Up Owners Club banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone tell me if the Up! spare wheel (if it had one!) is the same as the Polo? There are plenty of Polo spare wheels, including space savers, for sale on ebay - was thinking of buying one if it will fit.

Or if you get a full size spare wheel, does it fit the wheel well of the Up! without projecting up above the main floor?

My wife hasn't get her car yet - arrives in a week or two, so can't try it myself (actually it's a Mii - hope it's OK to be here!)

Ta!

·
Registered
525 Posts
The full size spare fits under the floor . You lose no boot space plus you get wheel tyre and tool kit for £50. It's worth it! You wouldn't buy the tyre on its own for that!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hi
Is this a brand new spare tyre with complete tool kit. Will this fit my High Up please. if so yes please

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
johnatg said:
Can anyone tell me if the Up! spare wheel (if it had one!) is the same as the Polo? There are plenty of Polo spare wheels, including space savers, for sale on ebay - was thinking of buying one if it will fit.

Or if you get a full size spare wheel, does it fit the wheel well of the Up! without projecting up above the main floor?

My wife hasn't get her car yet - arrives in a week or two, so can't try it myself (actually it's a Mii - hope it's OK to be here!)

Ta!
Hey the up! Has 4bolts to hold it on to the car I'm not sure but is the polo wheels 5 bolts?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
[Hey the up! Has 4bolts to hold it on to the car I'm not sure but is the polo wheels 5 bolts?]

Some Polos have four, some five. The majority of 'Polo spare wheels' on ebay have four. The pcd for the holes is 100mm, so that bit is OK. But what about the offset? And the hole in the middle?

I take the point that the full size spare is good value (but I thought the £50 option on a Mii was a spacesaver?) but **** - it's £50 for something you might well never use. Whereas a tenner isn't too bad! (if you buy one you can conveniently pick up)

We're selling a 12 year old Honda Civic (on ebay!
) and that has an unused full size spare wheel in the boot!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Interesting - the Mii option (£50) is a spacesaver but the Up! option/accessory? is full size (well - 14" - which might not be if you have 15" alloys) - also £50. According to the brochures/price lists.

Is this correct?

·
Registered
592 Posts
Yes - £50 for full size spare inc tool kit & jack.........bargain!

·
Registered
705 Posts
I don't think bargain is the right word in this case. A spare wheel or to be a standard feature and not an optional extra that has to be paid for.

Nick

·
Registered
592 Posts
Yes I agree. the point I was making Nick was, that many car makers do not include a spare these days. So, iven the choice of £50 for a factory ordered spare, or considerably more for a dealer fit option (I paid £250 for a dealer supplied spare for my other car), or buying a suitable rim/tyre/tool kit/jack yourself, I still consider £50 "a bargain".

The reason most manufacturers do not supply a spare is two fold:
1) They can keep the weight down which in turn, can help lower the CO2 emmissions (so they say!).
2) Gives more boot space (true)
3) To get more money from you (my favourite).

I cannot tolerate not having a spare, and will always spec one at order time if available as an option.

Andy.

·
Registered
619 Posts
If you are buying a spare wheel from the internet it may be an idea to ask the seller when the tyre was manufactured (this info is usually on the tyre wall). The recommendation is that you should not fit a tyre to your car that is more than six years old, on safety grounds, even if it has been unused.

Of course, if the spare you are buying has sat in the boot of a car for six years, it may be fine. If it has been exposed to the elements, due to being under the car as with some Renaults, it could have deteriorated to the point where it would be dangerous to use, even as a spare.

Worth keeping in mind...

·
Registered
397 Posts
Truth-seeker said:
1) They can keep the weight down which in turn, can help lower the CO2 emmissions (so they say!).
Here's what the RAC's Director says! http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-20958277 BUT ... no mention of the need for a NEW tyre if you've used the foam as tyre fitters will not touch a foam filled tyre!

Edited by: Collas

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
PeterWestSussex said:
Truth-seeker said:
Here's what the RAC's Director says! http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-20958277 BUT ... no mention of the need for a NEW tyre if you've used the foam as tyre fitters will not touch a foam filled tyre!

Don't know where your information comes from! My local Kwik Fit depot see no problem with cleaning and reusing a repaired tyre which had had a temporary foam repair.
Edited by: Collas

·
Registered
397 Posts
Beevee said:
Don't know where your information comes from! My local Kwik Fit depot see no problem with cleaning and reusing a repaired tyre which had had a temporary foam repair.
Over the past couple of years, that's the ONLY comment I've ever heard - from numerous sources "tyre dealer wouldn't touch the tyre as it's had a temporary foam repair". So, looks like some pressure has been brought to bear on the tyre dealers. Shall quote this from now on! And your local Kwik Fit depot is where?

·
Registered
619 Posts
I've heard also, a number of times, that the big chain tyre vendors wouldn't touch foam 'repairs', although I don't have any direct experience of this myself.

I did have the passing thought that tyre vendors could perhaps make more money selling a new tyre rather than cleaning and repairing the old, foam filled one. By this I mean their profit for time spent would be higher when selling a new tyre.

·
Registered
2 Posts
For those interested, i can advise that a polo spacesaver will fit but needs a 5mm spacer as it fouls the caliper. This is not an issue but fit at your discretion. Wheels are available in their thousands for next to nothing and a spacer is about £4.00.The 2003 onwards jack/tool kit from the polo, with the pear shaped polystyrene holder, appears identical to the factory Up/Mii one and fits perfectly with the correct height to support the boot floor.
I managed to fit out my parents Mii with all of this for £30 and all looks brand new...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks JKY - that's what I wanted to know!

But things have moved on at my end - we've got the Mii (in white - no extra charge!
) and, separately, a spacesaver spare wheel, billed as from an Ibiza but I think it's the same as a Polo one and the pear shaped toolkit holder complete with tools - now I'm just waiting for a hold down screw and some threaded rod!

Jeez - wish I'd just specified the optional spacesaver! But at least Seat didn't get my money for an outrageous accessory (ie the fact that it's an extra!) But in the end I haven't really saved anything.

The killer is the toolkit - you need that 'cos you don't get a jack if you don't have the spare. What you do get is the bottle of gunge and a compressor - but now I've got nowhere really to store them neatly.

I haven't tried my spare wheel on - think I'll wait till it warms up a bit! Point noted about fouling the caliper, but I'd suggest that using the spacesaver on a driven wheel isn't a good idea (the handbook says to not use the spacesaver for more than 120Kms on a driven wheel) - as it can mess up your diff. I guess there's no problem with fitting the spacesaver on the drum-equipped back. Not great to have to mess about with wheels on a busy road, though.

The other outrageous thing about the spare and not getting a jack is that you really need one to insert the gunge anyway - you should pump it in to the flat, then rotate the wheel around a few times to distribute it before pumping up.

I have used retail versions of the gunge - eg 'Ultraseal' - now known as 'Puncture Safe' - it works well - you put it in before a puncture then it seals the tyre against penetration. The US military use a version to make tyres bullet proof. I tested it when I was about to change worn out tyres - drove over a couple of nails in a plank. The tyre didn't lose any pressure at all. But if you do use it permanently, don't put as much in as they advise - it does cause wheel balance problems, despite claims to the contrary. OK with half the amount though, and it still works. Might need a top up I guess.Edited by: johnatg

·
Registered
2 Posts
Good point about not being on driven wheel, will fit on the rear without the spacer. Would be a pain to break down on a busy road and have to swap around I agree...The jacks are available on ebay very cheap - all VW ones are basically the same, some steel, some ally, some steel with plastic mount point. The ally ones are very nice (Audi A3 and MK4 Golf.) All fit into the polystyrene.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts