanks for your reply 911

My thought regarding offset wasn’t particularly due to the wheel fouling on/in the arch etc, but the spokes being ‘deeper’ on the triangles, resulting in fouling the calliper (as very nearly happened on your 15’s).

it would be extremely interesting to hear if the 16” Upsilons clear your callipers. It is a big ask, but if you did get chance it would be very much appreciated and a big help to a few of us 🙂
Managed to get to try an Upsilon on the front of the Gti today. It JUST fitted without a spacer, and there was a *** paper beween the back of the wheel spokes and the outermost part of the caliper... Bearing in mind the car has done 14000 miles , and the front pads will be worn maybe 1/3rd. Then I would expect that it will need a 3-4 mm spacer if using new pads.
Surprised, I would have thought that there'd be more clearance. Would be interesting to see how close a Triangle is in reality too.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Where did you buy these wheels? Will you be putting wheels trims on or just leaving them bare?
Got them off eBay Germany for £20 each, They are Vauxhall 4x100 et39 but you will need to have the centres bored out from 56.6 to 57.1. Got some very centre caps off a mk1 golf on their way to cover studs

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
I like the steely hard-core look but my missus having none of it - it’s her car though so fair enough. Only had it a couple of weeks but it’s getting cold so these went on yesterday - genuine VeeDub Merano 15” rims with GoodYear Ultragrip full M&S tyres - tiny and super skinny so should be unstoppable in the snow and slush. Also (old phart moment ahead) - they’re way comfier than the 17’s and no noticeable loss of grip so far.

Attachments

·
Registered
379 Posts
17’s and no noticeable loss of grip so far
Well, there shouldn't be, really.... Same width (roughly), same contact patch (possibly slightly more so with a more compliant, higher profile tyre), similar compound (probably, unless you buy something exotic).... Meaning grip should be fine.

Surely, the main reason for a 17" compared with say 15" or 16" (of the same width) is for the benefit of sharper steering feel - which is great on GTi when you are hacking about!

But this is usually at the expense of a harder ride and also is more likely to get kerb scrapes - I'm guessing your wife has this last point figured out, as mine does (and did, on her many previous company cars which were all far flasher than mine, while her male colleagues kerbed alloys with crazy low-profile tyres on weekly basis !)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
‘Same width and contact patch’ is not correct - factory 17’s have 215 tyres whereas the 15’s with VW spec 165 tyres fitted are a full 50mm narrower.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Yes of course - I didn't put that very carefully! I meant given a tyre section, you can vary diameter and % profile and the patch stays similar.. :)

And given a wheel rim width, e.g. my car is only 5J, you can fit a variety of tyre widths up to say 205, but if you can get say 6Js, of course you can go wider tyre to increase contact patch.

21 - 40 of 40 Posts