Up Owners Club banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I was just wondering if anyone could tell me if this is normal for ordering an Up, or if I need to reconsider my choice of dealer?

I popped in to look at an Up more or less on a whim, was told there was one available with the exact spec I wanted that was 'dockside' and could be here in two weeks, and so agreed a trade in price and finance and ordered it. Nothing was written down or signed, but the salesman took £200 (for a servicing package) as a deposit and waved me off saying he'd pop something in the post to me.

Six days later I'd had nothing through, so phoned to see if they had a definite date yet and to say I'd had nothing through from them. I was told the car had reached the UK port, and that they hadn't sent anything through because they 'don't like to get too excited' until everything is definite.

Six more days and I'd heard nothing from them again, so rang for an update. I was told the car had been at the UK port for three days (errmmmm...?) and that they'd marked it as urgent and it would definitely be in at some point in two days time. I could have it a day later if it arrived early in the day, or if not, after the weekend. The salesman wasn't in that day, so I was speaking to (I assume) the owner, who said the salesman would ring next day to sort numberplates. This did actually happen, amazingly!

On the day I could supposedly collect if it had arrived early the day before, I'd heard...nothing. So rang to see if it arrived, and was told no, it hadn't, but it had been a 'long shot'. No suggestion of when it might arrive was given.

So, it's only been a little over two weeks, but I have no delivery date (for a car that is in the country already), no order number, nothing in writing to confirm the finance payments, price of car, price promised for my trade in... I'm feeding petrol into my existing car a fiver at a time as I have no idea how long I'll be driving it for. This is so far removed from my previous new car experience, I just wondered if it was normal for VW?!

Also, can anyone tell me if you still get a free case for your Maps and More? VW customer services said yes, dealer has no idea what I'm talking about?

Thanks.

Edited by: Seven7

·
Registered
2 Posts
When I ordered my Up! it was at Grimsby docks and it took about a week to arrive at the dealer in Sunderland. According to my dealer they either arrive though Tyne Dock, Grimsby or the South East coast sorry I can't remember the dock. I was told depending on the dock your car is at it can take two weeks to arrive.

Yeah I got a nice little Up! branded case for the M+M.

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
851 Posts
Nothing in writing is odd. I bought my car via distance and not once visited the dealership nor did i ever meet the salesman. When i paid the deposit, he sent me the receipt by post straight away.

·
Registered
198 Posts
I'd say it's weird, I wasn't dealing with most perfect dealership ever, but still they've called me, replied to emails, and I've had everything in writing the first day I've visited them.

The unexplainable unexpected delays seem to be normal, though - I've had to wait about a week for I never figured out what (they've already had the car and most paperwork and I test drove it already).

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, I was starting to think my previous dealer (car supermarket type place) was exceptional!
They emailed me the finance paperwork to look over, phoned regularly with updates, answered queries by email...

This lot, I emailed a question about the finance (only what day the first payment would be taken) and never got an answer. I'm not sure they know how to do email, the bloke said he'd read it when I phoned, why not reply then?

I'm not sure how they can sell M&M cars all the time and not know they're meant to have a case either?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
mark_n said:
When I ordered my Up! it was at Grimsby docks and it took about a week to arrive at the dealer in Sunderland.  According to my dealer they either arrive though Tyne Dock, Grimsby or the South East coast sorry I can't remember the dock.  I was told depending on the dock your car is at it can take two weeks to arrive. 

Yeah I got a nice little Up! branded case for the M+M.

Hope that helps. 
Mine's at Grimsby, it's 10 days since I was first told it was there, and a week since the second time they claimed it was. I could drive to Grimsby in about an hour

·
Registered
333 Posts
Hi just reading your post . he should of given you an order number .of the car .paper work of your deposit ..
And if not you should go back and demand one .especially for your trade in as well .hope
It works out well for you .it will definitely be worth the Waite phill

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
At the minute I'm assuming they're lazy rather than dodgy, but we'll see what they say tomorrow when I ask them for order number, receipt, and all the figures in writing.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Make sure you get it. When I ordered mine I had paperwork with details of the cars spec, the order number, the trade in price for my old car and the balance owed after I had paid the deposit. If never hand over money to anyone without a receipt.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Now that I think about it I didn't get any paperwork when I ordered mine in February other than a receipt for the deposit. That was from an official VW dealer, too.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
If you can see a nice red one being loaded onto a transporter, that should be mine.

I've got an order number now, and he gave me the numbers again and should be emailing them to me shortly. He also said the car is arriving with them today. Fingers crossed.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Nothing worse than having to wait for a new car especially when it is so close!!, we had a similar wait for mrs UP! because of the colour (white), the first white up! in Ireland
But it was ina different aprt of the country with another dealer and the delay was transport, we were getting a bit frustrated with the wait as it seemed unreasonable considering the distance it was from us. but eventually it arrived and she hasn't looked back since. Your dealer sounds poor in regard to the info and lack of communication with you, but don't let that refon the car itself they are great to own, after 2 yrs of driving the white one occasionally I traded my BMW for one last month, slight difference in the power
but the smile is just as big.

Edited by: yazz

1 - 15 of 15 Posts