Up Owners Club banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
VW UP GTI
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Not my opinion but has anybody else watched this. The presenter Jayemm doesnt seem to make much of a case for the Lupo in my opinion. Cool and good that the Lupo is. There is not a chance I would take a Lupo GTI over my UP GTI. Would love to own a Lupo GTI as well as my UP though.

Having owned a Polo 16v 6n. It could also be argued that the UP GTI was a successor to this brilliant little car. That I adored so much and was badgered into selling :( :)

·
Registered
454 Posts
I've watched a lot of his videos and respect his opinion generally. I don't agree with him completely re Up vs Lupo, e.g. I don't think the drum brakes are an issue on the Up, but what would be interesting is to get his opinion of an Up on Eibach pro-street coilovers and some light 16" wheels with decent tyres and a sensible remap :)

Someone on here has a Lupo GTI I think ? Would be interested in their thoughts.

·
Registered
434 Posts
I watched the vid when it appeared and have watched quite a few of James’s on YouTube.

I kind of both agree with him and also don’t agree. This might not make all that much sense but the Lupo GTi was a car for then and the Up! GTi is a car for now. The Lupo is a classic and the Up will be. Lupo is more focused and more unique due to the attention that VW gave to its spec and the Up less so but is still very good considering there are many less unique parts and is almost a car created from parts bin selected parts.

As I put in the comments it’s one of those ‘I wish they still made those’ cars if they did still make them I’d buy one along with a Panda 100hp, however… they don’t still make either of them but they do still make the Up! GTi. Gimme gimme!

·
Super Moderator
1,123 Posts
I own both an Up GTI and a Lupo GTI, Lupo is definitely more fun to drive, but both have the 'grin' factor. The Up did feel a little lacking until I got it remapped, whereas the Lupo felt special straight away. It's not a car built by accountants, it's a car built by enthuiast's and not to a budget, hence the aluminium panels, xenon lights, lighter glass amongst other special features. If the Lupo GTI was made today the way it was then, it would definitely be in the £25k+ bracket, possibly more, think Yaris GRZ, as that's a unique model made for a certain demographic, not a budget.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Have you seen the prices of s/h ones.......holy moly
Presently there’s many more for sale than previously and a slight softening of used prices.

However, there’s always a glut of used cars at this time of year as people largely stop buying from December to March. The sensible dealers who want to sell and keep stock moving discount, the greedy ones who are happy to let stuff just sit there keep their price high and wait in the hope that someone will eventually turn up.

In the meantime a general lack of used GTi’s and inflation will keep used prices firm.

Just under 3800 registered by mid 2021in the uk and 160 for sale on Autotrader today not all of which are ‘used’.

·
Registered
VW UP GTI
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I own both an Up GTI and a Lupo GTI, Lupo is definitely more fun to drive, but both have the 'grin' factor. The Up did feel a little lacking until I got it remapped, whereas the Lupo felt special straight away. It's not a car built by accountants, it's a car built by enthuiast's and not to a budget, hence the aluminium panels, xenon lights, lighter glass amongst other special features. If the Lupo GTI was made today the way it was then, it would definitely be in the £25k+ bracket, possibly more, think Yaris GRZ, as that's a unique model made for a certain demographic, not a budget.
Good post I learned a bit here. Obviously you can see how the UP GTI has been built with costs firmly in mind. Things like unlit electric window switches. And no grab handles. Silly stuff like that. Although honestly when compared to my previous higher spec, and higher cost Fiesta Vignale. The UP GTI still feels like a premium product.

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
Just curious... Where was the Lupo assembled and what vehicle(s) did it share its body with? (Albeit probably shortened)

·
Registered
434 Posts
Just curious... Where was the Lupo assembled and what vehicle(s) did it share its body with? (Albeit probably shortened)
According to the internet the Lupo was assembled in Wolfsburg Germany and Belgium.
As such it was a shortened Polo platform which was shared by the Seat Arosa and then VW Lupo.

edited for correctness.

·
Registered
430 Posts
The Lupo GTI does look good. I was thinking of buying one when they were new but never did.

The girl who does car test vids on YT "Auto Social" has one as does "Volkswizard".

The new Polo GTI looks good but the price at around £28 000..........Wow!! I would prefer a new/delivery mileage Mini Cooper automatic at around £22 000.

I still love my UP GTI though and am constantly reminded what an amazing bargain it is.

·
Registered
434 Posts
The Lupo GTI does look good. I was thinking of buying one when they were new but never did.

The girl who does car test vids on YT "Auto Social" has one as does "Volkswizard".

The new Polo GTI looks good but the price at around £28 000..........Wow!! I would prefer a new/delivery mileage Mini Cooper automatic at around £22 000.

I still love my UP GTI though and am constantly reminded what an amazing bargain it is.
The Polo GTi is a bit of a forgotten car, if people want a real GTi they buy a Golf and if they want a small trendy fun city car they buy an Up! I’d love a new Polo it really is a quality product… like a mini Golf… but not at that price.

·
Registered
430 Posts
The Polo GTi is a bit of a forgotten car, if people want a real GTi they buy a Golf and if they want a small trendy fun city car they buy an Up! I’d love a new Polo it really is a quality product… like a mini Golf… but not at that price.

Yes i agree the Polo GTI has always been overlooked. The new model does look excellent and automatic which as you know i love in any car, but the price is crazy.

Lets hope it drops in value a lot on the used market in a couple of years. I know you are not keen on the Mini Cooper but for me a Mini Cooper automatic for thousands less than the Polo GTI and with BMW quality build and interior. I am afraid it would be the Mini every time for me.

·
Registered
VW UP GTI
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I pointed out to swmbo a Polo GTI parked next to us recently. Our UP came in at just under 18k with all the options chosen. But I would be willing to bet the Polo would be around 5k more with similar spec. I actually dont know but I know its an expensive product.

·
Registered
434 Posts
I pointed out to swmbo a Polo GTI parked next to us recently. Our UP came in at just under 18k with all the options chosen. But I would be willing to bet the Polo would be around 5k more with similar spec. I actually dont know but I know its an expensive product.
…at least £5k

I’ve driven both the present and last Polo’s (not GTi’s) they are worlds apart, like this decade and last decade. If you sit in the old one and then the new one it’s like someone else made it. The old version was a bit tired by the end so I guess that shows when comparing them.

Can you get the GTi without DSG? I know of so many people who’ve had horrific bills on those gearboxes over the years in Skodas, Audis, VWs and Seats.

·
Registered
434 Posts
There has also been loads of DSG mods and fixes over time - maybe it works of late?
I wouldn't buy one more than a year or so old though!
Well let’s hope they’ve improved them.

I’ll never be having one myself, i realise everything needs servicing but a gearbox that needs a regular service hmm…
One wet clutch, one dry clutch, oil to water intercooler, intelligent pre-emptive pre-selection of gears.

I knew someone with an Audi TT that had the thing select and engage 2 gears simultaneously BANG!

Another with an Octavia VRS that repeatedly threw codes and put the car into limp mode in the most awkward situations.

I think I’ll just use my foot to operate the clutch and arm to select gears.

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
I am keen to reduce my TCoO on cars, and keep the present one until I can depreciate it to zero, so I definitely prefer a manual.... I even shy away from turbos (actually quite reliable), fancy electronic doo-dads, and complexity as far as I can - "K.I.S.S" is where I am at nowadays, given no fancy company cars for quite a few years...

Manual boxes and clutches are well-understood and reasonably reliable; even changing a clutch is not a big deal compared with fixing an automatic. There is safety in numbers, or at least with stuff that is common....

·
Registered
434 Posts
I am keen to reduce my TCoO on cars, and keep the present one until I can depreciate it to zero, so I definitely prefer a manual.... I even shy away from turbos (actually quite reliable), fancy electronic doo-dads, and complexity as far as I can - "K.I.S.S" is where I am at nowadays, given no fancy company cars for quite a few years...

Manual boxes and clutches are well-understood and reasonably reliable; even changing a clutch is not a big deal compared with fixing an automatic. There is safety in numbers, or at least with stuff that is common....
Yes, that’s what I liked about Caterhams, the beautiful lack of complication, no abs, no airbags, no traction control, depending on which engine the car had no electronics. Therefore I could fix it, service it, upgrade and improve it… myself.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts