Registered
727 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's one I just stumbled across:

[TUBE]VvcXnyo_x74[/TUBE]

·
Registered
261 Posts
Glad to see that the VW is ALWAYS in front of the Ford in the ad ;) & rightly so imo :)

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Bob Up said:
Glad to see that the VW is ALWAYS in front of the Ford in the ad ;) & rightly so imo :)
And being tailgated by the Ford!

I must admit the rather mechanical speaking manner of the presenter annoys me, and the review is a bit too factual, so you have to remember the details from each car if you want to compare them.

I saw a local garage selling the Ford Ka for £8K, so no competition for the TakeUp also at £8K. Two local Ford garages have gone bust, so Ford can't be selling so well.

·
Registered
261 Posts
i think that the expression Ka-Boom! sums it Up! lol... nice try ford but no banana! :)

·
Registered
811 Posts
Our local Ford dealer has discounted the Ka to £6995, presumably because he can't shift them. I actually looked at one but the rear seats are useless and it just felt cheap. It is also a Fiat 500 under the skin and they just aren't very good. No contest in my opinion.

·
Registered
705 Posts
And they'll probably rust.

Nick

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
I hope the new Ka is better made than the old one. Mine had a basic but solid engine, but underbody rust was an issue. Admittedly it was 10 years old. Damage to the wheel bearings was also a problem but perhaps that was the country lanes. I was astonished at the VW UP body warranty which is 12 years. What? Surely there must be weasel clauses.

My Ka was beyond economic repair after 10 years. There were rust holes in the sides, and the body needed welding next to the fuel tank, hence impractical.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Before I got my first VW in 1978 I looked at the Fiesta. The garage didn't have a demonstator so I had todrive one of the salesmans cars. When I had finished my drive Iasked to look under the bonnet.The carwas only 6 months old and there was rust around the top of the suspension legs. Needless to say Ididn't buy one.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Leif said:
Damage to the wheel bearings was also a problem but perhaps that was the country lanes. I was astonished at the VW UP body warranty which is 12 years. What? Surely there must be weasel clauses.

Remember thought that it is an anti-perforation warranty, i.e. they only say it won't rust right through, actual holes in the bodywork or chassis. Some surface rust, even to the point of requiring panel replacement or weld-in replacement, might not be sufficient to trigger a warranty payout.

There are plenty of clauses that say you've got to follow the recommended cleaning schedule etc. to be able to claim, but people still manage it.

VW's is a bit stingy in fact, Mercedes-Benz offer a 30 warranty and I know people who've claimed on this successfully.

·
Registered
540 Posts
I really don't like the KA's new design. I had an original KA when I was at Uni as an undergraduate (UK T reg) and it was brilliant for what I used it for. By the end everything was falling off it, but it kept on going right until we had to scrap it.

The new one just looks...odd. I just don't like the contours of the car for the dimensions, whereas with the UP! I really like the box-esque shape and the way the windows and rear lights especially seem to compliment it.

Glad I went of the up.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Fidel_Castronaut said:
I really don't like the KA's new design. I had an original KA when I was at Uni as an undergraduate (UK T reg) and it was brilliant for what I used it for. By the end everything was falling off it, but it kept on going right until we had to scrap it.

The new one just looks...odd. I just don't like the contours of the car for the dimensions, whereas with the UP! I really like the box-esque shape and the way the windows and rear lights especially seem to compliment it.

Glad I went of the up.
We had an old-skool KA too, a 1.3 which was great fun to drive on short or long stints, plenty of room. Unfortunately bits rusted away (the fuel cap fell in!) and it was costing a lot in repairs so we had to scrap it. Then we tested a new KA, Opel Adam and the up.

The new KA is nothing like the original. A good 4cylinder engine, but noisy, cramped, terrible dash, uncomfortable seats, dull dynamics, felt very cheap; the spirit of the original KA is gone...big shame.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts