Up Owners Club banner

41 - 52 of 52 Posts

Registered
There's a guy wanting to sell a GTI with a camera on the FB page. Gents only, tho, but it's Christmas so I thought I'd flag it up anyway. 馃毄馃槉

Registered
With help from here, I've just bought a Tsi. Yes, it was quite hard to find one & I had to compromise as I would have liked cruise. Normally buy slightly newer cars but got the 2yr warranty.

Search was not helped by being in almost permanent lockdown...

It's a hoot. 馃榿
Isn't it trivial to retrofit cruise on a TSI?
I will be fitting it to my recently purchased Move Up! 60 as soon as the custom add-on wiring harness arrives. I have already purchased the new stalk switch assembly with cruise and board computer switches. Since the steering wheel has to be removed, I've purchased a leather steering wheel as well.

Registered
Discussion Starter #45
Can anyone tell me the name of the stock TSI wheels. Think they鈥檙e 14 or 15鈥 and a 6 spoke / split spoke design.. are they easy to buy used or are they pricey from VW? I鈥檝e seen a lovely TSI with the spec I want but it has larger wheels - look to be 16鈥.
The car I鈥檝e seen is a 2017, five door, 12k miles, dark interior, phone cradle, camera etc for just over 9k. It鈥檚 a VW approved car so should come with the 2 year warranty, mot cover and assist.
There鈥檚 another car which is a great spec and it鈥檚 a 2019 with around 9/10 k miles. Price is quite high tho at 11k.
Is it worth getting a car with warranty or an older car with no warranty ( non approved ) - how often do these cars require warranty work?
Also I seen a 2018 car with the orange dash info rather than the newer white dash info. I assumed all 2016 - cars had white dash pixels?

Registered
Can't tell you their name, but they're 15". I have them as winter wheels for my Gti. They came from my Mrs' Tsi when I bought some Upsilon#s for hers.
I'd always go for the warranty, although my only warranty work over 5 Up's has been a clutch and a pair of rear shockers (both on the same car).
Saw an 18 car with the orange pixel dash when we bought my Mrs' Tsi new in March 2018, so they were available then.
See pic below of the wife's Tsi. These wheels are now on my Gti as winter rims. Fronts have a 1.6mm sheet metal spacer.

Attachments

Registered
Can't tell you their name, but they're 15". I have them as winter wheels for my Gti. They came from my Mrs' Tsi when I bought some Upsilon#s for hers.
I'd always go for the warranty, although my only warranty work over 5 Up's has been a clutch and a pair of rear shockers (both on the same car).
Saw an 18 car with the orange pixel dash when we bought my Mrs' Tsi new in March 2018, so they were available then.
I may be getting confused..... Did you say you have 15鈥 wheels on a GTI ?
I鈥檓 going to replace the 17 inch Oswolds on my GTI with something from the 16鈥 range. I wondered if this is possible then read your post .
cheers 馃憤馃憤

Registered
Yes I have those very 15" wheels on my Gti. It all depends on the offset on the wheels you're considering fitting, (and the internal shape / casting webs of the wheels.
When I tried the stock Tsi wheels, they ACTUALLY fitted, no problem on the rear, but on the front they only just fitted, and I mean they cleared the calipers by only about 5 thou. when fully tightened up.
To make sure they'd never touch, I made up some 4 x 100mm pcd spacers out of 1.6mm sheet aluminium and lightly bonded them to the rear of the front wheels, and they obviously clear by miles now. If I need to swap back tyres to front, I will just pull the spacers off and re-bond them to the other pair, I only bonded them with spray glue to make them easier to fit.
Beware, some 16" don't fit, in fact the pukka VW Upsilon's fitted to my Mrs' Tsi don't fit the front of a Gti because of the inside shape of the wheel, they would need a similar spacer to the ones I made above.
See pic below of my Gti with standard Tsi 15" wheels & tyres fitted.
There are plenty of aftermarket 15" wheels that will fit, search the Forum for types.

Attachments

Registered
Discussion Starter #49
@ 911ts3 - yep, they鈥檙e the wheels. I like the look of them and if they get curbed will be inexpensive to refurb. Any ideas what they鈥檙e called? Did the ride improve a lot on ur GTI moving from the 17鈥 wheel to 15鈥?
I鈥檓 having a hard time convincing the Mrs to replace her aygo with an Up lol. I鈥檓 assuming the interior quality is a few levels up from an aygo, ride comfort as good and overall better built and quieter on motorways / or at least that鈥檚 what I鈥檓 teller her lol.

After doing a bit of research I realised that aygo (2015) is around 140kg lighter than an Up but also around 20/30bhp down and 50lbs / ft torque (TSI)

Registered
Sorry, can't find what they're called. The ride is far better because of the the higher profile tyres with the 15". With the tyre pressures set at a sensible 30/30 or 30/28, even better.
There's lots of them on Ebay now, both in the UK and Germany, but they're all near enough 拢100 each with a tyre. Search VW UP alloy wheels.
The wife had 2 Aygo's (first series), before changing to a High Up in 2014. We looked at the new Aygo first, which put us off because of the poor quality.
The Up is far better quality, way better built, and because of the hiigh gearing, very quiet on motorways, particularly the TSi.
My Mrs wouldn't go back to an Aygo......

Registered
Yes they are 15 inches.

with Michelin Pilot Sport 3 195/50R15. This is how it should be out of the factory line.
Perfect grip, excellent riding comfort.

Registered
I went through a pothole on the Devil Beeftub last night at speed and it sounded and felt like the front wheel was going to come through the Bonnet :(

41 - 52 of 52 Posts