Up Owners Club banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picked up our new Polo 1.4 Match Edition in red and said goodbye to my white Take up! is pretty much High up! + standard rear PDC and cruise control and minus the Sat Nav element of Maps & More. After a drive to work and some general tootling about here are my thoughts:

The big word that differentiates the two is 'refinement' the Polo is much more hushed especially in the rear (has wheel arch liners), being a four cylinder the engine is naturally not going to be quite as vocal. Again extra sound deadening makes for a much hushed engine note, one that is a bit less fun than the up! roarty 3 cylinder. Mpg wise it seems to be around 6-8mpg worse, although the engine is very tight. The Polo has the 1.4 85ps lump and it does feel slightly quicker not much. The bigger difference is when the car is fully loaded and the extra power and torque is allot more noticeable compared to having 4 people in the up! performance was quite blunted by the extra weight. Polo weighs 1070kg compared to the up! 915/930 depending in spec. Brakes are sharper, but then the Polo does have discs all round.

The steering is as light if not as sharp as an up! The up! which felt quicker and keener to change direction and had a fun factor the Polo looses. The Polo is better damped so bumps and speed humps etc are felt much less and absorbed better. The slightly softer suspension gives a softer ride but at the cost of a little more roll in the corners and I am sure adds to the less keen to change direction - compared to the up!

The interior is much nicer overall I put it on par with my original E97 BMW 1 Series. The actual switches and buttons feel the same as the up! and are the same being from the same parts bin. The interior quality is made up from the slush moulded dash and air vents that feel very Audi esque in their operation and positive 'click.' The lower dashboard is hard plastic but again the plastic feels one grade above the up! The RCD310 DAB stereo is excellent, although the actual sound quality of the speakers is no better than an up! with the sound pack. The radio especially the DAB element is leagues ahead in sound quality terms as is the CD player. Media player sounds as good as using the media player via the Map & More I had in my up! Door cards with their material insert even though they are still hard plastic again has a slightly nicer feel and plusher grain. The seats are firmer overall but more supportive than the up! which were still very comfortable.

The up! Is more fun to drive and the Polo fights back with more space and refinement, although interior headroom was better in the up! The 1.4 engine suits the Polo well although not quite as responsive or nice sounding as the up! The five seats and four doors we require the Polo does the job and is a much more comfortable car to be in over longer journeys that I found the up! could become tiresome, due to the noise. Two very different cars though, up! is the better city car and Polo the better car for space, refinement and longer journeys. Oh and having electric mirrors and drivers and passenger window switches together is nice, as is a parcel shelf that I don't have to remember to put down 

Edited by: jezyg

·
Registered
851 Posts
Seemed a fair and objective comparison. Many people agonising over which car to buy may study this review in depth.

·
Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks - will miss the up! but for more fun driving still have the F20 1 Series that has the fun factor that the up! had.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Excellent review. I myself have just changed from high up to Polo R-Line a few weeks ago. The only negative I would add is that my polo can't display engine temperature, which I find quite odd.
Lovely car by the way Jezyg. I had ordered the exact same polo, but upgraded at the last moment.
Differences of match edition to r-line are not many. You get a 1.2TSI Engine, different cosmetic body style, black interior with sports seats and leather steering wheel plus 16 inch wheels. Apart from that the setup is identical.
The polo feels much smaller inside than the up! But I put that down to the black interior.
For anyone thinking of a R-Line, beware the tyres are £110 each !!! Found that out this week after a puncture that could not be repaired.
I shall also miss the up! But would not change back unless the up received a bit more sound proofing.

·
Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Rednaxela said:
Excellent review. I myself have just changed from high up to Polo R-Line a few weeks ago. The only negative I would add is that my polo can't display engine temperature, which I find quite odd.
Lovely car by the way Jezyg. I had ordered the exact same polo, but upgraded at the last moment.
Differences of match edition to r-line are not many. You get a 1.2TSI Engine, different cosmetic body style, black interior with sports seats and leather steering wheel plus 16 inch wheels. Apart from that the setup is identical.
The polo feels much smaller inside than the up! But I put that down to the black interior.
For anyone thinking of a R-Line, beware the tyres are £110 each !!! Found that out this week after a puncture that could not be repaired.
I shall also miss the up! But would not change back unless the up received a bit more sound proofing.
Thanks, 1.2 TSi is a peach on an engine, would of had it if we had gone for an Ibiza FR, but dissapointed with the interior. R-line
was too much for a second car, top choice would be a GT although a wee bit expensive for what it is IMO.

Ouch those tyres are not cheap tyres! I baulked some years abgo on £120 for a 17" run flat tyre on my 118d..

Agree on the temp gauge don't have it on my F20 1 series either. I think just the GTi has the temp gauge and poss the GT. MFD is decent though much better than up!though not as informative as the Maps & More.Edited by: jezyg

·
Registered
26 Posts
I too have the Polo R-Line,and can echo most of the comments above. I have driven the Up as a courtesy car and as a bloke of 6 foot 4,the car's best feature over the Polo was the leg space in the front-I could actually totally straighten my leg,which amazed me.However,in almost every other department,I find that the Polo totally trumps the Up .The choice of engines are better(avoid the 60hp!),the refinement and quality of the switchgear and fittings are indeed Audi-like,but,in my opinion,the most suprising differance is in the quality of the seats-the Up's feel that they could do with a little more support and padding,whilst the Polo's are definitely designed with long distance travel in mind.In my opinion,the Up is great for urban and extra- urban use,whilst the Polo,especially when equipped with the 1.2tsi,is a car for people who want to go a little further in comfort, and who find the Golf a little too big.The Up and the Polo are not really rivals at all,but both excel in their own fields!

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
You hit the nail on the head, the up! and Polo each have their own place in first for their class on the podium.

·
Registered
448 Posts
jezyg,

Thank you for a frank and unbiased review.

Enjoy your Polo.

go well.

·
Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Night Owl said:
jezyg,

Thank you for a frank and unbiased review.

Enjoy your Polo.

go well.
Thanks Night Owl - I hope the Polo is as reliable as my up! was.

·
Registered
309 Posts
The dash and steering wheel looks so bland and dated compared with the up. The air vents look like they came from the mk3 golf!. I like the current Golf interior, but for me the Polo interior seems at odds with the sporty exterior styling.

·
Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Andy T9 said:
The dash and steering wheel looks so bland and dated compared with the up. The air vents look like they came from the mk3 golf!. I like the current Golf interior, but for me the Polo interior seems at odds with the sporty exterior styling.

Agree on the looks front, but the quality is ahead of the up. They have a very tactile feel and are rubberised plastic so although look dated have the quality element. Knowing how VAG loves to recycle the could well have come from another VW or VAG product...

·
Super Moderator
3,147 Posts
I had a polo as a courtesy car while the up was in for repairs....it was only a 1.2 60bhp s model but i'd agree completely with your findings, the 60bhp lump is a dog which felt much worse than my up, however refinement in the polo, even s model was streets ahead. Biggest problem I had was that the polo was a 5 door and I had to manouver into the seat round the b piller!

think the polo with 140 odd hp would be a hoot, probably like the up gt should have been

·
Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Privatedoc said:
I had a polo as a courtesy car while the up was in for repairs....it was only a 1.2 60bhp s model but i'd agree completely with your findings, the 60bhp lump is a dog which felt much worse than my up, however refinement in the polo, even s model was streets ahead.  Biggest problem I had was that the polo was a 5 door and I had to manouver into the seat round the b piller!

think the polo with 140 odd hp would be a hoot, probably like the up gt should have been
The 1.2 60 is way behind the 1litre 60 I had in the up! in a Polo courtesy car I had with it found it underpowered for the size and weight of the car. Polo GT is a hoot, just way too pricy..low on the 5 doors, boon of having a 3 door just not good with getting a 10 month old baby in and out.

·
Registered
430 Posts
I have a Golf and an UP, I like them both lots, but, in terms of refinement, general comfort and quality of materials the Golf is miles and miles ahead of the UP. The Polo I recently had as a loan car also fell behind the high quality feel of the Golf and was less fun to drive than the UP.

·
Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Rickenbacker said:
I have a Golf and an UP, I like them both lots, but, in terms of refinement, general comfort and quality of materials the Golf is miles and miles ahead of the UP. The Polo I recently had as a loan car also fell behind the high quality feel of the Golf and was less fun to drive than the UP.
VW are not daft, the MK7 Golf is another leap and some parts of the interior are better than my F20 1 Series. But the look at the cost difference between the up! Polo and Golf you vcan see where the extra pennies charged have been spent. But for 8k with the up! you get a car that is more fun to drive than cars twice or even three times the price...

·
Registered
448 Posts
[/QUOTE But for 8k with the up! you get a car that is more fun to drive than cars twice or even three times the price...[/QUOTE].

I can say no more than ....I agree...wholeheartedly.

Go well.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts