Up Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are currently interviewing at work. The amount of people, young and old, who can't string a sentence together with correct spelling and grammar is horrendous.

CV's with mistakes, hand written applications containing Tipex and crossing out, absolutely dismal.

A certain suspected troll just made me think how bad people are at using their own language.

Typos are one thing, but really, making mistakes with basic words such as their, they're and there, really? As my daughter says 'we did that in junior school!'Edited by: bugbabe34

·
Super Moderator
3,147 Posts
Here here, just people who don't know they're sh*t from their sh*t !

·
Registered
421 Posts
And then there's the bizarre answers when they get into interview...we work in credit control, genuine answer to 2 questions

What do you like about credit control
Being able to email my brother in Australia, because of the time difference it's hard to keep track for his replies at night

What don't you like about credit control
Ringing all those customers and asking for money, I don't really like that it makes me uncomfortable

Needless to say she didn't get the job

·
Super Moderator
3,147 Posts
When interviewing for a new receptionist at my busy medical practice, the first question I was asked was, where do I sit at reception......you don't sit, you are too busy, the retort I got was well, I'll need to have plenty of breaks because I find the public so tiresome!Ha ha...goodbye!

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think there's too much 'I had to come else my benefits would stop' attitude going on.

Zumbaqueen and Privatedoc: : priceless

Also, why don't people tailor their CVs anymore? I don't know what they are taught at the job centre and at school nowadays but it's not CV writing.

I don't mind text talk, in a text with someone else who uses it, I have a teenage daughter, so can cope with most shortenings! But it does make them lazy. I found a basic, general spelling and grammar test online (mostly spelling) and are asking apprentices to complete it, before I will consider them for employment, the results are not good. It's an interesting little test, takes about 5 minutes, I will post the link later for anyone who would like to give it a try.

·
Super Moderator
3,147 Posts
Agree, text talk is fine for texts! Thankfully I'm fortunate enough to be able to send my 3 boys to the private school I was lucky enough to go to so I know any shoddy education skills are not down to their teachers.

·
Registered
604 Posts
My wife is a teacher and she is allways comenting on haw many students at a level standards use text speak in essays and even exams but because she is not teaching english she is not aloud to mark them down for it.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I will not make this test !

Otherwise, after reading the result, i will have to jump in the Seine river !

Edited by: filparis15

·
Super Moderator
3,147 Posts
31 got practise and practice mixed up ! doh!

·
Registered
99 Posts
I got 20 right. I hope that I will not be exspelled.

A.

Edited by: alodk

·
Super Moderator
3,147 Posts
I'd get zero if it was in Danish so 20 for a second language is great (or grate or graet). Lol

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
20 for a second language is amazing. An apprentice on interview last week only got 17

·
Registered
727 Posts
The most misspelled word(s) in the English language is "a lot" (most think it's one word "alot").What astonishes me is how many people in this forum misspell "color" and "center"..!!

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I always thought color was the Americanised spelling and colour is the English way

1 - 20 of 44 Posts