Up Owners Club banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone :)
I went and ordered my High Up in midnight blue on saturday with ASG

I only drove the manual which i completely fell in love with, and stupidly assumed the asg would be just as good, I have now been looking at reviews and nearly all have completely slated it?!

Please can someone advise if it is really as bad it is reported???

Many thanks

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
I have had my ASG for just over eighteen months and am well satisfied. You need to realise that it is not an automatic gearbox but an automated clutch and therefore the gear change will not be as seemless as a true automatic. Sadly you only seem to get bad reviews on the site. Come on satisfied ASG drivers give us your opinion.

·
Registered
58 Posts
It depedns of your expectation.You must remember that is not "normal" automatic with hydrokinetic clutch, but robotized manual.

I have up! with ASG for 1.5 year and i love it. Gear change is slower than DSG, but not as bad as people say.

Very good is fuel consumption. Lower than manual!!

·
Registered
18 Posts
It's subjective, I'd really recommend driving one before it's too late to amend your order. I waited for about half an hour while the staff in Warrington VW rearranged several cars to get the only ASG up! out of the far corner of the showroom.
Personally I really like it as it makes sitting/crawling along in traffic on the way to work of a morning slightly more bearable. I think the problem most have with it is that it's a halfway house between a manual and proper automatic gearbox.

If you've got your foot to the floor then the gear changes are really noticeable, although no worse than a driver with a lead foot. I'm just starting to get the hang of anticipating gear changes to be able to ease off the accelerator to make the transitions smoother. However I sometimes wonder under what conditions it's programmed to change gears at; as sometimes it can be a bit of keen changing up gears or a little slow changing down. Although I've not yet found any need to override it. That being said I've only done about 50 miles in mine since picking it up almost three weeks ago.

After reading the owner's manual the thing that concerns me is how quickly does the gearbox overheat. Though it's survived the few morning "rush" hour trips I've made in it so far.

Edited by: Elst

·
Registered
19 Posts
see my threads on ASG and steep hills in technical.. just does not work.. have been all over VW to try and get on their radar.. and before you all jump on me have been driving a SMART for 10 year so know the difference between ASG and true auto.

VW have a serious problem and are not facing up to it as not enough are reporting..

That said on the flat and moderate hills, its ok once you have worked out that the throttle is more of a speed setter.. get to the speed you want and let the computer sort out the gears..

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have owned Two Honda cars, both with I-DRIVE, they are fitted with the same type of Box as the V.W. A.S.G. and I can say BOTH were better than the V.W.
I returned my car and had it tested, and was informed that it was O.K.
HOWEVER AT THE SAME TIME WAS INFORMED THAT A SOFTWARE UP DATE MAY BE AVAILABLE IN THE FUTURE.
Except the gear box I love the car, and think if we all make our feelings known, perhaps v.w. will do something about the problem.
Hope this helps.
Brian

·
Registered
19 Posts
Thjnk the key statement there is "MAY be available"

be interesting to know how many reports they are getting. I been told to get back the the deal "brand manager" .. should be interesting conversation.

do you know if your dealer logged the issue with central VW?

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Mine had a software update last month. Don't know what it was for as I have no issues with ASG.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Beevee said:
Mine had a software update last month. Don't know what it was for as I have no issues with ASG.

That would probably have been for the ECU update for the fan.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
I had two updates one for the ECU and another for the ASG.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Ive read a lot of bad reviews for small inexpensive,cars with automated clutches, i..e jerky driving.
If you want a smooth proper automatic get a CSV automatic gearbox, i.e. honda jazz, nissan micra or toyota IQ
Having said all that if you have to have a vw up and dont live near steep hills then the ASG might be preferable to a manual gearbox. I loved my old automatic jazz , so easy to drive,
my new manual mii is fun , but in a traffic jam its no fun at allEdited by: lumsdot

1 - 12 of 12 Posts