Up Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
811 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Take Up is in for a service today and I have got a 5 door Polo Match 60ps as a loan car. A very interesting comparison to the much cheaper High Up - here are my thoughts.

Pro's
It is a good looking car in black with black alloys.
It is more 'normal' than the Up, with things like both window switches on the driver's door, soft touch dashboard etc
The radio is better - mine doesn't have the sound pack.
It is quieter than the Up.

Con's
It is very sluggish, 60bhp isn't enough to drag it around.
Not that economical, I averaged 40mpg coming home.
Subjectively it doesn't feel any roomier than the Up despite being a bigger car.
The gearchange isn't as sharp as the Up but the clutch is sharper.
It costs about £1500 more than a 5 door High Up.
It is really boring, no character at all.

In summary I can't really see the point of paying the extra, it just isn't as good. Maybe a diesel would make more sense but that would be about £14K.

Incidentally, I was delighted that if you listen carefully you can hear the gearbox rattling in 5th, it is just better damped by the sound proofing.
Edited by: Allybasher

·
Registered
587 Posts
Had a Polo 1.2 60ps Match for the weekend before I had my up! Handling and steering were not as good. The brakes were sharper though and the dash was of a high quality. But overall it lacked the 'fun factor' of the up. On the current offer of £1000 off and free insurance does makie it cracking value although the 75ps version is £900 more than the 60ps and they are the same engine just different state of tune???

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Interesting review. I do sometimes wonder if the Polo and the Golf as too similar to justify having both. You could almost ditch the Polo and just go from Up! to Golf. Then reduce the price of the basic Golf using the money saved by not manufacturing the Polo.
I do like the Polo though. Before the up came along, I did look at getting one.

last week I sat in the new Golf and found it quite cramped when compared to the up. I expect it was an illusion due tothe big imposing dash with lots of toys etc.
I also sat in the new beetle, which I really loved. It was very roomy in the front and the boot was big too. The back seats seemed to have less space to move than the up though.

·
Registered
677 Posts
Before I had my Up I had a 2011 Polo SE. I liked the car, but didn't love it. The 60bhp 1.2 petrol engine was utter rubbish! I loved the red colour and the interior was very posh. The ride was so smooth. But I wouldn't have another, unless it was kitted out with all the gadgets and a decent engine. I love my Up, it's sportier, faster, better looking and cheaper to run, insure and own. Can't wait to get a new one, I'm thinking I should wait for the GT

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Craig, do you change your car each year?

·
Registered
811 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I agree with Rednexala, I think the Polo is pretty pointless now that the Up has come along. The Up is a much better small car and the Golf isn't that much more expensive.

Due to a dealer ****-up, I've got the Polo until Saturday. I want my Up back!

·
Registered
677 Posts
ERM i try not too, but i do get bored very easily. I think the longest car I had was my Smart, I had it for 2 years! Im saving up for a deposit for a house so a new car might need to wait till next year :(

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Craig200588 said:
ERM i try not too, but i do get bored very easily. I think the longest car I had was my Smart, I had it for 2 years! Im saving up for a deposit for a house so a new car might need to wait till next year :(
Lol, I'm already calling mine a classic mark one up! Will be keeping it a while...

·
Registered
540 Posts
jezyg said:
Had a Polo 1.2 60ps Match for the weekend before I had my up! Handling and steering were not as good. The brakes were sharper though and the dash was of a high quality. But overall it lacked the 'fun factor' of the up. On the current offer of £1000 off and free insurance does makie it cracking value although the 75ps version is £900 more than the 60ps and they are the same engine just different state of tune???

I actually tested a Polo before buying the up, and my thoughts relating to the 'fun factor' were definitely the same as yours.

I must say, I've driven a number of VW cars from the up to a new Golf 2lrt turbo and a GTI, and the feel I got the from the up definitely made me think of the smooth and awesome running of the golf.

Maybe it's just that they're both VW and clearly time and care has been taken in the design to make it feel like a 'fun' car, but I felt that this was lacking in the polo when I tested one (I believe the one I tested was also a 1.2 60ps).

·
Registered
619 Posts
I drove my sister's 1.2 60hp Polo and it went like a snail - my Up feels like a race car in comparison. I do like the Polo interior though but would not buy one unless it had the 1.4 or 1.2 100bhp engine. My choice would be the 1.4 with the DSG box.

Auto Express have just said that VW have launched a Polo Blue GT with cylinder deactivation - for £18k. An eye watering price to say the least!

·
Registered
587 Posts
The Polo is not bad the better value buy though is the Ibiza even if it does have a low rent interior. FR and above now get the SEAT Portable Media System (Maps&More) as standard and with a discount comes in at the same price as a High up! but with the corking 1.2TSi engine.

That is my issue with the Polo it is still an expensive car when you move up the range and too close to even the Audi A1 in price terms, although you will be lucky to get 1K off an A1 but can easily get 2K off a Polo. The Golf is now only a few hundred pounds less than an A3 or 1 Series even if the kit count is slightly higher on the Golf.

·
Registered
811 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I agree with everything you say there, the Polo is just too expensive for what it is. For 18k I'd buy a Golf or a 1 series BMW.

If you really want a Polo, get an Ibiza or Skoda Fabia.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi Allybasher

I'm looking at buying an Up and constantly finding out things I didn't know about them. Probably a daft question, but what do you mean by saying that the Up doesn't have both window switches on the driver's door? Are they both on the centre console, or is the driver's window switch on the driver's door and the passenger one on the passenger door, so the driver can't reach it?! Also, someone else mentioned that the windows don't have 'one touch'. Has that proved to be annoying? I did have a test drive of a High Up but there are so many things to look out for that I obviously failed to notice lots
. Thanks.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Driver's window switch on driver's side, passenger on other side. No one touch. It hasn't bothered me in nearly ten thousand miles and I had sophisticated stuff on my last car. It's a very minor annoyance. Under the skin it's a very sophisticated little car.

·
Registered
811 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Just to add to the comprehensive answer, if you need to open the passenger window and are alone the Up is narrow enough that the switch can easily be reached from the driving seat.

I had one touch windows in my last few cars but I've not really missed them.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Same here. The only time I have needed this facility was stopping to ask directions, and like Allybasher says - easy enough to lean over. In day to day driving not really an issue.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I have the 70 ps Polo,and can definity can say that my engine is much better than the 60- peppy,characterful and economical too ( mid to late 50's mpg).However,saying that,I think that the Polo and the Up are too close together,range-wise,but seeing that the Golf is now a much bigger car,I think the next-generation Polo could become a very intersting prospect indeed,as I think that will be dynamic as the Golf (sharing the same chassis),but in a smaller,more affordable,package.

·
Registered
811 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
In that case, the Golf had better watch out. It will be interesting to see how it pans out.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Only go for adiesel if you do enoughmileage to get the exhaust hot, I have traded in mydieselpolo fora petrol UP, I got so fed up of driving around just to burn off the carbon in the filter.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts