Up Owners Club banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello UPites I am looking for some help.

I am currently buying a car for my Mother which will be her run-around until she can't drive anymore. We have looked at a number of cars; Mini, Fiat 500, Me and today (at my instigation) the UP.

I have been browsing this forum for a while and tbh if I didn't need more space for work I would buy an UP for myself. I am conscious that I don't want her to end up in the car I want

So first of all I went with her to Alan Day on the north circular. All the other showrooms we have been to the staff where friendly and helpful. Not so in Alan Day. Fairly unhelpful when we went in and then when I asked if they had used as well (I always like to know what's about even when my intention is to buy new) we were handed off to the used sales guy and told by the first guy that the demonstrator wasn't available for people trying for used purchases? seriously WTF? Maybe that is common practice but he was pretty rude.

So first thing. If I buy her an UP it won't be from Alan Day, but I'd be grateful if anyone has any experience of City over in Collindale to share? or any other showroom in North London to recommend?

Then getting onto the car itself. Do any of the erm, more senior
owners have any issues with getting in and out? My Mother is in good shape but sometimes has issues with her hip ... I know this is all getting a bit specific! but if this forum isn't the right place to ask, where is?

Lastly a general one to all. I am trying to keep the price below £11K. If anyone has views about the best model and spec in that price range I'd be interested to hear. I'm also interested in the extras people bought (manufacturer) those that people wish they hadn't (key fob seems to be the only one there is wide spread agreement on) and more importantly ones that they are glad on a daily basis they have.

Thanks in advance :)

O&U

·
Registered
525 Posts
Despite my 88 year old dad peering into the back of my 2 door up and saying how hard it would be for an elderly and infirm person (unlike him, he meant!) to get in there, it turns out that the 2 door up is brilliant for my elderly and infirm mother in law to get in and out of, and she has very limited mobility. In the front that is. Huge door, very solid for grabbing hold of, and loads of leg room.

Interested to hear about Alan Day as I'm moving near there soon. Like you I'd like to hear about northLondon dealerships. Good luck with the purchase!Edited by: yapmaul

·
Registered
226 Posts
I think that the move up would probably be best... (Maybe with the sound pack or maps and more but I don't know how useful they'll be here) anddefinitely the spare wheel. You may also want to consider the 5 door option. It's not much more, but is probably a bit more practical in day-to-day use.Edited by: skyhigh

·
Registered
811 Posts
My 85 year old mother in law has no trouble getting into the front or back of my 5 door Up.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Dont forget to get a quote from DriveTheDeal.com,I made savings of almost £1000 on my HighUp.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Whatever spec you go for ORDER THE SPARE WHEEL!! It's only £50.

·
Registered
15 Posts
<div style="margin-left: 2px; margin-top: 2px; margin-right: 2px; margin-bottom: 2px; font-family: Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; color: rgb0, 0, 0; font-weight: normal; font-size: 12px; line-height: 1.4; border-top-width: 0px; border-right-width: 0px; border-bottom-width: 0px; border-left-width: 0px; border-style: initial; border-color: initial; -: none; : rgb255, 255, 255; ">I may be in a minority here, but for peace of mind I'd order the City Emergency Braking.
<div style="margin-left: 2px; margin-top: 2px; margin-right: 2px; margin-bottom: 2px; font-family: Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; color: rgb0, 0, 0; font-weight: normal; font-size: 12px; line-height: 1.4; border-top-width: 0px; border-right-width: 0px; border-bottom-width: 0px; border-left-width: 0px; border-style: initial; border-color: initial; -: none; : rgb255, 255, 255; ">

<div style="margin-left: 2px; margin-top: 2px; margin-right: 2px; margin-bottom: 2px; font-family: Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; color: rgb0, 0, 0; font-weight: normal; font-size: 12px; line-height: 1.4; border-top-width: 0px; border-right-width: 0px; border-bottom-width: 0px; border-left-width: 0px; border-style: initial; border-color: initial; -: none; : rgb255, 255, 255; ">Take a look at the videos on You Tube, its a nice piece of technology, and at only an extra £200, it would be well worth it if it prevented your mum from having a bump. And if it prevents just one accident it'll pay for itself.
<div style="margin-left: 2px; margin-top: 2px; margin-right: 2px; margin-bottom: 2px; font-family: Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; color: rgb0, 0, 0; font-weight: normal; font-size: 12px; line-height: 1.4; border-top-width: 0px; border-right-width: 0px; border-bottom-width: 0px; border-left-width: 0px; border-style: initial; border-color: initial; -: none; : rgb255, 255, 255; ">

·
Registered
62 Posts
City emergency brake saves life and is a sort of insurance. I was test driving a new Volvo V60 with my son, a while ago and did not notice that the car in front of me had stopped and was turning left (It is like right turn in UK) but his indicator lights did not work and I never noticed anything untill our test Volvo started flashing light in the dash board and sounded alarm and braked the car, saving us. It was an eye opener. You may never need it but it is there when you do, like the air bag.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Many thanks for all the replies so far. It's very useful to have user (and their Parent!) feedback.

We are probably going to City tomorrow so I will post how it goes. Spare wheel is a definite and I will look at the City Emergency Brake thingy.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Very good question - about access for the 'older and infirm! Having gone through two major back operations I have toconsiderthis problem when choosing a car. OnereservationI had whenshort-listingthe UP was could I get in and out easily (without looking a complete idiot)! No need to worry. The three door was a doddle for an old codger like me and was even better once I fitted the centre arm rest, which gave me extra purchase getting in.

·
Registered
93 Posts
The braking gizmo is worth it imho especially if you commute in traffic like I have to. Rear end shunts are all too common.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for replies. Latest bit of new information is that my Mother has discovered she get discomfort with the Manual. Was very impressed with how well the UP shifted on the motorway and the adjustable seat height but coming from an automatic she says she would stick with that.

So Automatic, Spare wheel, centre armrest? City Brake and ... :)

Guys at Collindale were very friendly and helpful. Did anyone else who was looking at the UP, look at the CityGo and/or Mii too? why did they go with the UP (or other) in the end?

Many thanks for replies it helps to have an independent(-ish) source of information and views.

O&U

·
Registered
176 Posts
Onwards&UPwards said:
.......Guys at Collindale were very friendly and helpful. Did anyone else who was looking at the UP, look at the CityGo and/or Mii too? why did they go with the UP (or other) in the end?

Many thanks for replies it helps to have an independent(-ish) source of information and views.

O&U

We looked at the other versions, but thought the up! was the "prettier" design, more expensive, but the residual prices will be far better at resale time

·
Registered
265 Posts
I just had my grandmother (81) for a ride in my Up! Which I got Tuesday. It's a 3-door 55KW move up with lots of extras. She was very impressed with it, especially how easy it was for her to get in and out of it!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for all help and replies guys. Have just bought a Red High UP with 1K on the clock from Abridge in Essex. My Mother is thrilled as it has all the things she wanted (auto, sunroof) no city break unfortunately but still a great little car :)

Collection on moday, pics to follow :D

1 - 15 of 15 Posts