Up Owners Club banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Read Only
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sad looking white 3 door Up! seen in the VW showroom here in Kobe.
Haven't seen one on the road yet.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Not mine, but why sad looking? It's supposed to be the "smiling car" :p

·
Read Only
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sad looking because it looked pushed to one side against the wall in the showroom and it's never going to be popular buy here because of the amazing small locally produced cars that people tend to buy.

I always think the Up! looks like my daughter sticking her gum shield out when playing hockey, never a smiling car.

·
Super Moderator
1,495 Posts
The small car market in Japan is a strange one.

If someone wants a small car, they will buy a 'Kei' car, which attracts tax relief and parking privileges in City centres. There are strict criteria as to what designates a Kei car, such as length/width restrictions, and engine size (less than 660cc) and the up! conforms to none of these, so won't be attractive to the Japanese marketplace.

Any vehicle on the streets in Japan with a yellow numberplate is a Kei car, the plate is to help to authorities identify it and permit it in certain areas for parking.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kei_car

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Hi shakotan,

thanks for the info about Kei cars! Didn't know this.

I know about the Japanese motorbike driving licences ...
I own a Kawasaki Estrella. Kawa tried to sell them in the 1990s in Germany - but it was a great flop because "no one" in Germany wanted to buy a 17 BHP 250 cc motorbike. Now about 1500 Estrellas are left in whole Europe.
In Japan the Estrella is still a great success and there are about 50.000 or more in Japan.The Estrella looks like old German NSU or British BSA motorbikes from the 1950s ...

·
Registered
467 Posts
for me Up is the always smiling and happy, but there is one exception - the Voomeran mod is not happy at all

1 - 8 of 8 Posts