Up Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want this fully functional steering wheel in my UP!, is that even possible?!

·
Super Moderator
1,495 Posts
Anything is possible, with the right amount of money.

If you are looking into a 'bolt in' solution, then no. There is no wiring within the car to connect signals from the steering wheel to the stereo. The steering column will not be the correct type to allow electronic signals to pass from the steering wheel, even if the wiring was there. The stereo does not allow external controls, so you'd have to change that as well. You'd be looking and hundreds, if not thousands of pounds.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was hoping the radio accepted external controls :(How does the steering column differ with and without wiring for external controls?

·
Super Moderator
1,495 Posts
The steering column will have connections to allows the signals from the buttons on the steering wheel to translate into the wiring in the steering column. Like the horn, this cannot be a physical wired connection, as the wires would twist and break when you turned the steering wheel.

Obviously, when I refer to steering column, I mean the module that sits at the top of the column containing all of the switchgear for the indicators and windscreen wipers.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Stupid that theydon'toffer this feature.I would have paid 500GBP easily.

But I knew what I wasbuyingand will live with the lacking features until I exchange it for a larger VW.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
shakotanVIP said:
The steering column will have connections to allows the signals from the buttons on the steering wheel to translate into the wiring in the steering column. Like the horn, this cannot be a physical wired connection, as the wires would twist and break when you turned the steering wheel.
How does that work anyway? sliding vipers around the column or something? - if so i could imagine it would get worn down over time?

stratcast said:
Stupid that theydon'toffer this feature, I would have paid 500GBP easily.
+1!

Edited by: Mulo

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
It would pay for them to just use a wireless signal direct to the stereo.Someone should design a blutooth remote that slots into the steering wheel trim.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
shakotanVIP said:
You get get aftermarket stereos with a remote control that clips to the steering wheel.

Thats fugly!
I am certainly not getting anyaftermarket parts in my car!

·
Registered
18 Posts
I came across this video review and for a moment it had me wondering.

I've found no reference to steering wheel controls in any of Volkswagen's sales literature yet here the presenter has his hands on such a wheel ""” purportedly inside an up! ""” at 9:37.

Closer inspection reveals the tell-tale light switch on the dash, showing that the insert edit is lifted from another review, probably a Beetle.

Bit misleading...

·
Premium Member
1,118 Posts
chris_42 said:
I came across this video review and for a moment it had me wondering.

I've found no reference to steering wheel controls in any of Volkswagen's sales literature yet here the presenter has his hands on such a wheel ""” purportedly inside an up! ""” at 9:37.

Closer inspection reveals the tell-tale light switch on the dash, showing that the insert edit is lifted from another review, probably a Beetle.

Bit misleading... 
Here's a piccy the the wheel on the review.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Just spotted this myself and got excited for steering wheel controls. Oh well.

·
Registered
467 Posts
it's a Beetle in the video. I have driven it and know how the air vents, door handleandlight switch (height) looks

·
Registered
89 Posts
Just been looking in the online workshop manual and in the radio section it lists the radio as being ready for steering controls!!
Just need to find out how the vw beetle steering wheel sends signals to the radio ( I think, But might be wrong, all signals are sent via can bus) and if wiring can be retrofitted to up!.
So if there is any vw bods on here any help would be appreciated.
I am sure it is not just me that would like s/w controls .

·
Registered
89 Posts
I would of thought it is doable, just need to find -
1. What connections go to the radio.
2. Whether the steering colum connections from a beetle will fit the up.
3. Cost of steering wheel.
4. And lastly how many of the buttons will work with the up radio.
I would also like steering controls but only if it is doable and not to expensive

·
Registered
101 Posts
I'll pop to VW tomorrow - I'm sure ill be given the stock answer of no but you never know....

·
Registered
89 Posts
I was also thinking, is there anything in the VAG system that can or has to be adjusted for it to work?˜�

1 - 20 of 26 Posts