Up Owners Club banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
<div style="text-align: center;"><b style="color: rgb0, 0, 255; font-family: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; line-height: 33px; font-size: x-large; ">10 speaker Sound System upgrade for my 'Take up!'[/b]
<div style="text-align: center;">

<div style="text-align: center;">I've completed the Sound System upgrade to my base 'Take up!' and it is now really wonderful.

<div style="text-align: center;">The Rear Speakers [ Triple Speaker Unit Bass/Mid/Tweeter ]..

<div style="text-align: center;">The Front Speakers [ Dual unit Medium/Tweeter.].

<div style="text-align: center;">Here's the complete build forum link ...

<div style="text-align: center;">http://www.upownersclub.co.uk/forum/diy-sound-upgrade-to-take-up_topic438.html

<div style="text-align: center;">Dave

·
Registered
421 Posts
Wow, that's great - you'll certainly be heard from a way off!!!
Thanks for the post I've paid for the upgrade but knowing the other half he'll want to put more in and you managed 10 - he'll want the same......

·
Registered
120 Posts
Has anyone without the speaker pack in a Move up / High up looked behind the back panel yet ?
The complicated bit in the speaker installation seems to be in connecting the wires to the radio, however the take up does not have the sound pack as an option but the others do - maybe the wiring is in place for the higher models - just a thought !!

·
Registered
109 Posts
I like your thinking, hopefully they are, i will be pulling our white apart this week to fit rear speakers so I shall report my findings!

·
Registered
120 Posts
Ashy87 said:
I like your thinking, hopefully they are, i will be pulling our white apart this week to fit rear speakers so I shall report my findings!
Excellent, I do like others to rush in first (I don't get my move up for a few weeks). If a wire does exist I would appreciate a photo plus exact size of the speakerhole. I would rather get a speaker the correct size & not modify anything !!

·
Registered
553 Posts
Just exactly which part of these post do you guys read ???????

Stainless has gone to great lengths and explained in painful detail ALLLLLLLL the information you need!

I suggest you get your mum or dad to help you re-read the posts!

PFFTT!!

rant over.

·
Registered
120 Posts
M5 SUT said:

Stainless has gone to great lengths and explained in painful detail ALLLLLLLL the information you need!

PFFTT!!

rant over.
And if you reread my post, you will see hat I say that the takeup does not have a sound pack (amongst other things) as an option.

It is not beyond the wit of man (or VW) to have more than 1 type of wiring loom.

The question was simple, has anyone with a car other than a take up looked behind the rear panel.

·
Registered
553 Posts
davidw said:
M5 SUT said:

PFFTT!!

rant over.
And if you reread my post, you will see hat I say that the takeup does not have a sound pack (amongst other things) as an option.

It is not beyond the wit of man (or VW) to have more than 1 type of wiring loom.

The question was simple, has anyone with a car other than a take up looked behind the rear panel.
Oh yeh!

Just got me MUM to read me your post!!!!

(sorry mouth's full of humble pie)

And thats a good point !!!

·
Registered
120 Posts
no problem, I am too late to order a sound pack for my Move Up and am hoping that there is a simple solution for me !!

·
Registered
8 Posts
i have looked behind my move up,s rear speaker grill thing and there is no obvious speakerwiringcertainly no wires with connectors on them oranythingready ,all i could see was the wires for the back seat belts and another loom all taped up going straight to the back of the car , shame as it would of been easy ,, ps if you want to look your self just put the back seat forward and put your hand round the side plastic and pull , not easy and sharp but i took mine of andrefittedit with no tools

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
davidw said:
Ashy87 said:
Excellent, I do like others to rush in first (I don't get my move up for a few weeks). If a wire does exist I would appreciate a photo plus exact size of the speakerhole. I would rather get a speaker the correct size & not modify anything !!

Hi davidw

Funny.. I'm a davidw too

You can fit 4" and 5" speakers directly into the rear panels no probs. BUT only if they are flat across the front. Most twin or triple units [ mine have 6" Bass plus front mounted Mid and Tweeter units ] have the small speakers mounted on the front and they protrude a little. So these units need to be held back a little from the face of the plastic panel. Hence you need to add a spacer/adaptor plate.
You then need to seal around the units to get the best from the bass unit as the sound compression waves will leak to the rear of the speaker if you let them and lessen the bottom notes. Hence my modifications to create the small standoff.

If you can get a twin or triple speaker unit that is flat across the front then they should fit directly. You will still have to improvise a little to fasten the speakers as most rely on a few bolts or screws to come through the mounting panel to the rear... or from the rear to hold on a speaker mesh surround on the front.. A messy solution me thinks, possibly having screw heads visible in the cabin, or additional speaker mesh. Simple to sort though.. just put a few screws through the speaker tabs already on the rear of the panel to secure the speaker unit and the inside of the up! keeps its clean crisp look, but with ass kickin' notes !!

Hope this helps in your quest...

Dave

·
Registered
235 Posts
This is what I meant in an earlier message that I can't find!!!, is it possible to have a search box so that those of us that can't remember where we saw it can search for info of questions/problems ??

·
Registered
235 Posts
In my polo was advised to have padding in boot to stop vibration/noise and giving that awful sound when your outside the car and here the back shelf banging :) any extra advice if upgrading speakers???

·
Registered
120 Posts
wingnut1574 said:
i have looked behind my move up,s rear speaker grill thing and there is no obvious speakerwiringcertainly no wires with connectors on them oranythingready ,all i could see was the wires for the back seat belts and another loom all taped up going straight to the back of the car , shame as it would of been easy ,, ps if you want to look your self just put the back seat forward and put your hand round the side plastic and pull , not easy and sharp but i took mine of andrefittedit with no tools
Shame, it looks like the comment about each up having a customised wiring loom was correct This may save money for VW, however is a pain for later modifications !!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts