Up Owners Club banner
101 - 120 of 173 Posts
I hate shared stuff!
It often becomes a contest to see who is the least irritated by living in a mess, if money needs to spent. And then you have to agree of price, style, quality, suppier etc., - it's why have always avoided leaseholds too!

I hate shared stuff!
It often becomes a contest to see who is the least irritated by living in a mess, if money needs to spent. And then you have to agree of price, style, quality, suppier etc., - it's why have always avoided leaseholds too!

I should have made it clear that the builder owner of the house next door is the guy who fixed the fence, or at least his staff did.

Also the shared fences and front lawn rules are in the lease. Most living round here are elderly and leave things to me the OAP "youngen" to sort out so no problem.

I was offered the opportunity to purchase the lease 25 years ago but i worked out it would have taken me 30 yrs to break even. I am happy to pay the ground rent each year instead as the cost is so small unlike the crazy yearly ground rent cost in most flats in St Annes.

Discussion starter · #104 ·
I took our Saet Mii in for a service and MOT on Monday and at the car dealers next door there was an 18 plate Mercedes G-wagen for sale for only £97,999.00. Bargain!

I was reading a motor trade piece about used values, without going on for ages it basically said everything is up 30% on average (some more, some less) and although it has dropped back over the last 2 or 3 months a little they expect things to remain strong until at least the end of Q3 this year, they don’t expect prices to continue rising apart from a small inflation driven push. Another piece I read said basically the same thing apart from suggesting that Q2 2023 might be the start of ‘the great used car price correction’ as they called it where used values drop back to 30% or more below present. A lot will depend on the return to normality of new car production and how quick that happens.

'62 plate Take Ups selling for over £6k in dealers. VW are keeping virtually all stock no matter how old, as long as it's serviced and hasn't had loads of owners.
The sudden hike in fuel prices will see the price of (relatively) economical cars like the Up remain firm, dismals drop (£1.80 a litre for diesel I saw today!) and the rise in electric prices (and non-availability of overnight tariffs) will see EVs become less attractive. Assuming we're still here in six months I can't see anything changing for the duration. We're heading for £2 per litre unless the govt do something on duty.

Reactions: The_ASH
I'm converting my car to run on an isotope of caesium, which may be freely available soon.

'62 plate Take Ups selling for over £6k in dealers. VW are keeping virtually all stock no matter how old, as long as it's serviced and hasn't had loads of owners.
The sudden hike in fuel prices will see the price of (relatively) economical cars like the Up remain firm, dismals drop (£1.80 a litre for diesel I saw today!) and the rise in electric prices (and non-availability of overnight tariffs) will see EVs become less attractive. Assuming we're still here in six months I can't see anything changing for the duration. We're heading for £2 per litre unless the govt do something on duty.
It’s roughly 80% of petrol and diesel that the government rakes in and I’m told 32% on domestic gas electricity and oil……

In a way it’s immoral to take so much with prices rising on literally a daily basis. They could easily ease the misery that a lot of people are going through.

With the totally insane petrol prices, i can see small city cars like ours, becoming hot property.
As we all know, the Gov receives nearly 90p in the pound in tax revenue, on both fuels, and once prices reach a certain level, they will not suddenly come down to what they were before Covid or the conflict.

On passing the petrol garages on Western Avenue this afternoon, standard petrol has now gone above £1.60 a litre for the first time, and there is no sign that the price has stabilized.

People will still covet and love their thirty gas guzzlers, but i can only see the value of nice example city runabouts, increase, and remain high.

As people see the cost of living for everything go sky high, those who need modes of transport, will probably see small fuel efficient runabouts, a more cost effective option.

A car that tops 60mpg, is cheap to insure, and tax, makes more sense now, than it did a few years ago, when petrol was a lot cheaper.

Heaven knows how much a litre of Shell V Power must be, i paid a dizzy £1.67 a while back, its got to be above £1.70, Crumbs.

With the totally insane petrol prices, i can see small city cars like ours, becoming hot property.
As we all know, the Gov receives nearly 90p in the pound in tax revenue, on both fuels, and once prices reach a certain level, they will not suddenly come down to what they were before Covid or the conflict.

On passing the petrol garages on Western Avenue this afternoon, standard petrol has now gone above £1.60 a litre for the first time, and there is no sign that the price has stabilized.

People will still covet and love their thirty gas guzzlers, but i can only see the value of nice example city runabouts, increase, and remain high.

As people see the cost of living for everything go sky high, those who need modes of transport, will probably see small fuel efficient runabouts, a more cost effective option.

A car that tops 60mpg, is cheap to insure, and tax, makes more sense now, than it did a few years ago, when petrol was a lot cheaper.

Heaven knows how much a litre of Shell V Power must be, i paid a dizzy £1.67 a while back, its got to be above £1.70, Crumbs.
I paid £1,72 yesterday for super unleaded….. Mad 😡

Now spring is here, I'm walking more, but even if fuel was £5 a litre, I'd still use my car for say shopping, dentist etc etc.

Of course, that £1.72 a litre is what test_driver spends each fortnight, when he gets the bus to pick up petrol in a 1 litre bottle from his local fuel station. :)

Now spring is here, I'm walking more, but even if fuel was £5 a litre, I'd still use my car for say shopping, dentist etc etc.

Of course, that £1.72 a litre is what test_driver spends each fortnight, when he gets the bus to pick up petrol in a 1 litre bottle from his local fuel station. :)

I agree. I would still use my car for the once a week drive to Tesco for my weekly shop no matter how much petrol costs.

Where i live people are still driving their 4X4s every day just a few yards to the local Newsagents to pick up the newspaper instead of walking.

On the TV yesterday they spoke about a petrol station in London charging £2-10 a ltr. The Sloan Rangers were still filling up their Chelsea Tractors.

Yes i do fill up an empty 1 ltr milk bottle, but i only put a tea spoon at a time in my tank to last me a month. We must all tighten our belts. Pass me the Caviar and smoked salmon please.

We have no choice but to use our cars. Living out in the sticks means longer journeys but that’s just the way it is …

The Credit Crunch seems to be having an effect on used sales, there seems to be a bit of a downward trend in prices in the last month or so, not much but things aren’t as firm as they were.

There’s more Up GTi’s coming to market, the cheaper ones are selling, the more expensive ones aren’t. The other Up’s are still sitting pretty much at the same prices but compared to previous the average mileage seems to be lower which also points to a small downward trend.

Maybe this is just the effect of the knock on of the new reg year or the car trade winter fallow period but does perhaps point to prices staying flat through the summer and then dropping further once the next energy price hike hits in the autumn.

There is a lot of stock out there just sitting there, equally there are a lot of people out there who progressively have less and less money to spend.

The Credit Crunch seems to be having an effect on used sales, there seems to be a bit of a downward trend in prices in the last month or so, not much but things aren’t as firm as they were.

There’s more Up GTi’s coming to market, the cheaper ones are selling, the more expensive ones aren’t. The other Up’s are still sitting pretty much at the same prices but compared to previous the average mileage seems to be lower which also points to a small downward trend.

Maybe this is just the effect of the knock on of the new reg year or the car trade winter fallow period but does perhaps point to prices staying flat through the summer and then dropping further once the next energy price hike hits in the autumn.

There is a lot of stock out there just sitting there, equally there are a lot of people out there who progressively have less and less money to spend.
The buyers like WBAC and Motorway have reduced the prices they’re offering for my car so your right prices are now falling…..

They may not return to what they were 12 months ago though especially cars sold and bought at increased prices….

The buyers like WBAC and Motorway have reduced the prices they’re offering for my car so your right prices are now falling…..

They may not return to what they were 12 months ago though especially cars sold and bought at increased prices….
You are correct, it’ll take a while for things to really drop plus if you vector in the upward trend of inflation the potential 30% up will never turn into a 30% down.

Certainly with the GTi’s coming to market I think we are seeing cars falling out of the back end of a 3 year finance deal many of which drop straight back into the hands of a VW dealer priced £1.5 to £2k above market value which encourages everyone trade or private to try to also achieve those values and in a time of short supply it’s quite easy to get close, as supply increases if people want to sell they’ll have to get competitive.

101 - 120 of 173 Posts