Up Owners Club banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Profiles of the VW range from Up to Golf.. just for interest really. I was looking at the common style one lunch time..

<probably not quite to scale...>Edited by: Rednaxela

·
Registered
677 Posts
The Polo and the Golf are so similar it questions why have 2 cars basically the same on sale?? If them made the new golf that comes out later this year more like the Polo, design wise, then why keep the Polo on? I much prefer the style of the Polo, the golf just looks like its ugly twin brother!

The Up! however is in a league of its own! so cute and practical :D i love it!

·
Premium Member
1,179 Posts
i agree craig, love the polo, and after staring at the golf cabriolet yesterday i like that, but the up is in a legue of its own!

·
Registered
198 Posts
I agree the UP! is in a league of its own, can't believe the polo and golf look so similar

Really please I went for the Up!

·
Registered
51 Posts
They wont drop any of them there is easily room for all three,the up has a tiny boot so already there is a need for the Polo and although it doesnt look it the Golf is much bigger and the quality is a step up.

·
Registered
26 Posts
The Polo is in many ways a mini Golf,and just as capable.I have just returned from a 600 mile 2 day round trip to Edinburgh in my Polo 1.2 70ps and the car remained unstressed,relaxed,and returned 50 mpg+( I think I spotted 2-3 Ups in that time!)

·
Registered
304 Posts
I always think it's funny when they say that 'the plastic is a higher quality' in one model of car to another. Surely plastic is actually only one quality. The quality comes from what shape the designer has made that plastic into I believe?

Texture/ shininess is created in the moulding process, give or softness is specified by design and created by materials/ composition of plastics...

Yes I can see the Up! Is built to a price point (no rear arch liners, thin bulkhead noise baffling etc etc... But it's evident by the ups! encap crash figures, although built to be light (and so have great fuel savings) it's still a very rigid and strong construction.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Interesting post. A ruler will show that the distance from the back of the front wheel to the back of the car is about the same in the Up and the Polo, which explains why VW admit that they have very similar internal space. The Polo boot is not that much bigger, 280L versus 250L, although there might be caveats/fiddling. Clearly VW must have done some clever business with the engine to reduce the car length (radiator at side not front, for example) which is great because it is so easy to park .

If they can get almost as much space from a car that is 50cm shorter, why would they not do something similar with the Polo, and then get more space inside? I am sure I read that the Up floorpan will be shared with other cars, not just the Mii and Citigo.

Regarding plastics, certainly some cars have plastic that feels cheap. The Ford Fiesta has some cheap feeling plastics, perhaps due to using thin mouldings in places, although my old style Ford Ka had plastics that felt okay, although the styling was a bit impractical in places.

·
Registered
304 Posts
'feels cheap' is that by feeling soft or flexible? This again could be thin to save weight, or act as crash cushioning / deformable on impact?

Good point re sizing of internal space. Take the mini for instance which in the first BMW version, had the same wheelbase as a land rover but so much less internal space. Infact at six foot two I needed the drivers seat fully back, giving the passenger behinfpd me all of two inches between my seat back and front of rear seat.

Just imagine the space in the Golf if built using the same techniques as the up!.

I am not sure why there is any requirement for rear parking sensors as where the rear window sits is actually the back of the car?Edited by: Markmod1

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
I suppose I really meant looks cheap, in the case of the Ford Fiesta. It might be something to do with the colouring. Some plastics just look cheap, sometimes it is the way it is moulded, with the flashings visible (I assume that is the right term, the bit where the mould halves joined). So you may well be right, it is not the plastic as such, but the way it is moulded, coloured, textured and so on. S'pose we'd need a plastics expert to explain.

·
Registered
212 Posts
golf length 4199mm - wheelbase 2578mm - boot cap 350/1305 litres
var length 229mm - var w'base - 108mm - var boot 70/353 litres
polo length 3970mm - wheelbase 2470mm - boot cap 280/952 litres
var length 430mm - var w'base 50mm - var boot 39/1 litres
up length 3540 - wheelbase 2420 - boot cap 251/951 litres

It makes me think that the use of space for the Golf and Golf Lite has been a bit lazy or just totally re-thought for the up! The whole purchase for me has been a rethink of what I need.

The ever increasing cost of motoring and the 'don't carry extra weight that you don't need etc'. Looking at my pristine back seats and the rear doors that I never use made me think I was carrying a quarter of a car round that I didn't need!

Leif - the engine and radiator are side by side in the up! rather than in line. The engine will apparently fit on a sheet of A4 paper which is a bit mind boggling when you think what it does.

Totally agree about the Fiesta. We had a look at one and decided against it. Like the Corsa it still looks like a 90's stereo inside. We decided on a Mazda 2 which has been really good so far. Mrs M wasn't best please when I came back from the VW dealer though!

·
Registered
212 Posts
Some of the worst offenders for internal space are the faux 4x4's markmod1.

Parked next to a Nissan Qashqai the other day and was amazed how small it was inside. All that bonnet and the essential ground clearance it needs compromised it even further.

Nearly as bad as the old Frontera!

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I think the low power engine helps miniaturise the up! As soon as the power goes up, then so does the heat and the associated gear to cool it down. More space needed for radiator etc. I will be interested to see how they cool the up GT. I expect they will have a few tricks up their sleeves..

1 - 14 of 14 Posts