Up Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know you're all sedate and careful drivers, but here's what I've been wondering. I was driving back to Norfolk from London the other day in my Focus 1.8 Zetec (soon to be traded in for next to nothing) when I came up behind one of those 48mph drivers, slipped into third gear and was past him in a flash. When I have my up! will I have to sit behind him until he turns off? How have you lucky already possessors of up!s been finding that kind of thing?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
94 Posts
Yapmaul, I have had a few "If I were in my 8" moments but that's more down to me refusing to let the up! rev over 4k until I have covered 1000 miles.

That said, a change into 3rd at 48mph should still give the up! enough oomph to make it passed safely if not quite as quickly as your Focus (as long as you are not driving up a hill)!
The thing is, with the 'Think Blue' trainer I find myself more compelled to cruising as I am determined to fill up all the blue bars! (You'll see what I mean when yours arrives)!

Just as a side note, my old Dad has owned his 1.8 Zetec focus for 10 years, 125,000 miles, full service history, never once let him down, very inexpensive to maintain....
It's now on AutoTrader for next to nothing.
If anyone asks me to recommend a cheap car, I always reply with "a well looked after Focus" cracking cars!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
198 Posts
I alsodon'twant toover revmy UP! while I have not covered 1000 miles, but I was pleasantly surprised at the amount of acceleration available if needed.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
MattyUp you are dead right about the Focus. It maybe heresy to say so on here but it's the best car I've owned - so far! And that includes a Golf and a Polo of which I was very fond. It's a little thirsty, that's all, especially as it requires enormous restraint not to drive it fast on the motorway. Having said that, the up! I took for a test drive felt great on the road and when I got back in the Focus it felt a little old and tired! So I ordered an up!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,382 Posts
It's not a problem. I've been behind someone doing 40-50mph, dropped into 3'rd, and whizzed past. I've been pleasantly surprised by the get up and go of this little car. But you must increase the revs to get that oomph. Apart from when running in, revving the engine - when warmed up - does it good, as it helps clear the valves. A bit like a good cough I guess, but without the phlegm or snot.

The Up is no hot hatch, but it is perky, and more than up to overtaking and motorways.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,382 Posts
yapmaul said:
MattyUp you are dead right about the Focus. It maybe heresy to say so on here but it's the best car I've owned - so far!
In general Ford produce very good cars for the money. I would have gone for a Fiesta had the local Ford garage not in effect defrauded me when I had an MOT there. I do feel VW are overrated due to skillful advertising, although the Polo I borrowed was wonderful inside.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
619 Posts
I've passed a few dawdlers in the last week or so but did not feel the need to drop the car into third; I just eased past in fourth without incident. I don't think Up drivers will be at a disadvantage though, the engine seems to like revs and responds with enthusiasm when asked to 'perform'.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
423 Posts
Leif said:
yapmaul said:
MattyUp you are dead right about the Focus. It maybe heresy to say so on here but it's the best car I've owned - so far!
In general Ford produce very good cars for the money. I would have gone for a Fiesta had the local Ford garage not in effect defrauded me when I had an MOT there. I do feel VW are overrated due to skillful advertising, although the Polo I borrowed was wonderful inside.


I haven't checked but when you say good cars for the money do you mean that they're cheaper across the board than the equivalent VW (or any other marque)? When my wife bought her last car we had a look around at what was on offer, including the Fiesta. She hated the interior, thought it was cheap looking and over fussy, and didn't even ask about prices. Also Arnold Clark are the local dealers (we've had some very unsatisfactory dealings with them over the years) which didn't help matters. What she decided on is now in the gallery!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I wouldn't want a new Ford. The designs have become too fussy for my liking. They all seem to derive from the original Foces shape which didn't need any elaboration. And they aren't cheap. I only bought my Focus by accident because a colleague at work was selling. She was buying a beetle. Am I the only one who thinks the new Beetle looks more like an old Focus than an original VW. (I'm glad my partner can't see this post. She would probably leave me!)
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,179 Posts
I too have done a little overtaking, and my up did it with some ease, still taking it easy tho, so made sure that I had plenty of room to do it in :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,382 Posts
whassup said:
I haven't checked but when you say good cars for the money do you mean that they're cheaper across the board than the equivalent VW (or any other marque)?
They are good for the price. I could have had a new Fiesta for £8300, not pre-registered, from a main dealer. Before the Up appeared, that would have been an excellent deal. The Focus and Mondeo are good cars. They all drive very well, which matters to me, have decent engines, decent interiors, and are well priced. And surveys suggest that reliability is decent too, or at least okay.

whassup said:
When my wife bought her last car we had a look
around at what was on offer, including the Fiesta. She hated the
interior, thought it was cheap looking and over fussy, and didn't even
ask about prices. Also Arnold Clark are the local dealers (we've had
some very unsatisfactory dealings with them over the years) which didn't
help matters. What she decided on is now in the gallery!!

I do agree with you. I had a base spec. Fiesta as a loan car, and I thought the console looked a bit cheap and tacky, and over styled, sort of space ship like. I loved the old style Fiesta body but for me the new one is too stylised, over the top. I also thought the engine a bit dull. Nothing like as willing as the Up.

The VW Polo is a lot pricier, and a bit dull to drive. And not particularly quiet. But ... I thought the interior fantastic, and the ride nice and comfy. If I did not have to commute 300 miles a week, I would seriously consider a Polo due to the interior comfort. I'm not keen on the body styling though.

In general I've had a good experience with Ford garages, except for the last one, Caffyns of Alton, execrable company, I will never touch Ford as long as they are the nearest dealer. I could go into rant mode describing how bad they are ... I won't. But apart from them, dealers were good, servicing was cheap, car was reliable.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
432 Posts
Around my area, I've got to know where the few stretches of road are that are potential overtaking places, i.e. the field of vision is good, there are no side entrances or blind curves/rises in the road, etc. If I'm behind a slow vehicle approaching one of these stretches, I make sure I drop back a bit just beforehand, then in the last few seconds before the overtaking stretch appears, I time it, and pre-accelerate in third, and position myself a little towards the centre, for optimum vision past the car. As the clear stretch arrives, I have 15 mph extra 'in hand', and if it's clear, I go to full throttle and continue to pass, which takes very little time. If there is approaching traffic, a touch on the brakes and I leave it for the next known safe stretch. You can lose 15 mph very quickly with brakes. Not so easy to gain 15 mph
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,382 Posts
move up! said:
Around my area, I've got to know where the few stretches of road are that are potential overtaking places, i.e. the field of vision is good, there are no side entrances or blind curves/rises in the road, etc. If I'm behind a slow vehicle approaching one of these stretches, I make sure I drop back a bit just beforehand, then in the last few seconds before the overtaking stretch appears, I time it, and pre-accelerate in third, and position myself a little towards the centre, for optimum vision past the car. As the clear stretch arrives, I have 15 mph extra 'in hand', and if it's clear, I go to full throttle and continue to pass, which takes very little time. If there is approaching traffic, a touch on the brakes and I leave it for the next known safe stretch. You can lose 15 mph very quickly with brakes. Not so easy to gain 15 mph
That sounds like the approach taught by the IAM and other advanced driving people. I've only twice had trouble overtaking. On one occasion while overtaking a line of cars, I checked my rear view mirror and saw a clown in a high power car tailgating me. Lord knows how I could have cancelled that manouevre had the need arisen. On another occasion I found myself unable to get past a car and could not figure out why. Well, he was accelerating and matching my speed, and all the while I was thinking "almost past". I got dangerously close to a blind bend. That is perhaps the only time I have driven dangerously. Further on at some lights I got out, and calmly asked him if he saw me overtaking. He said yes. I asked him if he was purposefully preventing me overtaking. He said yes. I then told him he was a menace and not fit to drive, except not in quite such nice terms. Since then I have also factored in the possibility that a car I am overtaking is driven by a nutter, and allowed for that. Some people, fortunately few, are quite happy to endanger other people. A month ago someone pulled in front of me and emergency braked, to engineer a crash. It failed, as I instinctively pulled back. He was in a car with his wife at the time. I digress.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
956 Posts
Leif said:
That sounds like the approach taught by the IAM and other advanced driving people. I've only twice had trouble overtaking. On one occasion while overtaking a line of cars, I checked my rear view mirror and saw a clown in a high power car tailgating me. Lord knows how I could have cancelled that manouevre had the need arisen. On another occasion I found myself unable to get past a car and could not figure out why. Well, he was accelerating and matching my speed, and all the while I was thinking "almost past". I got dangerously close to a blind bend. That is perhaps the only time I have driven dangerously. Further on at some lights I got out, and calmly asked him if he saw me overtaking. He said yes. I asked him if he was purposefully preventing me overtaking. He said yes. I then told him he was a menace and not fit to drive, except not in quite such nice terms. Since then I have also factored in the possibility that a car I am overtaking is driven by a nutter, and allowed for that. Some people, fortunately few, are quite happy to endanger other people. A month ago someone pulled in front of me and emergency braked, to engineer a crash. It failed, as I instinctively pulled back. He was in a car with his wife at the time. I digress.

There really are some seriously deranged morons out there aren't there. Lucky you're a careful and obviously observant driver and you're right, it's probably a lesson to us all to factor in mindless stupidity and/or recklessness when contemplating what we think of as normal overtaking but what's actually a potentially hazardous move.
 
1 - 20 of 29 Posts
Top