Up Owners Club banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
I am still waiting for my Up to be delivered but I am sure I have read somewhere that the M&M can play video from the SD card.

Has anyone tried this? I guess MP4 video?

Please let me know if this is true, would be able to rip DVD's onto SD card and keep the kids quiet.

·
Registered
705 Posts
With the location that it's plugged into the dash, thus in full view of the driver, I'd like to think that the possibility of video is absolutely forbidden.

Nick

·
Registered
79 Posts
Collas said:
With the location that it's plugged into the dash, thus in full view of the driver, I'd like to think that the possibility of video is absolutely forbidden.

Nick
Yes it would be and completely illegal and for that matter I very much dough video is possible. Don't think garmin who make m & m woul allow this feature to be possible.Edited by: Grant25

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
It's navigon isn't it, not garmin. And it's not illegal to have a unit with video capability, especially since it's a portable unit, it would simply be illegal to watch it whilst driving. Have you never seen DVD head units? Plenty of company's sell those.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Sorry my mistake meant navigon.

Yes DVD head units are around but will only work with the hand brake on. To have any video footage in the drivers view whilst the vehicle is moving is illegal. Therefore for the use the op wants to have I.e whilst driving to entertain kids and the way m&m is fixed which can't be adjusted means it would be in there view.

For these reason I highly dough that navigon would include this feature.

·
Registered
705 Posts
Garmin owns Navigon.

Nick

·
Registered
727 Posts
Collas said:
Garmin owns Navigon.

Now if only they'd nuke everything associated with Navigon..!! I love my Garmin 3790, a far superior looking and user friendly device.

·
Super Moderator
3,147 Posts
Video codecs and hardware aren't there.....simple way to entertain kids is a cheapy tablet comp and let them watch in the back....safest too

·
Registered
727 Posts
I'll be soon taking delivery of a new iPad mini (white) which I'd love to fit into the dash of my up! white.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
This is from Car-Auto website where I first thought maybe video was possible.........

The menu "Media". + more maps with the RCD 215 can connect the following sources of music with the speakers up!: radio, SD card slot (for cards up to 32 GB) MP3 Player system RCD 215th It is also possible to present images and movies from the SD card. Users of iPod or iPhone can play music from your device via Bluetooth (streaming):
""¢ in terms of optical presentation of individual media features maps + more offers new options unprecedented in cars, for example, radio stations can be viewed traditionally as the inscriptions of the names or alternatively as a station logo (current logo of the station can be downloaded at any time by Navigon Fresh )
""¢ Like MP3 players, you can view your album art playback from SD card
""¢ images can be displayed on the screen maps + more as a slideshow
""¢ radio and audio options can be easily set using the menu "Media" and touch screen.

However I do agree with concerns over safety issues if videao was possible.

·
Registered
114 Posts
This is what I found in the online manual of the SEAT Portable System (probably 99% identical to the M&M):

12.2.1 Supported audio files
You can control the play back of audio CDs which have been inserted in the CD player of the navigation device. Also, you can play back audio files in the following formats:
MP3, WMA, OGG Vorbis, AAC, FLAC

12.4 Pictures
The navigation device can show image files which are saved on a
memory card which is inserted in the device.

12.4.1 Suitable files
The picture viewer can show files in the following formats: BMP, GIF, JPEG, JPG, PNG, TIF, TIFF.
Pictures for the picture viewer must not have more than 2048 x 1536 pixels.

They are also subject to file size limitations:
File format / Max. size
JPG, JPEG, BMP / 4 MB
All others /1 MB

1 - 12 of 12 Posts