Up Owners Club banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There are those that say you should not get the sports pack as the stiffer suspension, bigger rims and lower ride with resulting limited suspension movement make the ride jittery and less able to absorb the punishment of city speed bumps, potholes and the lock.
To those I say bah humbug!

The handling with the sports pack is an absolute dream. Stig eat your heart out.

As a former owner of a Renault GT5 Turbo and other hot hatches of that classic 80's period before family commitments took the fun out of motoring I can say with complete honesty that VW has got the set up perfect on the Up! and I am reliving those sportier times without the massive expense (insurance, petrol, servicing, parts) that used to go with it.

I do agree that at town speeds the ride is jittery but no more so than any other car with sports pretensions. The light weight and incredibly stiff body probably do not help here. The body is probably a lot stiffer than many of the Up!'s bigger sporty competitors but the advantage of this is that if you give the suspension its head it is being allowed do all the work on its own at peak efficiency rather than being compromised by a wallowing and flexing body.

Take the Up! into the country onto the B roads and country lanes and it has the ability to maintain highish speeds because you don't have to slow down to corner. It has go cart type qualities with little body roll and offers fantastic driving pleasure with good feel through the steering wheel which precisely takes you in the direction you want to go without any drama.

And as you can keep going without having to brake and accelerate the bonus is you get improved MPG being ableto maintain 60mpg+ as a consequence of theflatter speed graph achieved.

To offer GTI handling without the insurance bill and other costs associated with this is a remarkable achievement on the part of VW. You do not require GTI type speed to have GTI type fun. You just need a car thatenters and leaves acorner without any drama.

If you can find a dealer demonstrator with the Sports Pack fitted then take it out for a test drive on a road that will do the Sports Pack justice.

You won'tregret it.

vup rider

·
Registered
104 Posts
Yeah but what about the cost of refitting your fillings, on the roads around here it wouild cost me a fortune

·
Registered
301 Posts
Well if it is jittery around town it would be a nightmare up here in Cumbria.

Tbh it's each to there own and we have had some sporty cars in the past (Golf Gti 16v, Pug 306 S16 etc) with sporty ie stiff suspension - this was all ok back in my 20's/30's but then you get to a point in life where comfort is king.

I also found that hard suspension cars are rattle inducers over time.

I'm not sure that there is any need for more than the standard suspension - despite being late 40's / early 50's we still hoof along pdq and have found our up! to be very well composed in fast bends.

·
Registered
532 Posts
I like doing the passes. You'd leave half the car at the road side up Hardknott.

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
I have the sports suspension and it is a bit harsh on the potholes and speed bumps!!

·
Registered
727 Posts
I test drove a Black up! without the sports suspension and it had 14" winter tires on it which added to the mushiness of the ride. I now have the White up! with 16" rims and the sports suspension and yes it does firm the ride up a bit but it's far from being intolerable. I've driven BMWs, Mercs and Audis that were far worse on rough roads than my up! ever is. I can say without any regrets that I'm very pleased with the ride comfort of the sports suspension.

·
Registered
235 Posts
If you want a hard ride, try my (soon to be going) BMW 1-series M-Sport on run flat tyres!!! The combination is so firm that the tyres skip on small ripples and ruts.
It was great on mainland European roads though, so I guess the problem is more about the bad state of our roads than the sports-sprung cars themselves.

·
Registered
532 Posts
I'm a softy. I don't like the 3 series sports suspension and the seats either. I have now taken the runflats and I like supple. Another successful way of getting a better ride, but crippling your car is to take son back to uni with daughter as lifting assistant. Almost reliant robin. (He exaggerated).

I also agree the 1series is too bumpy and the audi A3 also.

·
Registered
587 Posts
I do like the wheels and may well see if I can get an aftermarket set later on. I have owned several 1 Series and they were hard especially on runflat tyres with M Sport suspension.

My current Leon FR on 18" wheels gives a firm ride and you do get use to it. I find the Focus estates I drive for work just seem to wallow in comparison. My Up! is mainly for the urban grind and to save fuel so not so fussed if I cannot conner like MichaelSchumacher. I test drove a White Up! on 16" wheels and the ride seemed about right for me.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
White Up! has the 16" wheels but not the sports suspension which is a £200 extra on that model. Cornered a bend over the weekend without warning to see how the passenger reacted and there was definitely an expression of surprise and shock fromthe passenger. Was told to take things more gently.
More likely to use the sports suspension when I am on my own in the Up! as I am not entirely sure that passengers could cope with being driven in a German mini carthat hasPorsche (or better even?) type handling qualities.

vup rider

Edited by: vup rider

·
Registered
128 Posts
We have the sports pack fitted to our UP!......the difference in ride is minimal.The difference in looks is considerable.The lower ride height and bigger wheels topped off with the blacked out rear windows just make it look so much better.Its the lack of length inwheel base that affects the car more than anything on speed bumps etc. Thats going to be the same for any model configuration.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Absolutely. I test drove both and the sports pack equipped up handled much better with a lot less roll, and at very little expense of ride quality.

people shouldn't confuse the sports pack suspension with that of full fat hot hatches such as fiesta St etc and worry it will turn the up into a hard riding crashing monster. Its still what I would call a compliant ride. As said in this thread, just about right how VW have set it.

·
Registered
692 Posts
Hi, just bought a new High Up with Sport Pack for my wife, and we had a 30 mile test drive on all types of road. I was sceptical about the Sport Pack before the test drive, but needn't have worried. It handled, and rode significantly better than the 61 plate, 15000 mile Toyota Aygo "Ice" that she has at the moment, and it is of infinitely better quality all round. We test drove the new Aygo before we went for the High Up, but found they'd spoilt it with many of the new features.
Both she and I are very happy with the High Up purchase !
Collect it next Tuesday as we are having mats and mudflaps fitted.
Can't wait.

Steve

1 - 14 of 14 Posts