Up Owners Club banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there,

Hoping I can get a bit of help here, I know nothing about cars and my Groove up! is my first car, I bought it because I thought VW's were meant to be reliable and robust and like i said, I know nothing about cars.... also I love the sound system.

I've owned it for 2 years now and my second battery has just gone on it, if I don't drive it for a week it needs jump starting. I did 200 miles on Friday, came back to it Sunday and it's dead again.

Just wondering if this is standard? Is there something I can do? Also wondering if it is the battery after all? Is there something else that could be going on? Is there a known fault on these that it could be? It seems to me to be a tiny tiny battery for a lot to be running off (especially with the fender sound system).

Cheers in advance for any help

·
Registered
732 Posts
Not standard at all. There's something other than the battery amiss.
Something is draining it so that's where you need to look. Maybe an auto electrician needs to check it out after it's been charged, to see what's draining the battery. How many miles has the car done , and how old is it ?
Maybe your starter motor, or starter solenoid is on the way out. Seen it before on othere cars. With a full battery, the solenoid will operate, but not with a battery that's less than topped up.

Reactions: wattupwill

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not standard at all. There's something other than the battery amiss.
Something is draining it so that's where you need to look. Maybe an auto electrician needs to check it out after it's been charged, to see what's draining the battery. How many miles has the car done , and how old is it ?
Maybe your starter motor, or starter solenoid is on the way out. Seen it before on othere cars. With a full battery, the solenoid will operate, but not with a battery that's less than topped up.
Hi there, thanks for the reply... it's a 2014 plate which just did it's 42,00th mile. Normally when the battery goes the car is completely dead by now the lights on the dashboard are still coming on and there's a feint one time click which is not normally there when the battery goes. My mechanic wants me to just get a new battery but I feel like he's leading me on a bit there...

·
Registered
732 Posts
With 42000 miles, and 6 years old, but having had a new battery, it could well be the starter solenoid BUT get it checked out by a friendly auto electrician before you buy. There may also be others on here coming to chime in shortly.. It should not need another battery after 12 months, in any case, it would be in warranty.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
With 42000 miles, and 6 years old, but having had a new battery, it could well be the starter solenoid BUT get it checked out by a friendly auto electrician before you buy. There may also be others on here coming to chime in shortly.. It should not need another battery after 12 months, in any case, it would be in warranty.
Thank you for your advice I very much appreciate it, at least I can try to sound like I know what I'm talking about to a mechanic and not get stung ;)

·
Registered
64 Posts
Hi mate
I had a 2014 Groove Up which had a similar issue. I replaced the battery as i thought it was that. I used it 2 weeks and the car done the same just no start.
I took the battery off fully charged it and put it back on. I drove down to my local Halfords and they have a free service which checks your Battery, Alternator and Starter Motor.
It came back as the Alternator. I got that changed at a local garage and it was spot on after that. Loads of people don't recommend Halofrd's but there battery Yuasssa Battery Test Machine is spot on. Hope this helps

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi mate
I had a 2014 Groove Up which had a similar issue. I replaced the battery as i thought it was that. I used it 2 weeks and the car done the same just no start.
I took the battery off fully charged it and put it back on. I drove down to my local Halfords and they have a free service which checks your Battery, Alternator and Starter Motor.
It came back as the Alternator. I got that changed at a local garage and it was spot on after that. Loads of people don't recommend Halofrd's but there battery Yuasssa Battery Test Machine is spot on. Hope this helps
Fantastic thank you, I'll take it down to Halfords ASAP.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Definitely alternator.. if you have a voltmeter check voltage on battery when fully charged and not running then start the engine.. it should be around 12volts when not running and 14volts when running. Either way higher when running and of not your alternator is knackered.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
185 Posts
Alternators are not cheap, but usually the fault is usually the diode pack. With a bit of effort/research, you can probably sort out the diodes for a few quid....

1 - 10 of 10 Posts