Up Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know if there's any difference between (expensive) VW Roadside Assistance and the much cheaper product direct from the RAC. Many of us will now be getting those letters asking us to renew after a free year with a cheapest rate of £89 for annual single payment direct debit. The equivalent cover from RAC is £29.99. Given that its the RAC who come when you call out the VW people I'm wondering if they have a special VW unit operating out of RAC HQ. or are they perhaps just having a laugh?!

·
Registered
430 Posts
yapmaul said:
Does anyone know if there's any difference between (expensive) VW Roadside Assistance and the much cheaper product direct from the RAC. Many of us will now be getting those letters asking us to renew after a free year with a cheapest rate of £89 for annual single payment direct debit. The equivalent cover from RAC is £29.99. Given that its the RAC who come when you call out the VW people I'm wondering if they have a special VW unit operating out of RAC HQ. or are they perhaps just having a laugh?!
Are you sure the £29.99 RAC provides the same level of cover, it sounds like the price for recovery only which will only get you home or to a garage within a certain radius. It doesn't include call outs at your home, onward travel etc..

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The letter and booklet they send out are VERY hard to understand, but as far as I can see what you get for £89 is basic Roadside Assistance ie no recovery or home start etc. interestingly, they say this represents a 60% discount on comparable one year standard cover from the RAC at an eye-watering £350! Who has ever paid that for roadside assistance? This looks to me to be about as good value as Lifeshine or Gap insurance, but please tell me if I'm wrong.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
The first year free breakdown cover includes home start and European cover. I would have thought the renewal offered would be on the same basis. Renewal is not mandatory so if you don't like what is offered dont renew.

·
Registered
430 Posts
I've just checked and the basic RAC package is really a waist of £29.99, it will only take you 10 miles if your car breaks down then its down to you. I can only assume they include this ridiculous level of cover in order that they can put big adverts and posters everywhere advertising cover FROM £29.99. I also know the similar priced AA cover offers the same useless service. In the past I've used money supermarket to search for the best deals, you can select the options you require and then compare prices, it also gives information on average call out times too, there are loads if options other than RAC or AA.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Check your banking benefits. I get Green Flag coverage on all cars registered to my address as part of my current account package as well as family annual holiday insurance. Sometimes a paid-for current account can actually save you money.

Nick

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Beevee said:
The first year free breakdown cover includes home start and European cover. I would have thought the renewal offered would be on the same basis. Renewal is not mandatory so if you don't like what is offered dont renew.
Thanks, that's what I was trying to figure out. It's really not that clear in the letter they send you. I'm still curious to know if the RAC have a special VW team. I've had breakdown cover from at least 5 different organisations over the years and the only difference I've found has been price. Don't know what anyone else has found?

·
Registered
124 Posts
I have used VW assist once came when they said they would but it is a free service so hard to compare , I am also in the ADAC the best motoring organisation in the world and excellent value for money not available to join if you live in the UK would consider the RAC and AA rip offs for what they charge. .

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Breakdown cover is like insurance, you don't know how good it is until you need to use it. I know I could get cheaper car insurance but I have always been very satisfied with the insurance provided by Direct Line. They have also provided me with breakdown cover which again has been very satisfactory. If VW are using RAC I would imagine they do so because they provide a good service.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Its also a good idea to see if your insurance company does a recovery service and get a quote from them. LV quotes £25 for roadside assist, upto Home assist/recovery and European cover for £99. I went for the home assist/UK recovery for £69 package.
JY1

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi yapmaul, I may be able to help <?: prefix = v ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:vml" /></v:stroke></v:f></v:f></v:f></v:f></v:f></v:f></v:f></v:f></v:f></v:f></v:f></v:f></v:ulas></v:path><?: prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:lock aspectratio="t" v:ext="edit"></o:lock></v:shape></v:></v:shape>

RAC does provide the Volkswagen Assistance Product and it isn't justRAC sticking a Volkswagen logo onto our product !RAC also work very closelywith Audi, Skoda and Volkswagen Commercial.

At the roadside we have 89 dedicated Volkswagen Group Patrols which all havethe Volkswagen Groupdiagnostickit on board and Volkswagen Grouptrained techinicans. These are the silver Transporters, not sure if you have seen one? However, if it's a simple puncture we will send whatever the closest resource RAC have available. We also run a dedicated Assistance contact center for Volkswagen Group.

RAC work very closely with Volkswagen in the UK and the factories throughout the world to exchange as much technical data as possible. In the unlikely event of your Up needing assistance we are in the best position possible to help.

In terms of price the offer you have can't be beaten on a like for like basis - the product includes Roadside, Recovery, At Home, Onward travel and European. All this for £89 is exceptional value. The cover available mirrors the one year complimentary coverwhich came with your Up.One of the reason we can do this so cheaply is Volkswagensare reliable!

I will stop now as I could really bore for England on this! I hope this answers your question and please let me know if you want one of the team to talk you through the difference in cover.

The reason I know this? I am part of the team that work for RAC on the Volkswagen Group Account !

·
Registered
124 Posts
I do not thing 89ukps is cheap I pay less than this for ADAC world cover on any car that I drive it pays air fares medical bills transport for you and your car and any passager back to base if they cannot repair it .You should also tell your operatives that they work for the RAC as the one time I have used assist in the UK the operative said he worked direct for VW.I have no comlaints about the service I received it was very good but so it should be.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Sounds really good Andrew. How many times have you used it? If the answer is never then you only know its cheap not how good it is!

·
Registered
124 Posts
Over the years I have used it numerous times it is second to none Google ADAC it makes UK firms look like Noddies little helpers.That is not to say VW assist UK is bad because its not but what happens when you have to pay as opposed to it being free for two years.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Thanks for that Andrew. How much cheaper is it and how does it work if I break down in East Anglia? I never drive abroad.

·
Registered
124 Posts
You cannot join unless you have an address in Germany (look at the web site it may have changed) but then you just call a free phone number no matter where you are in the world I have used it on a hire car in Texas and my German car in the UK with absolutely no problems.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
In other words it may be cheaper and the dogs whatnots but is absolutely no use to a UK citizen.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Sorry. My mistake. I thought because I was posting on www.upownersclub.co.uk that I was posting on a site for UK owners.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts