Up Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
309 Posts
To me therefore the up is also number one, they're almost the same thing! Don't like the tailgate on the citigo, looks boringx obviously the up's tailgate was far too unconservative for them (or more expensive to make?)

·
Registered
438 Posts
The Skoda was also number 1 in the DT. It did say the Up under 'other choices'. I took this to mean Up is best but there are cheaper variants. Besides it was the Up that was world car of the year not the Citigo.

·
Registered
97 Posts
They are exactly the same cars (Seat Mii, Skoda Citigo, Volkswagen up!) built on the same production line but with slight cosmetic differences. Basically if the Skoda Citigo (which I have) won then so did the Volkswagen up! and the Seat Mii. How can one be better and the other when they are all clones of the other? One for all and all for one, they are all VAG triplets but with slightly different slants, front/rear styling and options. I could have chosen any one of the three but I preferred the look of the Skoda Citigo Elegance 75PS Greentech 5-door so just happened to go with that. I had to gulp hard to swallow the Skoda name and close my eyes at the same time but I have suffered no ill effects since.
Many years (decades!) ago someone in St Tropez told me that his horrid Zastava was very chic. I nearly choked until I realised that it was indeed very, very exclusive and perhaps unique in the South of France.

·
Registered
309 Posts
I must admit, when I initially started thinking about getting an up, I read the back pages of top gear magazine to see what they said about the mii and citigo. They said the mii had a cheap interior, not something they said about the up or citigo. on that basis I totally discounted the mii and didn't even go to look at one. Is it true, does it have cheaper looking dash board and panels etc?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Personally, one of the main reasons I chose the Mii is that I love its interior so much.

The dashboard is matte white, and most of the other surfaces are light grey. I much prefer this to the black in most other cars, or the glossy coloured dashboards of the higher-end Ups.

Here's the inside of my Mii.

My second favourite interior is the "ivory" interior for the Citigo, where everything is beige. It goes well with the lime green exterior you can get on the Škoda.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I assume the Citigo is their choice based on value but it includes the other two.

They all have that spare but stylish interior based on form follows function that the Germans do so well.

So many cars look anonymous and boring, or the designer throws away practicality in pursuit of style. My old Ka looked nice inside, but the glove box was useless, and interior storage in general was poor.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Andy T9 said:
I must admit, when I initially started thinking about getting an up, I read the back pages of top gear magazine to see what they said about the mii and citigo. They said the mii had a cheap interior, not something they said about the up or citigo. on that basis I totally discounted the mii and didn't even go to look at one. Is it true, does it have cheaper looking dash board and panels etc?
Yes. I test drove the base level (S) Mii and the dashboard only had a speedo. No rev counter and no analogue fuel gauge. It did look pretty basic.

It must be this they were referring to, the rest of the dash was the same as far as I can remember.

·
Registered
448 Posts
FunkTrooper said:
Personally, one of the main reasons I chose the Mii is that I love its interior so much.

Here's the inside of my Mii.

Very nice!I really like the detail of the White dash extending to the steering wheel and centre consul, and facia air vents.

I wonder why V W Up opted to have a flat bottomed steering wheel,and not offset the M&M as in your Mii ?

Am I too cynical, or is it just to give us all a choice?

Thankfully we all have different preferences

Go well.

·
Registered
851 Posts
Good question! Is there a practical reason for the flat bottom of an up steering wheel - or is it a styling thing?

·
Registered
587 Posts
Skoda and SEAT use steering wheels fitted to the Fabia and Ibiza. VW has used a bespoke steering wheel that is used only in the up! so far. I wonder if the FL Polo will use it next year though?

Skoda Citigo is the best value especially after a discount and spec for spec beats the up! although the Mii Toca is also good value, just the interior is not to everyone'staste and most hacks think theCitigo is the best looking even if it has the sharpest depreciation of the three by a few percent.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Beetle is also equipped with same steering wheel as Up. It even have different plastic color for the black glossy Up version.

·
Registered
95 Posts
"The Citigo is one of a trio of near identical cars, The VW Up! and Seat Mii being the others. We've chosen the Skoda not for being better than the others, but for providing the best value."

So #1 is for all 3 cars, with the Citigo being the best value.

The bit I liked best was at the end. "...they (the owners) might never upgrade once they've discovered just how good a car the Citigo is."

It's all a matter of choice in the end. I drove the Skoda and was very impressed, but IMO the interior wasn't up to the quality of the VW and was happy to pay a small premium. I particularly liked the seats in the Up white and black, and chose the up white for it's bright interior. This is the great thing about having 3 near identical cars with further choice in each range; there's even more variety to suit a wide range of tastes. You can't really go wrong with any of them; unless you get a duff one with a dodgy clutch or gearbox

·
Registered
251 Posts

VW offer a nearly identical interior to that one ^ now. I have ordered it on my Up!, due to be delivered in a couple of weeks. It's the 'dark denim' option.

I was originally going to go for a Mii (I really don't like the Citigo's 'face'), but the price difference is so small, I thought I would treat myself to the 'real deal'. Any savings I made on purchase would be negated when the time comes to sell on anyway, at least here in France, where everyone wants the Up!

Edited by: UpMan

·
Registered
176 Posts
It's not difficult to understand why the Citigo triumphed in the Times' recent review.

Before deciding to opt for the UP! I was constantly torn between the UP! and the Citigo, since they performed more or less identically upon test drive.

My decision to opt for the Up!, over the Citigo, was based upon the higher level of interior finish afforded to the Up! and a higher re-sale value at the end of the PCP agreement.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Well I also toyed between the Up and CitiGo as both spec's were the same,so went for the CitiGo as you get 0% finance plus 3 years free servicing and a good discount that's a no brainer .

Choosing the Up would of cost me an extra £3k for the sake of a badge.

·
Registered
95 Posts
That's why the Citigo won over the up. Can't see how you get to £3K though. I got a £950 discount on the up, I didn't see bigger discounts on the Citigo, though haven't looked since I bought my up. Servicing would be £250 saving (using the VW finance), but high street loans are only 5.1% so cheaper to go that route if finance needed. I reckon that means about £1K saving overall. Still worthwhile, but you have to love the car and that's why most people will choose the Citigo, Mii or up! based on personal reference and not worry about the smallish cost differential.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Jalna said:
That's why the Citigo won over the up. Can't see how you get to £3K though. I got a £950 discount on the up, I didn't see bigger discounts on the Citigo, though haven't looked since I bought my up. Servicing would be £250 saving (using the VW finance), but high street loans are only 5.1% so cheaper to go that route if finance needed. I reckon that means about £1K saving overall. Still worthwhile, but you have to love the car and that's why most people will choose the Citigo, Mii or up! based on personal reference and not worry about the smallish cost differential.

The time you had interest and various other charges and fee's it did work out at just over 3k...

My CitiGo GreenTec 3dr Elegance in silver came to just under 10k

<h1 ="sifr-ignore"="" style="margin-right: 0px; margin-bottom: 10px; margin-left: 0px; padding: 0px 0px 0px 35px; border: 0px; font-family: vw-line-ot-black, Arial, sans-serif; font-size: 22px; font-weight: normal; outline: 0px; vertical-align: line; line-height: 28px; color: rgb0, 177, 235; -: https://www.volkswagen.co.uk/vw-finance/sew-vw-logo.png; visibility: !imant; -: 0% 0%; -repeat: no-repeat no-repeat;">The Finance Calculator</h1><div ="summary="" whitebg"="" style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px; border: none; font-family: vw-line-ot-book, Arial, sans-serif; outline: 0px; vertical-align: line; color: rgb51, 51, 51; border-top-left-radius: 3px; border-top-right-radius: 3px; border-bottom-right-radius: 3px; border-bottom-left-radius: 3px; : transparent; : left; width: 323px; : relative; line-height: 15.390625px;"><ul style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px; border: 0px; font-style: inherit; outline: 0px; vertical-align: line; list-style: none;"><li ="choose-car="" group"="" style="margin: 0px; zoom: 1; height: auto; border: 0px; font-style: inherit; outline: 0px; vertical-align: line; : relative; clear: both; -webkit--shadow: rgb221, 221, 221 0px 1px 1px; -shadow: none; padding: 8px 0px !imant;">
<h2 ="sifr-ignore"="" -model="up-nf" style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px 35px 0px 0px; font-family: vw-line-ot-black, Arial, sans-serif; font-size: 1.3em; line-height: 1.3em; border: 0px; font-style: inherit; font-weight: normal; outline: 0px; vertical-align: line; color: rgb51, 67, 76; visibility: !imant;">up! </h2><li ="finance-details"="" style="margin: 0px; padding: 8px 0px; : relative; clear: both; height: auto; border: 0px; font-style: inherit; outline: 0px; vertical-align: line;"><h3 ="sifr-ignore"="" style="margin: 0px 0px 10px; padding: 0px; clear: both; font-size: 1.24em; line-height: 1.3em; border: 0px; font-family: vw-line-ot-black, Arial, sans-serif; font-style: inherit; font-weight: normal; outline: 0px; vertical-align: line; : relative; visibility: !imant;">Solutions Representative Example</h3><t style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px; border: 0px; font-size: 12px; font-style: inherit; outline: 0px; vertical-align: line;"></t><table cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" border="0" ="tblfinance"="" style="margin: 8px 15px; padding: 0px; border-collapse: collapse; border: 0px; font-size: 11px; font-style: inherit; outline: 0px; vertical-align: line; border-spacing: 0px; color: rgb51, 51, 51; : relative; width: 324px; : rgb224, 228, 227; left: -16px; visibility: ;"><t><tr =""="" style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px; border: 0px; font-style: inherit; outline: 0px; vertical-align: line;"><td style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px 5px 0px 16px; border-style: solid; border-color: rgb218, 223, 221; font-style: inherit; outline: 0px; vertical-align: line; line-height: 1.6em;">Duration:</td><td style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px 5px 0px 16px; border-style: solid; border-color: rgb218, 223, 221; font-style: inherit; outline: 0px; vertical-align: line; line-height: 1.6em;">42 months</td></tr><tr ="even"="" style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px; border: 0px; font-style: inherit; outline: 0px; vertical-align: line; : rgb234, 238, 237 !imant;"><td style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px 5px 0px 16px; border-style: solid; border-color: rgb218, 223, 221; font-style: inherit; outline: 0px; vertical-align: line; line-height: 1.6em;">Average miles per year:</td><td style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px 5px 0px 16px; border-style: solid; border-color: rgb218, 223, 221; font-style: inherit; outline: 0px; vertical-align: line; line-height: 1.6em;">10,000</td></tr><tr =""="" style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px; border: 0px; font-style: inherit; outline: 0px; vertical-align: line;"><td style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px 5px 0px 16px; border-style: solid; border-color: rgb218, 223, 221; font-style: inherit; outline: 0px; vertical-align: line; line-height: 1.6em;">Deposit:</td><td style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px 5px 0px 16px; border-style: solid; border-color: rgb218, 223, 221; font-style: inherit; outline: 0px; vertical-align: line; line-height: 1.6em;">£2,500.00</td></tr><tr ="even"="" style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px; border: 0px; font-style: inherit; outline: 0px; vertical-align: line; : rgb234, 238, 237 !imant;"><td style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px 5px 0px 16px; border-style: solid; border-color: rgb218, 223, 221; font-style: inherit; outline: 0px; vertical-align: line; line-height: 1.6em;">41 monthly payments of:</td><td style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px 5px 0px 16px; border-style: solid; border-color: rgb218, 223, 221; font-style: inherit; outline: 0px; vertical-align: line; line-height: 1.6em;">£144.02</td></tr><tr =""="" style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px; border: 0px; font-style: inherit; outline: 0px; vertical-align: line;"><td style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px 5px 0px 16px; border-style: solid; border-color: rgb218, 223, 221; font-style: inherit; outline: 0px; vertical-align: line; line-height: 1.6em;">Retailer cash price:</td><td style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px 5px 0px 16px; border-style: solid; border-color: rgb218, 223, 221; font-style: inherit; outline: 0px; vertical-align: line; line-height: 1.6em;">£11,644.00</td></tr><tr ="even"="" style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px; border: 0px; font-style: inherit; outline: 0px; vertical-align: line; : rgb234, 238, 237 !imant;"><td style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px 5px 0px 16px; border-style: solid; border-color: rgb218, 223, 221; font-style: inherit; outline: 0px; vertical-align: line; line-height: 1.6em;">Acceptance fee:*</td><td style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px 5px 0px 16px; border-style: solid; border-color: rgb218, 223, 221; font-style: inherit; outline: 0px; vertical-align: line; line-height: 1.6em;">£125.00</td></tr><tr =""="" style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px; border: 0px; font-style: inherit; outline: 0px; vertical-align: line;"><td style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px 5px 0px 16px; border-style: solid; border-color: rgb218, 223, 221; font-style: inherit; outline: 0px; vertical-align: line; line-height: 1.6em;">Optional final payment:</td><td style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px 5px 0px 16px; border-style: solid; border-color: rgb218, 223, 221; font-style: inherit; outline: 0px; vertical-align: line; line-height: 1.6em;">£4,589.49</td></tr><tr ="even"="" style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px; border: 0px; font-style: inherit; outline: 0px; vertical-align: line; : rgb234, 238, 237 !imant;"><td style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px 5px 0px 16px; border-style: solid; border-color: rgb218, 223, 221; font-style: inherit; outline: 0px; vertical-align: line; line-height: 1.6em;">Option to purchase fee: **</td><td style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px 5px 0px 16px; border-style: solid; border-color: rgb218, 223, 221; font-style: inherit; outline: 0px; vertical-align: line; line-height: 1.6em;">£60.00</td></tr><tr =""="" style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px; border: 0px; font-style: inherit; outline: 0px; vertical-align: line;"><td style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px 5px 0px 16px; border-style: solid; border-color: rgb218, 223, 221; font-style: inherit; outline: 0px; vertical-align: line; line-height: 1.6em;">Total amount payable:</td><td style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px 5px 0px 16px; border-style: solid; border-color: rgb218, 223, 221; font-style: inherit; outline: 0px; vertical-align: line; line-height: 1.6em;">£13,054.31</td></tr><tr ="even"="" style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px; border: 0px; font-style: inherit; outline: 0px; vertical-align: line; : rgb234, 238, 237 !imant;"><td style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px 5px 0px 16px; border-style: solid; border-color: rgb218, 223, 221; font-style: inherit; outline: 0px; vertical-align: line; line-height: 1.6em;">Total amount of credit:</td><td style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px 5px 0px 16px; border-style: solid; border-color: rgb218, 223, 221; font-style: inherit; outline: 0px; vertical-align: line; line-height: 1.6em;">£9,144.00</td></tr><tr =""="" style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px; border: 0px; font-style: inherit; outline: 0px; vertical-align: line;"><td style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px 5px 0px 16px; border-style: solid; border-color: rgb218, 223, 221; font-style: inherit; outline: 0px; vertical-align: line; line-height: 1.6em;">Excess mileage (per mile): ***</td><td style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px 5px 0px 16px; border-style: solid; border-color: rgb218, 223, 221; font-style: inherit; outline: 0px; vertical-align: line; line-height: 1.6em;">3.6p</td></tr><tr ="even"="" style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px; border: 0px; font-style: inherit; outline: 0px; vertical-align: line; : rgb234, 238, 237 !imant;"><td style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px 5px 0px 16px; border-style: solid; border-color: rgb218, 223, 221; font-style: inherit; outline: 0px; vertical-align: line; line-height: 1.6em;">Representative APR:</td><td style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px 5px 0px 16px; border-style: solid; border-color: rgb218, 223, 221; font-style: inherit; outline: 0px; vertical-align: line; line-height: 1.6em;">5.9% APR</td></tr><tr =""="" style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px; border: 0px; font-style: inherit; outline: 0px; vertical-align: line;"><td style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px 5px 0px 16px; border-style: solid; border-color: rgb218, 223, 221; font-style: inherit; outline: 0px; vertical-align: line; line-height: 1.6em;">Rate of interest:</td><td style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px 5px 0px 16px; border-style: solid; border-color: rgb218, 223, 221; font-style: inherit; outline: 0px; vertical-align: line; line-height: 1.6em;">5.13% fixed</td></tr></t></table>[/list]

Edited by: daizythebulldog

·
Registered
309 Posts
daizythebulldog said:
Well I also toyed between the Up and CitiGo as both spec's were the same,so went for the CitiGo as you get 0% finance plus 3 years free servicing and a good discount that's a no brainer .

Choosing the  Up would of cost me an extra £3k for the sake of a badge.
You can't say the only difference is a badge, when the looks, body panels, tailgate, interior, is different (and there will be cost cutting involved)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Why would you say cost cutting same production line made by the same workforce apart from the front end and the glass tailgate(maybe vw were cost cutting) they are the same car maybe just maybe your a badge snob.
Edited by: daizythebulldog

1 - 20 of 38 Posts