Up Owners Club banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi newboy here .
looking to buy the High up model from 2016 , however fairly high mileage with checkered service history leaves me a little wary . it should have had around 8 services according to VW documents i read online - at 67K - but has only had 3/4 according to log book . The dealer is offering discounts ( free services + MOT for 3 years ) but the price is still over 7K , seems a little high and not much in the way of warranty ( 2 months ). Ive asked for full service history via volkswagen . Apparently cambelt has been changed but not sure about water pump / brake bleed . MOTs are all fine ... should i be concerned about the servicing gaps ?

your knowledge would be very much appreciated

ta very much

·
Registered
43 Posts
Yes, I’d be concerned, as will any potential buyer when you sell it on. Any car up to 5 or 6 years old should have an impeccable history, especially given the silly high prices used cars are at the moment.
It’s not easy, but be prepared to travel and find another car is my advice.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Price wise, personally, I don’t think it is too high. The free servicing and MoT for 3 years is probably worth £600 easily. Ok mileage is little high but not excessive.
Have you driven it, what does it feel like, does it drive in a straight line when you loosen grip of steering wheel (only do when safe), does it stop in a straight line, no pulling to one side, have you thought of getting it professionally checked. Is it a VW dealer selling it (or Skoda, or Seat). Do all electrics work, if you are super critical you could be looking for a long time, on the other hand it’s good not to rush in.
You do know that modern day servicing records are usually logged on line, but log entries can only be added by main dealer, so the vehicle may have had servicing done at non VW garage.
Is this the first you looked at? Have you considered Skoda CitiGo or Seat Mii? All VW group cars, slightly different specs but main components same as UP, can be a bit lower priced for same condition.
Second hand prices are inflated at the moment due to shortage of new cars, that’s all manufacturers basically. I just sold two Toyota hybrids, one I bought 7 years old for £6500, sold at nearly 12 years old for £5800. Only lost £700 in nearly 5 years, amazing. I got a good deal on my Prius which when I bought it 3.5 years earlier was a £20.5k car. I took advantage of todays market, I reasoned the bubble could burst anytime and 2nd hand prices fall. Bought two Skoda CitiGos, 2015 at £7k, and late 2013 at £5k. For sure those prices are over inflated at the moment and when the bubble bursts will drop somewhat.
Choice is yours when you buy obviously, but the market at any point in time dictates the price.
As always, proceed with caution, but be realistic.
Oh, and I was prepared to travel for the CitiGo’s, 320 mile return for one, 170 return for the other.

·
Registered
258 Posts
You need to cast your net wide to check the market prices, if you are going to keep it for a good while I wouldn't worry too much about the services as long as its in good nick, you could always get an AA inspection done, if its short term then it needs service history as that will put off potential buyers, prices are stupid at mo, I paid over £4k for a nicely specd 2012 Citigo greeen , on the other hand I sold our 2001 Micra with a lot of rust for 700 quid!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Price wise, personally, I don’t think it is too high. The free servicing and MoT for 3 years is probably worth £600 easily. Ok mileage is little high but not excessive.
Have you driven it, what does it feel like, does it drive in a straight line when you loosen grip of steering wheel (only do when safe), does it stop in a straight line, no pulling to one side, have you thought of getting it professionally checked. Is it a VW dealer selling it (or Skoda, or Seat). Do all electrics work, if you are super critical you could be looking for a long time, on the other hand it’s good not to rush in.
thanks for the reply lots of good info here ! I havent driven it as yet will do this weekend , and am pushing the dealer for online service history . Its getting some work done on the body , a few bits of damage, they dropped £500 and are repairing so seems good will . I have looked at Citygo and Mii too - they are my back up plan , love the mango model , definetely would go with one of those 3 . i guess being in scotland there is also a more limited supply so the price is higher still . So far the only car I have test driven was a micra 2010 but it was heavy , steering was awful i walked away . I have been also driving my mothers AYGO which is is great at 7000 miles but feels a little plastic and steers badly with more than two people . Im very keen on the UP high just looking for others input and appreciate the advice !!!!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You need to cast your net wide to check the market prices, if you are going to keep it for a good while I wouldn't worry too much about the services as long as its in good nick, you could always get an AA inspection done, if its short term then it needs service history as that will put off potential buyers, prices are stupid at mo, I paid over £4k for a nicely specd 2012 Citigo greeen , on the other hand I sold our 2001 Micra with a lot of rust for 700 quid!
yes I plan to keep a good few years . so i like the VW badge of quality . super eco fuel use and low road tax ! I did try a micra 2010 but it felt awful 50K for £3K heavy steering and clunking about like a austin allegro . im sure most micras are better than that!!!

Im set on the purchase now thanks for the tips !

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Im more paranoid than critical , Ive never spent more than £1800 on a car lol . I was in a car club for last 10 years ( £6 a month ) the dealer is VW dealer yes and I have spoken to them today - brakes have been bled , new cambelt fitted , body work being retouched apparently , 3 years service + MOT seems pretty reasonable . He's trying to get the service history from VW . I will check the drive and the electrics this weekend and update the thread :) hopefully its all good ....

cheers

Have you driven it, what does it feel like, does it drive in a straight line when you loosen grip of steering wheel (only do when safe), does it stop in a straight line, no pulling to one side, have you thought of getting it professionally checked. Is it a VW dealer selling it (or Skoda, or Seat). Do all electrics work, if you are super critical you could be looking for a long

·
Registered
43 Posts
Personally if you decide to go with this one I’d suggest running a ‘car vertical’ or similar check on it, irrespective of the dealer probably having run the usual HPI check.
Car vertical and some others draw data from far more sources than hpi, including Salvage auctions and insurance assessors photos, which should show up if the car has a hidden ‘unrecorded’ history.
There’s 1000’s of cars that slip through the hpi net every year, so worth the £10 check imho.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Oh, I forgot. I was involved in a totally non fault accident in my 18m old BMW M car a couple of years ago. £17000’s worth of damage - basically the whole side of the car was replaced, including being put on a jig to pull it straight. It really should have been written off but wasn’t, so comes up clean on an hpi check, but details, including pics, show up on car vertical. I’ve no affiliation with them btw. I sold the car on to a dealer about 3 weeks after getting it back from repair, as despite being done by BMW, the repairs were to a poor standard.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Personally if you decide to go with this one I’d suggest running a ‘car vertical’ or similar check on it, irrespective of the dealer probably having run the usual HPI check.
Car vertical and some others draw data from far more sources than hpi, including Salvage auctions and insurance assessors photos, which should show up if the car has a hidden ‘unrecorded’ history.
There’s 1000’s of cars that slip through the hpi net every year, so worth the £10 check imho.
What do you mean by running a car "vertical"?

·
Registered
709 Posts
If you go to the site "Highpeakautos" he has a link to log on to "Carvertical" and get 10% off.

Also if you know the cars reg you can go to "Heycar Value my car" and see what the car is worth. They use CAP HPI for the values and its free.

If the car has been serviced at a VW main dealer the online service record should be just a quick click on the dealers computer. Also VW independents have access to the VW "VAG COM" computer.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Make sure the services + MOT are included whatever method you're paying for it (cash/finance), sometimes they don't mention that until later on if you decide to pay cash. Make them give you a full service + repair history print out if it's been dealer looked after. (Don't just rely on their word for it). It can't hurt to ask them to fix anything you're not happy about as well (brakes/tyre condition etc - I managed to get a full new set of tyres out of the dealer.) as not everything will be covereed by the warranty.

If they won't budge much on the 7k+ price for a car pushing 70k I'd make them work for it with the high used prices atm. I was back having a rattly heatshield reattached after 3 months and they wouldn't cover it under warranty.

Having said all that, I do like my High Up!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Oh, I forgot. I was involved in a totally non fault accident in my 18m old BMW M car a couple of years ago. £17000’s worth of damage - basically the whole side of the car was replaced, including being put on a jig to pull it straight. It really should have been written off but wasn’t, so comes up clean on an hpi check, but details, including pics, show up on car vertical. I’ve no affiliation with them btw. I sold the car on to a dealer about 3 weeks after getting it back from repair, as despite being done by BMW, the repairs were to a poor standard.
jesus !

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Make sure the services + MOT are included whatever method you're paying for it (cash/finance), sometimes they don't mention that until later on if you decide to pay cash. Make them give you a full service + repair history print out if it's been dealer looked after. (Don't just rely on their word for it). It can't hurt to ask them to fix anything you're not happy about as well (brakes/tyre condition etc - I managed to get a full new set of tyres out of the dealer.) as not everything will be covereed by the warranty.

If they won't budge much on the 7k+ price for a car pushing 70k I'd make them work for it with the high used prices atm. I was back having a rattly heatshield reattached after 3 months and they wouldn't cover it under warranty.

Having said all that, I do like my High Up!
agree totally im pushing them :) thanks

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
finally picked it up drives great , such a sweet car but feels it should be slightly more powerful particulary on motorway - high up 2016 75bhp + 16" alloys in honey metallic yellow . I assume the economic fuel use is the reason . A couple of light dents + kerbed alloys which i plan to get fixed but all in all just what i was looking for !

·
Registered
63 Posts
I think it depends on what you mean by "more powerful". I did a run from Leicester to Bristol and back yesterday in mine with a pile of stuff to move my son and did not feel it was lacking. At +/- 70 it runs well and if you really need some umph, 5th to 4th gets you pretty good acceleration. Clearly it is not the same as the TSI but that is because of the totally different engine.
Over the entire trip of motorway, dual carriageway and fast A roads it turned in just over 56mpg.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
yes i noticed that driving on the motorway i needed to kick down a gear , it was a windy day too - seems i got 50 mpg . still solid car love it !

1 - 20 of 27 Posts