Up Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi is anyone having problems getting a quote? I rang tesco my current insurer and they'd never heard of the up, so he took the cars details and said he would speak to the underwriters and get back to me!!!

best quote i've had is £475

worst £1,014

I'm 43 1 yr no claims and no points!!!!!

·
Registered
655 Posts
I've had no prob with the car showing on sites for online quotes, but clearly its a new car so when you call they sound clueless as to what it is! Im 25 with 2yrs no claims and best i've had is £800 and worst £2000!! It is so much cheaper to insure a car in Devon from when I am from than here in london...for obvious yet annoying reasons!!!

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yikes! I've just had a call back from tesco they have changed the insurance to the up! for free starting tomorrow then i'll get my renewal mid april and by then i'll have 2 years no claims happy days

·
Registered
655 Posts
Yikes indeed but one of the joys of being a 'young' male!

·
Registered
124 Posts
Best quote i've had as a 24yr old new driver is £1440 from LV - which seems pretty fair to me!

The average is £2500-£3500 and the worst is £6000!

Anyone know of insurance companies that are accommodating for new or youngish male drivers?

·
Registered
655 Posts
Well I shall probably go with Endsleigh BUT as you are 24 I seriously recommend you look into 'Black box' insurance as it will save you loads!! I seem to recall Co-op do it and quotes are SO good....defo check it out before you commit. You may get it under the £1000 mark. I don't qualify as i am now 25
Edited by: MarkyMark

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Lovejimbo said:
Best quote i've had as a 24yr old new driver is £1440 from LV - which seems pretty fair to me!

The average is £2500-£3500 and the worst is £6000!

Anyone know of insurance companies that are accommodating for new or youngish male drivers?
OMG and ive been moaning sorry guys!!!!!

·
Registered
655 Posts
Well you clearly live in a remote area!!!!! Mine was going to be £370 in Devon but seeing as I am in the big smoke its a lot more!

·
Registered
124 Posts
Ah cool, I was looking into black box insurance a little while back but go a bit scared off by the mileage limits some companies impose, and the odd curfews. I know a lot don't formally have curfews, but if they see you driving late or early then they add that to your score when they work out whether to raise or lower your premium...

What I've got against me on black box insurance I think is the high daily mileage, my profession is in the film industry (a lot of insurers won't touch me because of that), late night/early morning commutes and the car won't be parked at my registered home address as I officially live with my parents, but haven't actually lived there for a good 5 years :/...

I'll do some more black box research I think! Last time I tried co-op online quote it said it couldn't quote the Up... I might give them a ring :)

·
Registered
228 Posts
£265 from Admiral - 30yr old on provisional licence with no no-claims and a 40yr old with 7yrs no-claims as second driver.

Low rates in Aberdeen.

·
Registered
553 Posts
£237.00 after cash back with Quidco compare!

Thats for me & wife with her as main driver! but we are both somewhat over 21!!!

·
Premium Member
1,179 Posts
im 26 female with a job as vet nurse, and unfortunatly 3 points too (oops) and ive been quoted £300ish upwards, which is actually cheaper than my 12 year old polo insurance, so i recon its dependant on the insurer and where you live

·
Registered
655 Posts
The area you live makes a MASSIVE difference. Age is obviously a big factor but it is just something we have to grin and bare I guess!

·
Registered
160 Posts
For my 17 year old daughter as main driver (me and hubby as named) I have been quoted £2,500 yet for me as main driver and daughter and hubby as named, two quotes came in at £1,300 and the rest were from £2,500 upto £16K!!!

For just me and hubby its £220.......

·
Registered
553 Posts
GaveUp said:
For my 17 year old daughter as main driver (me and hubby as named) I have been quoted £2,500 yet for me as main driver and daughter and hubby as named, two quotes came in at £1,300 and the rest were from £2,500 upto £16K!!!

For just me and hubby its £220.......
Who's that with?

·
Registered
160 Posts
I went on moneysupermarket.
Me and hubbywas with Axa, Alliance or Quotemehappy
Me as main and was either Elephant or Diamond
Daughter as main was a range of companies, Halifax, Insure, Lloyds, Barclays, Post Office etc - lots were between 2500 and 2600. I was quite supprised!!

·
Registered
294 Posts
Just after I had passed my test I used the likes of Admiral & Elephant and went through their 10 month bonus accelerator scheme and they always seemed like the cheapest too.

To get the quote down some more I added Mam / Dad on as a second driver.

Make sure you put a realistic annual mileage figure down too. Average is 12k miles per year but I only do 8k and that reduces the premium a bit too.

1 - 20 of 69 Posts