Up Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I'm learning to drive this summer and my Dad would like to buy me a car to learn in as he wants to teach me but isn't so keen on me using his big chrysler grand voyager or his ariel atom! Iwould really like a vw and an up! would be great as it has low insurance/tax and I would hopefully be earning enough to manage the finance myself by the end of the contract. But I also quite likle polos and this would definately be the cheaper option as it would be used.

Anyone got any advice?

·
Registered
677 Posts
Hey!

Currently I own a 2011 Polo SE, its a great wee car, easy to drive and very comfortable. Im waiting on my Up arriving, the reason I'm "downgrading" in car is because I dont need the size, the Polo has a huge boot that I never use it, also essentially you get more for your money with an Up! The Polo has very little in the way of "toys" (air con, aux cd player) but I know the "Match" model comes with more (fog lights, iPod cable, tinted windows). But for slightly less money you get the same spec but just a slightly smaller car with the Up!

My person opinion if your just starting off after passing your test, get an Up! much better for parking, cheaper to run and you get more gadgets!

Plus if you get the right options, looks better than a Polo :p

·
Premium Member
1,118 Posts
elbob24 said:
Hi,

I'm learning to drive this summer and my Dad would like to buy me a car to learn in as he wants to teach me but isn't so keen on me using his big chrysler grand voyager or his ariel atom! Iwould really like a vw and an up! would be great as it has low insurance/tax and I would hopefully be earning enough to manage the finance myself by the end of the contract. But I also quite likle polos and this would definately be the cheaper option as it would be used.

Anyone got any advice?
Your dad has an ariel atom?

·
Premium Member
1,118 Posts
I sold my mk4 golf to get the new up
Oh and YOUR DAD HAS AN ARIEL ATOM!

Edited by: gary02tdi

·
294 Posts
Your Dad has an Ariel Atom

As a new driver I think the Up will be more suited to you - its not just the cost of the car, think insurance, fuel and tax costs too.

The up should be easier to drive around town, park and get used to driving in. I think the Up will be more open to customisation too if thats your thing...

Apart from the difference in the two cars, you are also looking at the difference between new and used.

With the Up you'll be getting a new car, with warranty, with a used polo you'll run the risk of needing to spend on repairs.

That's my, slightly biasedopinion anyway lol

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi everyone

Im new here and I actually have the very same choice except for the option between a new polo or new up.... not sure which one I should get, any advise would be helpful and just general opinions. Im 21 years old and its my first car.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Personally, I'd go for the up in this situation IB. It's cheaper to buy and run and (to me) feels more spacious inside. The up also has a much more fun design.

I'm also planning to learn to drive in one, and chose the up over the polo. Welcome to the forum by the way!
Edited by: skyhigh

·
Registered
811 Posts
No contest, the Up is a much superior car. Unless you spend £15000, the Up is faster and more economical. It is also cheaper to insure and MUCH more fun. It is also roomier than a Polo despite being smaller overall as it is so much more well designed.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks Skyhigh.... I learnt to drive on a Fiat 500 with BSM.... I think the UP is also a similar size if Im correct... The Up also seems to have a lot more features then the polo... ie more value for money.... I was taking a look at the High Up! Bluemotion.... Whats your thoughts? But not sure on 3door or 5 door....

Also Anyone own that model here?

·
Registered
113 Posts
Another vote for the UP...

There is alot more room in the UP (apart from boot size), take it from a tall bugger like myself of 6'8''

And as a learner driver (You don't stop learning just because you have a license) the small size of the UP will be a big advantage

And you WILL enjoy driving it more than a polo...

·
Registered
202 Posts
Up!
And your dad has an atom Ariel!!!

·
Registered
957 Posts
Had a Polo for the last 3 years and now have an UP!

I think you would be happier with an UP!

·
Registered
226 Posts
IB-UP said:
I was taking a look at the High Up! Bluemotion.... Whats your thoughts? But not sure on 3door or 5 door....
Unless you do much driving in heavy traffic or a congestion charge zone I don't think the bluemotion will save much as the up is already very economical.

I'd go for the 5 door as it's not much extra but makes the car much more practical. The lack of 'memory' on the front seats could also drive you crazy if you frequently access the back seats!

Hope this helps!

·
Registered
18 Posts
I bought an Up! as my first car.No regrets.

If you plan on doing motorway driving regularly, then maybe the Polo would be better. The Up is very noisy and you feel the wind.

If it's around town, A roads, or just for fun then get the Up!

Don't get the 5 door unless you plan on taking passengers. The 3 door is big enough. Difficult to get out of the back if you're 6ft like me, but the leg room is good.

·
Registered
532 Posts
I've got a 5 door high up with blue motion. The blue motion stuff is a bit of agimmick. The car is fine for motorways as long as you can cope with being bullied by idiots in vauxhalls. The blue motion has no road tax if that is important.

I've tried a polo which is Ok, but they feel rather enclosed. The 500 is Ok too a right little racer, but rather small. (twin air).

I love my high up it's so much fun compared to my big car.

·
Registered
393 Posts
It's tough. I also looked at the Polo, but went for an Up! 5 door Bluemotion. I find the Up! more roomy inside, apart from the boot. In my opinion, the Up! is much better looking, easier to park, cheaper to insure, no road tax. Plus for the same money you would only be able to get the most basic Polo, for High Up! money.

Matt

·
Registered
604 Posts
I just had a polo for a few days while my up was for a service and a new dash, I hated the polo is was a basic model,
no a/c,
cheap fake plastic leather every where,
very little leg room (my left leg was up against the wall of the foot well)
the suspension was very springy
And If I held the steering wheel at 12 o'clock position I could see the reflection of my hands in the plastic cover for the dials (very distracting)

And for all of you up owners who say the up sounds like a diesel I suggest you take a test drive in a polo, I honestly thought the dealers had loaned me a diesel

I could not wait for my up to come back home

·
Registered
393 Posts
LOL. I hear what your saying! I thought the Polo looked a bit cheap and nasty inside also. And what's with the overly fat door trims? NO NEEEEEEEED!!!! I think they just waste space. Shame as it's nice to look at from outside, but it just looks "bulky" compared to the svelte Up!

Matt

·
Registered
3 Posts
<div style="text-align: center;">Firstly sorry for the long post but a lot to reply to
IN FACT I THINK ID LIKE TO START OF BY SAYING THANK YOU TO EVERYONE. I REALY DIDNT EXPECT THIS MUCH FEEDBACK! ITS LOVELY TO SEE SO MANY PEOPLE WILLING TO HELP AND PROVIDE THEIR VIEWS.... DEFO GONA STAY ACTIVE ON THIS FORUM

SkyHigh ===>Thanks so much SkyHigh!!!
that does help

ducatikid ==> Im asuming thats the 1.0 75PS Bluemotion correct?and Well the people in Vauxhalls can go to **** as Ive tried the corsa andeverythingjust feels cheep and tacky by todays standard. they seem a bit stuck behind time.

M4796P ===> Boot wont really be a problem for me wont really use the back seats, hows the fold down room?

My Next predicament guys is the choice between the Grove Up! or the High Up! this choice mainly depends on the Engine so any further help will be awesome

·
Registered
811 Posts
They are the same car really, so the engine is the 75bhp unit in both. The Groove Up has funkier colours and trim plus a nice sounding Fender stereo.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts