Up Owners Club banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
811 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Ampera (AKA Chevrolet Volt) isn't a natural Up rival but I spent 3 days this week with one on an extended test drive and thought I'd share my opinions on it as I used it exactly as I would my Up. The model I had was the Electon, which cost £38000, ie nearly the same as 4 Ups.

First impressions are good. It is a very good looking car and well equipped with Satnav, Bose stereo, cruise control, leather interior etc. It isn't however as roomy as the Up, particularly in the back where my 6' teenage son's head was touching the roof.

I have a 38 mile each way commute and am soon changing jobs to one 50 miles away so I was mainly interested in whether the running costs would in any way compensate for the very high price. The range on pure electric was 31 miles before the petrol engine kicked in so if I charged up before leaving home (which apparently costs about £1) and switched to the petrol engine for a few constant speed motorway miles I got 284 mpg, which was impressive. Coming home wasn't so good though as I'd used the electric up and couldn't recharge at work. **** Health and Safety... On petrol it just about achieves 40mpg. The average for the round trip was about 80mpg. Which isn't bad.

The drive was good with loads of torque from the motor cutting in at zero rpm making for a very smart get away in complete silence - pretty adicitve. Again not so good on petrol, it didn't feel as quick and the engine was revving away in the background with no correlation to road speed, which was wierd.

So would I sell the Up and buy one (if I had 40 grand)? No.

The Up is roomier, the High Up is just as well equipped and while the Ampera is cheaper on fuel costs if you can recharge it, you can buy a lot of petrol for the £30,000 cost difference. It is a good car but far too expensive. We've got the e-Up coming and whilst I enjoyed the electric drive that would be no good for me due to the range. Please VW, build a range extended Up with a petrol generator for less than £20,000 and I'll put my name down now.

·
Registered
226 Posts
I'm strangely looking forward to the e-up. From the pictures it looks great and it would be nice to have lower fuel costs and be one of the first with an electric vehicle although I agree with your views - if you don't have anywhere to charge it, it's not much use. In my opinion, a hybrid would be much morepractical in day-to-day usage although the cost of the car would probably be too much to see any major savings over a normal petrol model.

·
Registered
811 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was very pleasantly surprised with the drive in electric mode and think that the e-up would be a great car for short journeys but until the range is sorted it would be a non starter for most people. The range extender like the Ampera is the way forward. It is just the price.....

·
Registered
587 Posts
Until the cost of batteries comes down the electric car will remain a rare sight. The Ampera and the Chevy Volt are a great idea if a bit expensive. You can have a BMW 320d ED for the price of an Ampera and if running longer distances actually works out more economical. The E-Up is a much better idea with a lower cost andsuitablerange for city driving. The Ampera is however a good looking car just a bit too expensive especially for a Vauxhall and the cost ofreplacementbatteries will hit its residuals maybe rendering it worthless at about ten years.

·
Registered
811 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
To be honest, the Ampera would make an excellent company car as it only is rated at 5% tax where a BMW 320D is taxed at 15%. I wouldn't buy one though.

·
Registered
587 Posts
Allybasher said:
To be honest, the Ampera would make an excellent company car as it only is rated at 5% tax where a BMW 320D is taxed at 15%. I wouldn't buy one though.
It does on Tax but its leasing rates are higher than the BM so not sure how near or far apart that would make them. At the right price I would buy it and for me that would have to be around 18K for a new one. But would still much rather have my 1 Series and my up! for city driving.

·
Registered
811 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
True. It would depend if the company would stand the leasing rates, which will be high to reflect the high depreciation.

I looked on Autotrader as a matter of interest, and an identical top model was for sale for £26,000 at less than a year old - that's £13K less than new. The trade in would have been something like £24K which means a £15K ish loss in less than a year. Eeek. That's 1.5 Ups.

·
Registered
587 Posts
Allybasher said:
True. It would depend if the company would stand the leasing rates, which will be high to reflect the high depreciation.

I looked on Autotrader as a matter of interest, and an identical top model was for sale for £26,000 at less than a year old - that's £13K less than new. The trade in would have been something like £24K which means a £15K ish loss in less than a year. Eeek. That's 1.5 Ups.

Eeek indeed, that's a Vauxhall for you and most private purchasers will be still a bit weary of an electric car even a good one like theAmpera. 26K gets you a brand new diesel Golf GT, or an Audi A3 and it is not hard to work out what most people will go for...

Edited by: jezyg

·
Registered
393 Posts
The worst bit about the e-Up! is whether or not you will have to "lease" the batteries! Nissan and Renault are now doing this, and for the Z.O.E. it costs an eye watering £70 per month!!! That's over a third of the cost of my High Up! every month!
On that strength, it will certainly not be viable for me as the I will need to run it for years and years to re-coup this and the more than likely sky high asking price that VW will most likely want. I bet it will be more expensive than the GT, and I know which one I would rather have.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Aha! So that's where I got my name from! Skyhigh prices... Maybe I'll just stick to a normal one.Edited by: skyhigh

·
Registered
393 Posts
LOL!

I agree. We'll have to see how much they want for it before I look at getting one.

·
Registered
235 Posts
I think I read the e-up! is going to be at least £15,000 (after the government's £5k contribution) so it is only likely to appeal to a limited number of people or businesses.

·
Registered
811 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Nice one! That sounds pretty good. It all depends on the price really.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts