Up Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
957 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had my UP! in the summer and wasn't it was a good one.
Windows down or aircon on everything seemed ok.

Now it's getting colder and wetter I have noticed how easy it is to get steamed up windows on the UP.
It's not hard to clear by opening the window or putting the aircon/heater on but the natural ventilation could be better.
I assume it is the same for all of you and there's not much we can do about it, I will just have to leave the heater fan on more !

Edited by: Derkie54

·
Registered
438 Posts
Derkie54 said:
Had my UP! in the summer and wasn't it was a good one.
Windows down or aircon on everything seemed ok.

Now it's getting colder and wetter I have noticed how easy it is to get steamed up windows on the UP.
It's not hard to clear by opening the window or putting the aircon/heater on but the natural ventilation could be better.
I assume it is the same for all of you and there's not much we can do about it, I will just have to leave the heater fan on more !
Mine is not a problem, but then, I'm not a heavy breather

Set the sunroof to tilt and it helps the ventilation. If you haven't got a sunroof, you really should have.
Edited by: Scrubnut

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Never been a problem for me but then I leave the air conditioning on all the time as I have done with all my cars. Air conditioning and temperature are two separate things so it is not only when you want cold air that you would condition the air.

·
Registered
957 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I agree with you beevee the aircon can be used in the winter with the heater as it reduces the moisture of the incoming air.
The issue I have is that previous cars had a good ram effect when driving and the UP doesn't but like you I will leave my aircon/heater/blower on.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Every car I've owned would get steamed up if blower turned off. Always leave on no.1 setting at least. Have u got the slider control to let fresh air in? If its set closed it will be even worse unless aircon on.

·
Registered
957 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Always have the slider letting fresh air in and as I say the problem is easily sorted but it's not the best car for ventilation.
By the way Scrubnut I am not a heavy breather
Edited by: Derkie54

·
Registered
583 Posts
I couldn't get the fog off the windows during my test drive with the up! - cold & wet - and that time has returned.

The A/C is likely going to see more use in autumn than in summer.

·
Registered
36 Posts
There were a huge number of posts under various thread headings about this last winter. Steamed up windows are a major problem with the up! Lots of different views on the solution - no agreement.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Found the two threads from last year -
One in the Main Message section is 'Clearing Moisture from the Windscreen', the other is under Technical and is 'Windscreen Clearing Problem'. Needless to say views differ as to the solution

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Mine was bad last year but so where all my cars, this year I have bought rainx anti fog or something and I'm going to give that ago apparently it's all in the preparation with rain x! Bad prep bad results that last for ever

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Royal Windsor said:
Found the two threads from last year -
One in the Main Message section is 'Clearing Moisture from the Windscreen', the other is under Technical and is 'Windscreen Clearing Problem'. Needless to say views differ as to the solution
Views may differ. All I can say is I have never had moisture or misting on my Up!'s windscreen apart from starting up on very cold mornings. This clears in a couple of minutes and is not what I consider to be a problem. It probably is to those drivers who scrap a little circle of ice from their windscreens and drive off with hardly any vision.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Itzben said:
Bad prep bad results that last for ever
Yup. Just like picking a wife. If she's not nubile at 30 then God help you at 60

·
Registered
727 Posts
Set the slider to circulate the interior air and you'll get moisture on your windscreen, set it to fresh external air and the windscreen clears up almost instantly. My last car (Lupo) would kick the windscreen defroster position to off whenever the slider was set to circulate to avoid this problem, I was surprised to see my up! was able to work (poor choice of words in this case) the defrosters when set to circulate.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Our Take Up has no air con.No problems as yet with windscreen misting .I do always have the fan on at least No 1.As the winter progresses I will keep you all informed!

Go well.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
With my VW Lupo "steam by breathing" is a problem as I have only 1.5 miles to work ...

As a motorbike rider I put my scarf onto nose and mouth.
This helps a lot because most of the "steam" stays in the scarf and the windows stay clear.
A helmet visor is much more prone to "mist" ...

·
Registered
52 Posts
Windscreen demisting is poor and slow compared to very other car we've owned. Air con helps of course but it seems a retrogressive step in this day and age. Only 2 vents on the dash is not exactly generous either.

·
Registered
176 Posts
I've so far found the de-misting ability of the Up! to be on a par with other vehicles I've owned.

Going off on a slight tangent, both my wife and I have quickly begun to appreciate the warmth provided by the heated seats whilst we sit, waiting for the windscreen to clear, on these increasingly cold late Autumn mornings/evenings.

·
Registered
438 Posts
I had a heated windscreen on the last car which took 10 seconds to demist. After that everything is a bit rubbish

·
Registered
296 Posts
Yes - lovely the quickclear screen I had on a Ford Fiesta. Came in especially useful when we ran into a sudden patch of freezing fog. Instant clear screen. Then we met those without - they were up the banking or the crash barrier of the M6.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Before test driving the up!, I'd never have though I'd be using the AC in winter, but here we are ...

Better check for damp interior spots, VW don't seem to be making them all waterproof.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts