Up Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
957 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking at the info for tonight's Top Gear it mentions small engined cars so the UP may be featured on tonight's show........... might be worth a look BBC2 @ 8;00pm

·
Registered
851 Posts
Yep, up, Fiesta and Dacia Sandero on the Crimean peninsula. I'll be keen to see what aspects Clarkson slags off. After all, none of them are muscle cars so they must be pants.

·
Registered
45 Posts
"The UP is 'THE' car to buy"

·
Registered
540 Posts
Seems like they were all fond of the Fiesta 125BHP 1 Ltr Eco boost, but to be fair that's a cracking engine and a cracking car.

But they all really liked the UP, which was to be expected considering the review they gave it when it came out.

Also good to know that it can get through a radiation zone should it be driven in anything higher than 2nd gear for an extended period of time

·
Super Moderator
3,147 Posts
Loved the bit about no doves being harmed in the end credits!

·
Registered
251 Posts
I agree 100% with their view of the Up! - a bit crap (mostly because it's underpowered), but lovable.

·
Registered
251 Posts
AlanG said:
You just have to find that 3k-4k rpm sweet spot and it will press on nicely.

Yes, I know... Objectively, it's a sweet little engine with enough power for anyone. Subjectively, I am coming from a 420hp Jaguar XKR...

·
Registered
309 Posts
UpMan said:
I agree 100% with their view of the Up! - a bit crap (mostly because it's underpowered), but lovable.

When did they say it was a bit crap? Clarkson likes it, James May gave it a positive review a while back, and the TG magazine scored it highly in their review.

Underpowered compared to what? A 125bhp 17 grand Fiesta? TBH the TG test was a bit flawed comparing it to a Fiesta, which is a bigger/more expensive car, the Polo is the Fiesta's rival.

Dropping down from a 3 litre, I don't find the (75PS) up underpowered at all in everyday driving, it pulls well in spirited driving, IMHO some people just don't know how drive an engine, particularly a multi-valve one.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
UpMan said:
Andy T9 said:
When did they say it was a bit crap?
Clarkson said it no power and it doesn't.
Think about what you are saying. If the Up! has no power it wouldn't move. It is what it is if you want a faster car don't buy an Up! I find it perfect for my needs and rarely have need for more power. You need to learn how to drive it and make the engine work for you. The only time I could do with a bit more power is when I am behind someone doing 50mph on country roads with not a lot of straight roads to overtake. Edited by: Beevee

·
Registered
252 Posts
The Up! was at a mid range performance disadvantage as it was the only non turbo'd car in the test. However, the lack of a turbo helped fuel economy compared to the Fiesta.
£17000 Fiesta v £11000 Up hardly comparable. Dacia no spec to speak of (only a passenger sun visor mirror!!!) high spec one nearly as expensive as Up!

·
Registered
44 Posts
It was not a real road test of any of the cars.It was more like a travel show showing that country.At least it was better than the clowning around that they usually do,except for Hamond zig zagging all over the road.Well they had to do the clown routine at some point. Why would you spend £17K on that Fiesta when you can have the ST for the same price. The Dacia costs £6K for the basic model and you cant argue with that.A new no frills car with a 3 year warranty,or how about the Duster starting at £9K.
Yes the UP is the best all rounder with lots of goodies on it,air con,heated seats etc.

Top Gear used to be great years ago,even better when it was Wheelbase.Yes i am old. Today they are only interested in supercars,and the show is only interested in speed. Wow this car is fast,yes it is fast.How fast can stig drive it round the track. How fast was the has been star in the overpriced car round the track.Fast fast fast. Who wants to see the fast lap,and all the zombies shout yes.They should shout no.That would be better he he.

Edited by: SMART EXAMINER

·
Registered
24 Posts
SMART EXAMINER said:
...Top Gear used to be great years ago,even better when it was Wheelbase.Yes i am old. Today they are only interested in supercars,and the show is only interested in speed. Wow this car is fast,yes it is fast.How fast can stig drive it round the track. How fast was the has been star in the overpriced car round the track.Fast fast fast. Who wants to see the vid,and all the zombies shout yes.They should shout no.That would be better he he.

I agree with that!

I don't watch TG for two reasons:

1. I don't have control of the remote when the TV is on, and

2. If I did, I'd watch something else!

I came to the Up! (High Up! 75ps) from a diesel Smart car, so I notice it can pull away much better.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Unfortunately, or fortunately, I was unable to watch Top Gear as the satellite that covered Southern Europe was turned off last month. Top Gear, is now, just a ludicrous entertainment programme for people of the ´Lad Mag´ generation. The road tests and the ridiculous expeditions they do are just ´Jollies` for a bunch over paid twats. Just my opinion of course

·
Registered
176 Posts
I'm yet to watch this week's episode of Top Gear (I have it saved in the planner), which I'm sure I'll enjoy.

However, I'd like those, who've complained about the UP! lacking in power, to answer the following question.

What would you expect from a 1.0 60/75bhp engine?

The Up! along with its variants, the Citigo and MII, has been marketed as a city car with fuel economy impressive enough to rival that of diesel engined vehicles.

I'm sure others will agree when I say that I'm glad to see a return of the days when you could spend £40.00 at the pumps and receive approximately 400 miles in return.

Moreover, I think that you'll also be hard pressed to find another vehicle manufacturer that offers a city car with the level of build quality, comfort and equipment levels for less than £10,000.

Returning to the point about the supposed lack of power.

I've never experienced a problem accelerating from 50 (in 5th gear) to 70 as I begin my ascent up the Bowes Incline (A1 in Tyne & Wear).

Finally, in the current economic climate, if it's blistering performance you seek, go and waste your money paying a premium for an over-priced hot hatch, in addition to crying at the pumps when you have to refuel it every week.

This misery you'll endure is further compounded by the fact that your chosen insurer is charging an absolute fortune to insure you and then there's the small issue of road tax.

There's an awful lot to consider when deciding to plump for a hot hatch, especially since speed and power comes at a price.

city carcity carEdited by: Miserable Git

·
Super Moderator
3,147 Posts
Well said,My up is perfectly adequate in the power dept.......if I wanted more I'd buy a GT , well, if they eventually release it!

·
Registered
128 Posts
Another positive. My tax disc arrived yesterday, cost £NIL which is a big difference from my Bora at £245

·
Registered
296 Posts
do not particularly like Clarkson - BUT for him to praise our little Up does give the car some credibility with a certain section of the car market who would probably have dismissed it out of hand. They might even let their wife buy one now.

·
Super Moderator
3,147 Posts
indeed ospreywatcher, for what it is designed to do, the up seems to be way ahead of the competition at that price point....its success (and perhaps its shortcomings ) is that some folk expect it to be a people carrier/suv/sports car/exec cruiser etc etc.....I think it is just the epitome of something designed for purpose. VW cater for all the other sectors very well but with the up/mii/citigo...they have scored a bulleseye!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts