Up Owners Club banner

21 - 40 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
I may have a busy retired life, but I'm losing the plot on this one...

As far as I know, it has always been true that you will get a better resale price, or at least a much larger audience, for a standard-ish car. Mods, especially visible ones, are self-indulgent (nothing wrong with that), but will not be to the taste of everyone in the market, so being able to restore a car to a more original form after "having one's fun" with it, and selling the "extra bits" on, seems sensible to me.... In a nutshell please, what am I not getting on this thread?

·
Registered
288 Posts
It's just the way he gets... Practically told me I would die or my car would self destruct if I put some lowering springs on it....
I don't see any issues with this and of course he needs people's standard parts and is going to charge a small fee for swapping them over! Without doing so he's left with a car with several bits missing.
Volkswizard is far too honest not to tell the next buyer about the cars history and price accordingly but some people instantly jump to it's a shady conspiracy type mentality :sleep:

·
Registered
119 Posts
It's just the way he gets... Practically told me I would die or my car would self destruct if I put some lowering springs on it....
I don't see any issues with this and of course he needs people's standard parts and is going to charge a small fee for swapping them over! Without doing so he's left with a car with several bits missing.
Volkswizard is far too honest not to tell the next buyer about the cars history and price accordingly but some people instantly jump to it's a shady conspiracy type mentality :sleep:
I think in essence what has got Jacara's goat here is the fact that the number plate of the "offending" car was obscured. A fair point for the impartial observer to read into whatever he will ...

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Hello Mark,

I really can’t recall ever telling you anything of the sort, and having made suspension modifications to my own vehicles over the years, I really doubt that I did. I do however recall you starting a thread which mentioned that you had ordered some suspension components and were then seeking advice from other forum members regarding their fitment, to which my advice was to either employ the services of someone who knows what they’re doing, or leave well alone. I can understand that you may have taken slight offence to my advice but your accusation is unquestionably an over-reaction, and far from the truth. For clarification, perhaps you could quote my post that you’re referring to ?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
I think in essence what has got Jacara's goat here is the fact that the number plate of the "offending" car was obscured. A fair point for the impartial observer to read into whatever he will ...
Hello Spook,

Thanks for your comment, but really, nothing has “got my goat”.

I’m merely commenting on the fact that someone with an excellent reputation is openly engaging in a practice which, whilst it may be commonplace within the industry and would mean nothing to your average car trader, in my opinion, does very little for his reputation as a retailer.

It’s no secret that there’s no shortage of unscrupulous car traders, and I would say it’s a little disappointing to see a reputable one besmirch his hard earned reputation by turning to something which could be regarded as questionable in bid to maximise his profit margin on one particular car.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Possibly crossed wires but the car was worked on by a Porsche main dealer and the hunter tracking system had no settings specific for the GTI hence the question. All was done to the highest standard and the car was looked after to a level you wouldn't usually get thanks to the family member knowing how OCD I am :geek:

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Possibly crossed wires but the car was worked on by a Porsche main dealer and the hunter tracking system had no settings specific for the GTI hence the question. All was done to the highest standard and the car was looked after to a level you wouldn't usually get thanks to the family member knowing how OCD I am :geek:
Thank you for the screenshots of that particular thread Mark, and I’m glad to hear that you were satisfied with the outcome of the event. However, having read through the thread I still can’t see anywhere where I (sic) “practically told you that you would die or your car would self destruct if you put some lowering springs on it“, or even suggested anything close to that. You mention “Possibly crossed wires”. I don’t see how the advice I offered could be transcribed into your accusation, no matter how many wires you may have crossed.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
It looks like deposit now received for SK19JGR ! ... Although rather unusually, “INFO HERE” is missing.

I was actually looking forward to reading the “INFO” on this car ! 😀

·
Registered
170 Posts
No idea how you get to that number. I just had my quote updated (it was a few months old) and the total was only around £100 more than my original quote 🤨
Below is without lumbar or heating.
The seats are £769 each

The tailored, adjustable Cobra Nogaro Side Mounts have been developed specifically for your UP and the Nogaro seats. These are £299 per frame.

Tartan trim is £80 a seat.

£2,296 for the pair.

·
Registered
288 Posts
I don't think they are the Welsh guy talked **** Jacara preaches a bit! Not an insult just a simple answer to the question

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
I don't think they are the Welsh guy talked **** Jacara preaches a bit! Not an insult just a simple answer to the question
If we’re now resorting to summarising the general approach of other forum members, then I’ve one to add to the list ..

Mark.cup makes completely fabricated and unsubstantiated accusations, as is quite clear from post #22 and onwards !

Not an insult, just a fact.

·
Registered
597 Posts
You come across as socially awkward are you on the spectrum? if you are just say and we can all act accordingly.
Quite an awkward comment to make. If you believe someone is on 'the spectrum', as you clumsilly mentioned, then why not treat that person with some respect. I do not care if someone on a forum may or may not have autism, or any other 'condition'. If someones comments lead you to that conclusion, then just ignore the comments you do not like.
Casting aspertions about people on 'the spectrum' is certainly not what I want to hear on a car forum.
Heated debate, and sometimes very heated debates, are what I like about car forums. Great to get a bit of passion going. Just because someone may be acting differently from you does not mean they have a disabilty that has to be declared, so to be treated 'accordingly'.
Anyway, rant over. Just your post hit a nerve.

21 - 40 of 45 Posts