Up Owners Club banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I recently serviced my 2014 Volkswagen Up!, new oil filter, oil change, spark plugs and air filter. When i took the airbox off i noticed a bunch of black gunk over the top of the valve cover, i didn't think much of it but when i took the ignition coils out to access the spark plugs there was oil in the spark plug chamber as well, i've not noticed any oil loss or oil smell owning this car. Any ideas what this could possibly be, i'm thinking possibly valve cover gasket but i'm also not sure because it's in a weird position compared to other cars as the cams are inside the valve cover and the seal is much lower down than the oil is, any ideas?
Thanks,
Zdos123

·
Registered
2,702 Posts
Is it possible the oil fill cap is leaky or incorrectly seated?

If the oil is clean, it may have been a spill from a previous top up, maybe?

I'm not sure where the crankcase breather pipe runs, or where the PCV lives, but either could possibly have a leak...

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Is it possible the oil fill cap is leaky or incorrectly seated?

If the oil is clean, it may have been a spill from a previous top up, maybe?

I'm not sure where the crankcase breather pipe runs, or where the PCV lives, but either could possibly have a leak...
The oil is filthy it's black and dirty as ****, I'll have a look around the engine bay a bit more in detail tomorrow.

·
Registered
2,702 Posts
Not a spill then!
I'm hoping it's not a gasket, but something easier to sort, like the breather pipe (if it's anywhere near!). I assume it's the MPi engine and not a turbo model?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts