Up Owners Club banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I’m having trouble finding the right iso lead for my car. It’s a 2014 high up without steering wheel controls or maps and more. Halfords have tried selling me one with steering wheel controls as that’s what it says when they put my reg in. I have attached a picture of the connection on the car so if you could help me if anyone had the same cable for the stereo that would be great.
thank you

Attachments

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
And another YouTube video which the quad lock is different to mine. Don’t understand what the extra blue part of it is for on mine if none of the others have it.
EBBED7FC-C817-4470-B4AE-158CB923DB2E.png

·
Registered
286 Posts
Hi there,
According to the workshop manual that blue piece is a 'Multi-pin connector 4, 12-pin, AUX audio input, CD changer control and CD audio input signals'. The yellow one above it is 'Multi-pin connector 1, 8-pin, loudspeaker outputs' and the grey one to the left of the yellow one is 'Multi-pin connector 2, 8-pin, voltage supply, CAN bus'. You are missing the connector for telephone input (would be to the left of the blue one), which agrees with your description of the car being without the sat nav system. The cable your connector attaches to is a one-piece unit together with the plate in the central dash where the sat nav would sit it you had the unit. There is nothing in there about steering wheel controls in the workshop manual, but you may need a cable with the missing connector to get your controls to work, in which case you will need a new cable. I am currently struggling with ETKA to get you the part number, but others on here will be able to help with that.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Thanks for the reply. I have no steering wheel controls so just need the standard adaptor lead. I’ve bought 2 off eBay following a video on YouTube before realising mine was different because of that blue piece. Neither of the eBay leads would lock in to place as they have a bar across where the blue piece is.
97901B51-3CA6-498A-8DCF-409D0B380946.jpeg

I have also found the same connection on a vw eos forum from 2013 but they do not list the part number of the iso harness that they used.
FCB8E4BE-645A-4211-A94B-DFA3A25F70B3.jpeg

·
Registered
286 Posts
Thanks for the update. I'm on the road at the moment but I will try to work out what needs to talk to what to get your radio working again, probably with some mods to your eBay connectors. Unlikely to be before tomorrow, though, so if anyone else can chip in, please do.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Having looked at several different adaptors listed as being compatible with Up!s (e.g. this one), none of them appear to have parts that mate with the blue section on your harness. The same adaptor is also compatible with a very long list of VW models, suggesting it's a pretty standard design. It is possible that the Up!'s OEM radio is 'special' amongst similar-aged VWs in wiring the Aux input this way and the adaptor manufacturers didn't know that. More likely it's because that blue section is designed to work with the Aux input of the OEM radio, newer radios don't use the same system, so there's no need to use that connection through the adaptor (unlike the speakers and voltage supply), so they've just ignored it. If the adaptor will not attach properly with the blue part in place, then you have 2 options:
  • remove whichever part of the adaptor cannot insert properly because the blue part is in the way (this leaves the car's harness intact, plus you've got 2 adaptors so if anything goes wrong you can try again)
  • try to remove the blue part of the car's harness so that the adaptor attaches properly (wouldn't do this unless you're absolutely sure you won't need the OEM radio again and/or you don't mind replacing the harness if it goes wrong).

·
Registered
286 Posts
Not entirely daft - the sat nav is wired through the same harness when installed, but not the blue bit. There would be another connector in the hole to the left of the blue bit in the first photo, which is missing because they don't have Maps+More (see the second line of Chromeup's first post).

·
Registered
69 Posts
No, is noticed that they don't have the optional unit which fits in the dash, but even if not it's still wired and "live" on the dash, even if it's not connected. Just thought to myself that it might be the cable to connect to dash to the head unit.

Rich

·
Registered
286 Posts
If there's no connector in that gap, I would assume the wires that are used by that connector are not in the harness (which is why there are separate part numbers for the do/don't have M&M harnesses). You could almost certainly run wires to/via that connector if they aren't there, though, to retrofit one.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts