Up Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This might be a VW thing, but has anyone noticed that when you have front wipers on and you put car in reverse, the rear wiper operates once to clear the rear window.
l know this might be a VW feature, but was amazed when it first happened.
Any other Up! Party tricks that you have found out about?
l really love this little car to bits.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Lol, all cars do that now. It's called multiplexing

Edited by: UpMan

·
Registered
309 Posts
Nice.

I like the fact that when you use the front screen washer, the wipers are delayed until the screen is wet. Hated it in old cars where the wipers 'ground' the dirt into a dry screen before the water hit the screen! should stop the windscreen getting scratched.

No doubt there will be an old thread about this also

·
Registered
851 Posts
Another wiper related party trick i like is when you have the wipers on normally and you stop at a junction, then they automatically go into intermittent mode until you pull away, at which point they return to the normal wiper sweep.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I like the maps and more trick... that it saves the location where you stopped and parked the car.So if you do go for a long walk around a city on holiday. and then think "mmmm where the **** is the car from here?". just ask your maps and more... it will route you back to the car.
But remember to take the maps and more with you lol...

·
Registered
99 Posts
hi

have you tried the "rolling down hill trick" (under safe conditions I may add) - only if you have a blue motion UP! -when you come to a halt,the car will cut out (as per) - well let it roll downa hill in with the gearstick in neutral and heyho, the car will start all on its own (no pressing of clutch or key starting required) - only has to be about 2-3 mph........

·
Registered
140 Posts
Another trick I've only just found out..
When washing the car instead of switching the car off whilst the wipers are on and trying to get them just right..
You can switch the car on then off then press the wiper and it will go up ready for you lifting them up!!
I thought it was quite a clever thing that I didn't know about..

·
Registered
222 Posts
I like that it doesn't roll back if you are on the foot brake on a hill and go to pull away. Although it does make you lazy and less inclined to use the handbrake.Don't know if its BMT specific.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Heartagram said:
I like that it doesn't roll back if you are on the foot brake on a hill and go to pull away. Although it does make you lazy and less inclined to use the handbrake.Don't know if its BMT specific.

That will be the hill assist. You have 2 seconds before you roll back into the car behind!! However Irarely use it as Iwas taughtto use the handbrake if you are stationary for any length of time.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I like that feature too.. It's much better.. I see so many people using their handbrakes and it makes me smile I don't need to use mines.. The less you use the handbrake the better IMO!

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
CarlitoUp said:
I like that feature too.. It's much better.. I see so many people using their handbrakes and it makes me smile I don't need to use mines.. The less you use the handbrake the better IMO!
Why? I must admit it takes a little skill to use the handbreak correctly without rolling back. Not using the handbreak is pure laziness IMHO.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Beevee said:
CarlitoUp said:
Why? I must admit it takes a little skill to use the handbreak correctly without rolling back. Not using the handbreak is pure laziness IMHO.

From the Institute of Advanced Motorists (IAM)

For example, you will usually apply the handbrake at traffic lights, on hills, waiting to turn right and always at a pedestrian crossing.

·
Registered
140 Posts
AGE1950 said:
Beevee said:
CarlitoUp said:

From the Institute of Advanced Motorists (IAM) 

For example, you will usually apply the handbrake at traffic lights, on hills, waiting to turn right and <SPAN style="FONT-FAMILY: Verdana"]always at a pedestrian crossing. </SPAN]

<SPAN style="FONT-FAMILY: Verdana"]</SPAN]<SPAN style="FONT-FAMILY: Verdana"]</SPAN]<SPAN style="FONT-FAMILY: Verdana"]</SPAN] 

<SPAN style="FONT-FAMILY: Verdana"] 
</SPAN]
I don't really care what they say about using the handbrake.. It's a waste of time when my car has anti roll.. And over time the handbrake can loosen.. The use of handbrake is old news. I'm not saying people shouldn't use theirs.. I just don't use mine because I see no advantage of using it when stopped at lights..

·
Registered
851 Posts
People who use only their footbrake in traffic queues are discourteous to the driver behind because their brake lights shine too brightly and they can hurt the eyes. That is as good a reason as any for using the handbrake.Edited by: AlanG

·
Registered
851 Posts
CarlitoUp said:
I hardly think the up's brake lights are blinding..
All brake lights are the same wattage - it's a standard value for all road vehicles. That means if the car is a Smart or a Rolls Royce the wattage is the same.

·
Registered
140 Posts
AlanG said:
CarlitoUp said:
I hardly think the up's brake lights are blinding..
All brake lights are the same wattage - it's a standard value for all road vehicles. That means if the car is a Smart or a Rolls Royce the wattage is the same.
Yeh but it's still hardly blinding.. Specially during the day.

Also I find people who use their handbrake at lights are inconsiderate.. As they take longer to move away holding up people behind them!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts