Up Owners Club banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can I do this?

That is, I'm hiring a car in the south of France this summer. To get SatNav the hire car company wants an extra £184 (seriously - I asked my wife to repeat that when she said it). So that's not an option I'll be taking.

I can probably download an iPhone app which will do the job but wondered if it is possible to take the M&M unit and use it as a standalone item.

I can take a USB charger to charge it while we're there. Obviously I won't have a secure mount for it - but that is unlikely to be a problem as there will always be two adults in the car.

I'm guessing this will work but thought I'd ask first. I need to remember to download the French maps onto it before I go ...

·
Super Moderator
1,051 Posts
Yes, I did this recently with a works Tiguan. I just took a USB lead and a cigarette lighter adaptor and it worked perfectly.

Just make sure that the French maps have no speed camera info on them as its illegal in France...

·
Super Moderator
3,147 Posts
works a treat......wonder if anyone makes a windscreen suction mount? I suppose any universal phone clip type mount would work.

these guys should have something that will work MOUNT

Edited by: Privatedoc

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Brilliant - great tips, both of you.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
I imagine the only problem is charging the unit. As far as iPhone is concerned isn't navigation already installed? Certainly is on my phone.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts